RUSS gone

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace RUSS gone

• Author
    SamsmithSmudger
    Participant
    Registered On: August 10, 2014
    Topics: 5

Been told this evening that Wilcox has been let go aswell the whole U23 setup

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

….and you were told by who Smudger, an official source I presume?

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 64

He’s pissed off. In more ways than one!

vadervader
    Participant
    Registered On: October 21, 2017
    Topics: 6

Sad if true, brought some level of stability to things even though he is the architect of negative football.
    I think there is a couple more who should have gone before him.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    IRONINTHEBLOODIRONINTHEBLOOD
    Participant
    Registered On: January 7, 2014
    Topics: 9

Hope the u23 has gone it’s just a waste of time and resources.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 100

….and you were told by who Smudger, an official source I presume?

I know who told Smudger, and he didn’t want it putting on bru at the moment.

SamsmithSmudger
    Participant
    Registered On: August 10, 2014
    Topics: 5

He shouldn’t be discussing it with anyone then if he didn’t want it releasing. Just thought I’d share with the fans

UTI

Bartoniron66Bartoniron66
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 56

Russ is a great bloke and been a great servant to this club! But as I was saying to my nephew the other day about Paul Warne at Rotherham sometimes you just can’t take a club any further.
    Russ has IMO done his best for the club, always been fully committed even after getting the sack but it is now time for younger coaches who are more in touch with the modern game.
    Good luck in your future where ever that my be Russ if this post is true

7 users thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron

but it is now time for younger coaches who are more in touch with the modern game.

But isn’t that what we’ve tried with Cox?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 150

Completely agree BI. But I am glad if he has gone, just for is negative tactics.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant

His negative tactics !!

What about the the present incumbent ? He hasn’t got a clue, his pre-game comments are laughable. His post match ? They are impossible to explain.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

It is rather like a county/test batsman being pilloried when he is forced into using a plastic bat.

MightyIronMightyIron
    Participant
    Registered On: May 26, 2017
    Topics: 0

Which one of Swann’s relatives do we think will replace him?

On a serious note…they should probably look for someone with bricklaying experience, help rebuild the crumbling foundations of the club and lend a hand on the new apartments.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    anoldironanoldiron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 2

Wasn’t the U23s heralded as the future ?

Does this indicate that next seasons signings will be has beens and journey men ?

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

It indicates we don’t have a future!

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 86

More likely young, inexperienced players thrown straight into the first team because there’s nowhere else for them to go and play. Unless, of course, they go the ‘Mooney route’ and immediately send them out on loan where they bench warm in the NL never to be seen again.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 83

It indicates we don’t have a future!

Completely disagree. It’s all well and good setting budget aside for u23’s “players for the future” when your already settled and have strong foundations but it’s nonsensical for us to plan ahead like that now.

Look, we’re deep in the brown stuff and we need all the money we can muster to build the 1st team squad up first and foremost.

The u23’s is a waste of money as we need stability of the first team first, before we even think about the future.

As it stands now it would be much more beneficial if we ended the separate u23 squad and just have one complete squad and either dip the youngsters in and out the first team or send out on loan.

The u23 players who were deemed good enough as first team quality have been training with the 1st team anyway so makes sense to scrap that as a separate venture and make it as once complete squad.

Another stupid decision by Swann in my opinion but at least it looks like it’s been rolled back. I saw the other day on twitter that about 20% of the playing budget has gone on the u23’s set up. I don’t know how accurate that is but that’s what I read.

I’d much rather that be made available for the 1st team squad to help safeguard against signing anymore Turan’s and Jarvis’s.

If we can free the u23 money up and play Jarvis and Turan up, I’d be pleased. I just hope we don’t go down that road ever again.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 38

Or alternatively we put the Turan’s and the Jarvis’ straight into the first team given there are no u23 games to find out how good (or not) they are.

I suspect the amount of cash wasted on Turan, Jarvis and Mooney is a very small proportion of the £11million spent to get us into a worse place than when we started.

Also without Russ giving them a grounding in the clubs preferred tactics (win every game 0-0) where are they going to learn the negative mindset.

Bartoniron66Bartoniron66
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 56

The u23’s takes up alot of the budget just to play 18 or so games a season, but on the plus side it gives injured players a chance to play a reasonable standard of football before getting put back into the first team.
    It is a luxury we just can’t afford at this present time and I think we will try and go down the friendly games route to give injured players a chance to play.
    It will hopefully also give the academy some more funds to bring on the u18’s as these players look like they will be a big part of next seasons squad.
    That squad has been quite successful this season with 4 players being given contracts including scunny lad Harry Lewis, Along with dawson,(if he stays)barks,shrimpton,jessop and silva from last season plus Pugh and hornshaw from 2 seasons these youngsters should I believe be given a chance early on in preseason to see what they can do.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 97

Completely disagree. It’s all well and good setting budget aside for u23’s “players for the future” when your already settled and have strong foundations but it’s nonsensical for us to plan ahead like that now.

Disagree. The whole point of it is to provide a proper future for the club, developing young talent. It’s all very well & good saying we have other priorities in the here & now but if you don’t plan for the future, you’ll regret it when the future comes.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Whether we think the U23’s were a good or bad thing it’s another cost cutting exercise as we head full tilt into shoe string budget mode. Very clever from the Prawn, fuels his ambition on arrival by putting the club in debt, when it goes tits up, grabs the ground and land which he can develop at his leisure as debt covering and not risk a single penny of his outlay by running us as what, a hobby?, that sounds familiar. The football club can go to hell in a handcart but he’s alright Jack. Nice and there’s nowt we can do about it. Very entrepreneurial 😠

Participant

It’s not feasible for a league 2 team of our size and hopefully it will free up a bit of money for the first team, but will hold my breath on that one.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Not always agreed with Russ on tactics but there is no doubts about his professionalism and integrity as a player and a coach over many years for the Iron.

Thank you and good luck with whatever you do next.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Hmm. A reserves team? – Why would that eat up a huge budget?
    I moaned when we stopped having one – it gives so many opportunities to: keep fringe players fresh; get injured players moving gradually to match fitness – and also an opportunity for two or three youngsters to have first encounters with the pro game.

When last we had one, it was unusual not to see five or six youngsters featuring which was downright silly. Used sensibly – could be a good option.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

Completely agree BI. But I am glad if he has gone, just for is negative tactics.

Awaywego—–That statement of yours amazes me, Wilcox was a bit negative, but what about bloody Cox, who you speak well of, if any of our players stray into the other teams box, they get a club fine!!!! One shot a game Coxey.

Participant

Hmm. A reserves team? – Why would that eat up a huge budget?
    I moaned when we stopped having one – it gives so many opportunities to: keep fringe players fresh; get injured players moving gradually to match fitness – and also an opportunity for two or three youngsters to have first encounters with the pro game.

When last we had one, it was unusual not to see five or six youngsters featuring which was downright silly. Used sensibly – could be a good option.

when we had the reserve team last I think it wasn’t used properly, we rarely gave a game to the lads on the first team bench and only played players if they were back from injury for an hour, 90% of players were youth team players who had played the previous Saturday.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Russ used negative tactics for about the last 12 games of the L2 promotion season when we were clearly the best team in the division.

Got us promoted but certainly cost us a comfortable championship and frayed the nerves of supporters.

I think Cox has been negative tactically because he knows he has one of the poorest teams in the League. Russ would have done the same but probably got us to finish 2 or 3 places higher had he been in charge this season.

BucksironBucksiron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 16

Unless the rules have changed it’s very difficult for small clubs to develop real talent given that the best are now taken by the bigger ones at a very early age.

In the current financial climate this was always likely to happen.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron

when we had the reserve team last I think it wasn’t used properly,

Back in the dim and distant past of reserve teams we didn’t have 18 man match day squads.

We didn’t play every Tuesday and Saturday, and we certainly didn’t have Mickey Mouse trophy competitions where the first games were in a mini league and the big clubs’ U21s were included.

As Bucks says unless you’re a big club with billionaire owners it is very difficult to run a successful system within your budget.

Which is probably why we have seen the less able products of PL academies finding their way out on loan to clubs like Scunthorpe United.

Another example of where the playing field is anything but level.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 97

Unless the rules have changed it’s very difficult for small clubs to develop real talent given that the best are now taken by the bigger ones at a very early age.

In the current financial climate this was always likely to happen.

How have the rules changed in the last couple of years since the U23s plan was unveiled?

I think the move to scrap this is a real backwards step, I was fully onboard with having a dedicated development squad (although it would have been nice to see some more results from it by now but that doesn’t undermine the basic idea).

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.