Welcome to the National league

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Welcome to the National league

• Author
    CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant
    Registered On: October 16, 2021
    Topics: 1

Firstly I’m not here to gloat . Despite the fact we’re rivals I’ve always looked on Scunthorpe as a similar club to ourselves in the fact that we’re from unfashionable clubs and towns that have punched above our weight.
    I’m old enough to remember visits the Old Show Ground, a proper ground rather than the soulless corrugated chicken coop next to a shopping centre you have now .
    The first 20 years I supported Grimsby, we spent 15 of those in what now would be the championship , the last 20 years of mismanagement and failure have been shocking.
    When we fell from grace and you had your rise up the leagues , unlike many town fans I actually wanted you to do well , I’ve always supported the underdog ,we had our moments of glory why shouldn’t you .
    We had a terrible chairman for 17 years and it took a lot to get him out , but for all his mistakes he never took the ground away from us like Swanny has done to you .
    Most town fans although they would never admit it, have a great deal of sympathy and can see the similarities .
    The national league is horrible , probably the hardest division to get out of in football .
    I think unless you get new owners you’re in for a rude awakening. Despite the rivalry I wouldn’t want to see you fold . Keep supporting your team , owners, managers and players change but fans don’t .
    Up the Mariners , but also Swann out !

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Thank-you for the kind words. I can’t speak for every Scunthorpe fan, but I love having games together. I hope we can both recover so we can have have games together in the league.

Grimsby are our biggest rivals and it would be sad to not have that game again. The way it’s going I could see us going bust. :-(

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Grange Lane IronGrange Lane Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 3

Class post thank you very much. Lets hope we’re back having football league matches against each other again sometime. I never ever imagined Scunthorpe v Grimsby in the conference/national league. It still might not happen of course (if you win the playoffs)

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

A really nice post captain, thank you!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant

We have to get to the play offs first . We had a good result today against Stockport , who to be honest are by far and away the best team I’ve seen this year in the national league . But they are being bankrolled by a multi millionaire and have division one players and are paying division one wages . That’s how unreal this league is . Our average attendance at home is about 5600 and we are 6th in this league on attendances!
    I’ve seen us win at Goodison park , Anfield , St James park , Upton Park and Stamford bridge in the halycon days and also seen us get spanked 5-0 by Braintree in the national league .
    I can always remember your game against millwall in the play offs which I wanted you to win, what a great game of football that was .
    I’m always grateful for being a town fan . If you support a top prem team you’re used to winning , Wembley visits are par for the course , if you’re a lower league club like ourselves every game against the top clubs sticks in your memory , it’s like you’ve won the World Cup !
    Football is cyclical , keep the faith !

6 users thanked author for this post.
    CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant

P.S thanks for Macatee, what a player he’s been for us this year , the last striker I can remember us signing from you was Tony Dawes , that didn’t work out too well

morris left footmorris_left_foot
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 2

Capt, thanks for the kind words. The truth for us now is that we are in the most uncertain of times. The only certainty is the relegation. We don’t know where the future of the club will be. Are there actually buyers who wish to take onboard a club with no real assets and a debt that is likely beyond the means of most to repay? Will we have a ground to play in? There is nothing to stop Swann seeking the land as commercial, I’m sure there would be takers for that. Then what…?

The glory days, like those of Grimsby, were fantastic memories and mean at least as much to me as another trophy for Liverpool or one of the other big clubs. Flounders, Daws, Calvo-Garcia, Gayle… Mean nothing to most people outside of Scunthorpe but each of those lads brought something to the club and I’m grateful! This was before the Millennium bug was a thing!

Now, a squad bereft of quality, a youth policy that bears precious little fruit, a number of players who seem to compete… to spend time with the medical team and a senior leadership team that is offering precious little actual leadership. Many similarities to Town, but unfortunately I think we are scraping the barrel harder than your club did.

We will move on. Next year always brings hope, our hope is to stabilise and begin the journey of putting together a competitive team for our new level. The current squad would struggle to survive for sure.

All the best. UTI!!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant

Morris I agree with you completely, swanny has screwed you .The very last match before lockdown I saw was against you lot at GLanford park when Ian Hollow words was in charge . We beat u 2-0 and we thought things could only get better . Little did we know he only came here on the back of a dodgy land deal with our ex chairman and a convicted fraudster !
    Although your debts on the ground are bigger than ours , our new owners have given us a new outlook . We’ve had money coming in from sales of players which have gone to paying off our ex chairman’s loans which he insisted were benign and he’d never call in . Mainly like Peter Swann they were due to his own bad decisions .
    Like Swann he blamed the fans , but since he’s gone our attendances have risen by 40 percent despite us being 7th in the national league .
    The club is now being run in the right way , we might not go up this year or for the next 5 years but the fans can see the difference .
    As you said hope is the key word , with Swann you have none .

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

With Swann we’re just passing through the National. We’re like ships in the night Capt. At least your ship is being steered properly now. Good luck to you.

BobbyGmeisterBobbyGmeister
    Participant
    Registered On: January 12, 2014
    Topics: 47

I’m hoping the Codheads win the play offs, we’re in no fit state to be playing them next season!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Scunny fans wanting the codheads promoted, give yourself a good talking to you bloody idiots. Oh Deerey me.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I’m hoping the Codheads win the play offs, we’re in no fit state to be playing them next season!

The only time I’d like to see Grimsby promoted is if they’re going up into the same division as us. Rivalries are pointless if they’re never played. But wanting them promoted above us? No chance!

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

We need as many local teams as possible to give us a decent gate.

We ain’t going to get a full house against Wealdstone!

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 106

I will settle for 3 points NI, whatever they are.

barriethomasbarriethomas
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 41

Memories of visits to Blundell Park. Once went on the back of a Honda 50 !! ( not much good when a quick getaway was required) Another time in an Austin 30. Seeing a Scunny Councillor with his face all battered and torn. Paddy Sloan Hat Trick. Normally they had the upper hand though. Been a few times as a neutral too, Newcastle and West Ham spring to mind. Grimsby Town had some fine players then, including some very skilful midfield men plus their share of hard nuts. Spoke to Steve Sherwood in Broughton recently, lovely bloke. Loved my visits to the programme shop on Cleggy front, Dave is a lovely man. UTWI

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

I saw David Sloans hat trick. Also 7-1 thrashing on an early season evening.

BobbyGmeisterBobbyGmeister
    Participant
    Registered On: January 12, 2014
    Topics: 47

Scunny fans wanting the codheads promoted, give yourself a good talking to you bloody idiots. Oh Deerey me.

It was a joke, Neanderthal.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Too dry for the Bernard Manning of Bru

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Bit harsh on Bernard. He was a sexist, racist bigot but very occasionally he was funny.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Of course it was BG and pleased to see Deerey got your joke as well.lol. Maybe you and Deerey could form a double act.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Not the worst this season but another poor referee today.

Makes you wonder how bad they are going to be in the division below.

Always IronAlways Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: March 26, 2014
    Topics: 4

Can’t for the life of me think why any Scunny fan would want to see our nearest rivals promoted under any circumstances, especially this season. That’s how I see it.
    Potentially at least 11 grounds next season where the services of LNER may be required. Due to the inadequacies of our local train networks, we are considering using a designated driver and starting our journeys from Retford.

CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant

The standard of the refs in this league are probably worse than you can imagine .
    As are some of the grounds and the standard of football on show. Most teams with the exception of 3 or 4 of the bigger ex league clubs will bring away fans numbering in the tens rather than the hundreds . That’s probably one of the main things that will hit your income stream .
    However we are both where we are . One things for sure though if we don’t go up ,Blundell Park will be a sell out against you lot , and Glandford Park not far off either . We could sell as many tickets as you give us. Before some one points it out, I’m well aware it’s not Glanford Park anymore , but that’s the name I’ve always known it as before it was renamed after one mans vanity project .
    Obviously I want us to win the play offs , but if we don’t the games against you will be the ones I look forward to the most next season .

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘Can’t for the life of me think why any Scunny fan would want to see our nearest rivals promoted under any circumstances,’

It was a joke, a bit of ironic humour. Simple as that.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Of course you would sell as many tickets we would give you Cod, after all your a really big club why not remind us that you took 30’000 to Wembley, by the way what league are you in and when was the last time you finished above Scunthorpe in the lge. Just saying

Deereyme66Deereyme66

It is possible to have a civil and meaningful conversation with our biggest rivals without resorting to playground talk.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

I see that in the absence of old friends, now departed; Awaywego has taken over the role of chief wind-up merchant.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Of course you would sell as many tickets we would give you Cod, after all your a really big club why not remind us that you took 30’000 to Wembley, by the way what league are you in and when was the last time you finished above Scunthorpe in the lge. Just saying

2020 was the last time they did that, ;-)

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I see that in the absence of old friends, now departed; Awaywego has taken over the role of chief wind-up merchant.

Don’t worry NI, Bucks is back in another thread. :-)

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

And there was me thinking the Cod was belittling us, oh dear wrong again never mind. The 2020 season was never finished for them to finish above us.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.