Wealdstone

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Wealdstone

• Author
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Can tell the manager is starting to make his mark on the team now. Nothing over complicated, Everyone knew what their role was, simple shape, and we displayed a ruthless streak rarely seen in games. It was not dissimilar to the 1st half at Solihull but crucially we took our chances.

Bennett is exactly the type of striker we need in this system, and he put in a great shift today. Cam will now be attracting interst from others so hopefully he has contract beyond June. Leake is a very good defender for this level and is now showing he has abit of nous up higher up too with his runs- again, clearly progressing under Dean’s management.

It’s good we are starting to get some consistency with the team selection now and In hindsight Bunker and Fewster returning will not be a bad thing.

Still believe we are down but if we can maintain that level of performance then punters will turn out next year to watch us.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Square Ball BullimoreSquare Ball Bullimore
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 5

It’s not over yet…. Other results all favourable and it still kind of in our hands, bar Notts County which is naturally a big ask against a goalscorer on fire. You just never know

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

Shields had a really good game today. Got through plenty of dirty work but looks pretty good technically too.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

Leake’s goal was one of the best at Glanford park in a long while

billpuntonsghostbillpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 72

Probably the last memorable goal with a similar style was the goal scored by
    Hakeeb Adelakun .

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Shields or Feeney?

Shields by a country mile, we look a genuine threat out wide now with him and Wilson on either flanks. I like Shields from what I’ve seen so far, hard working and he’s direct.

Shields doesn’t piss about with it either, soon as he get’s a chance he get’s the ball whipped in which is how a winger should play. I like the fact he can go and take people on down either side.

Only will get better too as he’s still getting his match fitness. Bennett is what we’ve been crying out for up top. Pugh and Shrimpton we have two mobile, athletic , very hardworking midfielders which cover the ground fanatically well.

Solid at the back again and where the hell did that come from ?. A Jake Leake worldie run and calm finish. Shields and Wilson outstanding out wide and Butterfield was Butterfield.

Is it finally coming together now the players are becoming match fit ?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Great performance and result … the survival door still open and with games against Gateshead , Torgquay and Dorking still to come as Loyd says … SO THERE IS A CHANCE !! btw i uploaded the whole vid as the first part is so so funny ..

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

just noticed we have to play Oldham at GP on 10th April …. i hope Nuttal and or Devarn Green dont come back to haunt us .. Nuttal scoring a winner in front of the Donny rd end may not go down too well.. looking all other fixtures if we can replicate yesterdays performance all winnable with Notts County being the only one thats really asking a tad too much though they are slipping up at the vital time and handing the promotion place to Wrexham on a plate at the mo.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 59

Yeah, the Dorking game on the last day of the season may turn out to be a ‘winner takes all’ game, thus retaining their NL status?
    Oh the excitement… ‘I could boil an egg’

SimonthemarinerSimonthemariner
    Participant
    Registered On: April 17, 2022
    Topics: 1

Took in your game yesterday with my mate’Awaywego’😂 and your survival in the NL started yesterday. A great all round performance from the boys and passion from a manager at both pre match and post match interviews, Also a perfect time to play out of form Notts county, I predict a 1-1 draw

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Dean sees the benefit of having home fans in all 4 stands hope they carry it on next season and maybe the Torquay game as well.

TwoWrightsTwoWrights
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 4

That was some goal by Leake, he’ll do well to score a better one in his career. 🙂

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Think Shields has been brought in as a natural replacement for Feeney and is looking better every game he plays. Feeney is still a good impact sub and will be useful as such for the rest of the season if he can stay fit after that bad hamstring injury, they have a habit of flaring up again as a player gets older. I think most people are thinking this is Feeney’s last season with us anyway.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 104

WG wrote:-
    “Pugh and Shrimpton we have two mobile, athletic , very hardworking midfielders which cover the ground fanatically well.”

I must be missing something here. Pugh runs around a lot, puts in a few tackles (some fair, mostly fouls) but is clueless when on the ball and we’ve seen evidence of his shooting ability. However he is visible, I’m still trying to work out what Shrimpton does. Whitehouse better than both IMO.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I agree about Whitehouse but nobody contributes the energy that Pugh does.
    Shrimpton’s progress from last season is stunning. If he can maintain that increasing improvement – looks like a season-changing big sale to the Championship next year.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

“Shrimpton’s progress from last season is stunning. If he can maintain that increasing improvement – looks like a season-changing big sale to the Championship next year.”

I’m thinking too much Irish.

“nobody contributes the energy that Pugh does.”

Don’t confuse energy with ability.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Cassidy, when you have 2 midfield sitters who screen the back 4 they have to cover an awful lot of ground and be able to get constantly up and down the pitch to bridge the gap to the midfield 3 who are naturally a lot further up.

Whitehouse can’t get around the pitch like Pugh and Shrimpton, he simply doesn’t have the athleticism and running power of either of those two.

Does Pugh have deficiencies?, yes but he’s definitely improved, in fact I think he’s improved a lot. Shooting is crap mind and is passing is a little off at times but he brings a lot to this team and him and Shrimpton compliment each other incredibly well in there.

I was wrong about Shrimpton not being able to play that role as I didn’t think he’d be disciplined enough but he’s proved me wrong.

Whitehouse is a good solid player but he’s no world beater either. Whitehouse in a midfield 3 yes but not screening the back 4, he hasn’t got the legs/mobility.

Guarantee we took Pugh out and played Whitehouse in his place, we’d get played through a lot more easily. Maybe you see Whitehouse as a lower league Patrick Viera, cassidy ?

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

No I see him as better than Pugh and Shrimpton, he can tackle and he can pass. If you have good positional sense you don’t need to run around aimlessly chasing the ball. We all see different things in a game and opinions differ, if they didn’t there’d be b.. all to discuss on here.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

In that particular position you have to have the athleticism and running power to be able to cover an awful lot of ground, not only that they need to cover it quickly due to the large gap they have to cover.

What you’re saying is true about if a player is good enough in terms of positional sense and have a really good passing range but that doesn’t really apply at this level. If there was a player who had anticipation, positional sense and had a varied passing range then they wouldn’t be playing at this level of football.

In my opinion that only comes into play further up the football pyramid, not at this standard. Stick him in a 3 in the middle but not a screening midfielder. Bunker excelled there as well but he again was athletic and was able to get around the pitch.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 59

Were beaten 2-0 at home yesterday by Barnet.
    On their forum, the fans have being saying for several weeks that their season is finished now that they are safe.
    We flattered to deceive last week.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.