Warrington Town FC

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Warrington Town FC

• Author
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

One of those days, created enough to win 3 games. Mixture of resolute defending, bad luck, and just not being clinical enough: another day we score 4.

Centre mid is still not right for me, I think Clunan is still playing far too close to the centre backs and leaving big gaps in the middle, often from the second ball their number 17 had acres of space to break into. Nicholson was due a bad at the office, as was Whitehall who should’ve done better with those headers

Positives to take once the dust settles: Roberts for me is looking more dangerous by the game in that number 10 position, the wing backs are also 10/20 yards higher further up the pitch and thus creating more. We are leaving ourselves more vulnerable as was proven by Warrington’s chances, but I’d rather seeing us taking the game to a opposition rather than passing it around the backline constantly.

Another good turnout too.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

I guess we knew days like yesterday would come along, so frustrating at the sloppiness but loving some of the creative stuff that opened Warrington up at times, just the finish was lacking to complement the build up. Looking at the league table tells us our start has been excellent but yesterday’s overall performance was disappointing but hey ho on we go.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I think that we are a player short, CBRP.
    I’m far from convinced that Scales and Roberts can play in the same midfield. For me, it throws the balance right out of kilter.
    Every regular on here probably knows that I was a great admirer of Bish: not only a pretty big guy but he brought a kind of order and control to CM which we currently lack. Clunan is a good player but is rather slight of build.
    Clearly, we can’t afford a player with all of Bishop’s attributes but there must be a player in NLN or NLS hewn out of a similar mould that we could chase down.
    Currently, this really is one of the smaller midfields I’ve seen over the last half century.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Warrington’s number 17, Dixon, was a solid midfielder who held their centre line together. Good player with a handy shot on him.

RoamingBullRoamingBull
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 4

Strange game tbh, first 10 minutes thought Warrington were in for a hiding after that initial spell it was poor.
    Kicking into home end first half changed the mentality even as a supporter I groaned and knew it was going to be a dull.

How the ref let there keeper waste what felt like quarter of the game to take goal kicks is beyond me and must admit it’s pretty poor showing seeing a keeper disappear into the stand to recover a ball too.

As someone Away pointed out the midfield is too lightweight with Nixon knocking everyone off the ball.
    Thought Denton played okay bar from not being able to control the ball near the end!! Jeez.
    Roberts MOM??? Really!!
    Piss poor defending for the goal from allowing the cross in the first place to allowing the player to score from a cross at such close range.

Warrington had a plan, stuck to it.

Are we actually capable of this perfect performance? Not sure we are tbh. Passing is awful.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    IronfanIronfan
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 2

Passing and decision making can be poor at times, however, we need to remember that the players are regional football standard. If they were better, they’d be playing higher up the football pyramid

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Picture of the penalty that Roberts should have got instead of a booking.
    Away end needs addressing if not fans in there at least ball boys we still have a youth team that could do the job without any cost.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Passing and decision making can be poor at times, however, we need to remember that the players are regional football standard. If they were better, they’d be playing higher up the football pyramid

Some, far too much, of our passing was pub league standard. I could accept NLN standard as a minimum, don’t forget some of these players have played above NLN.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Less inclined to apportion blame on to the coaching team over Passing-gate. We are set up right, tactics are right, creating enough chances and defending well. We know the players have better passing and control in them. They just need to improve in this respect is my opinion.

IronSteveSteve
    Participant
    Topics: 0

I think that we are a player short, CBRP.
    I’m far from convinced that Scales and Roberts can play in the same midfield. For me, it throws the balance right out of kilter.
    Every regular on here probably knows that I was a great admirer of Bish: not only a pretty big guy but he brought a kind of order and control to CM which we currently lack. Clunan is a good player but is rather slight of build.
    Clearly, we can’t afford a player with all of Bishop’s attributes but there must be a player in NLN or NLS hewn out of a similar mould that we could chase down.
    Currently, this really is one of the smaller midfields I’ve seen over the last half century.

Far from convinced with our midfield?

We sit top after 8 games winning 6 of them and drawing the other two whilst conceding TWO?

Unbelievable some of the garbage that comes from our ‘fans’

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Not sure it’s garbage but it’s definitely an opinion

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

It’s not “garbage” it’s an opinion. They are allowed on a forum, you don’t have to agree.

RoamingBullRoamingBull
    Participant
    Topics: 4

Les has a point though. We are lightweight in the midfield far too easily knocked of the ball.

If we’d had that Nixon in Centre midfield with clunan,Robert’s and co off him we’d be some force.
    Nixon ran the midfield and for a big bloke had some decent footwork

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I think Les has a point too though I would say if we tightened up our passing, control and finishing we wouldn’t be having this conversation. How many MotM has Clunan had in recent games? 2?

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

I think we need a little perspective here;

As annoying as it is (and it is annoying), we must accept that the players will make mistakes and passing will go awry from time to time. These players are plying their trade at this level for a reason. If they weren’t prone to mistakes they would likely be playing in the EFL and not in the National North for Scunthorpe United.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

I get what Les is saying but I think we’d be sinking further into NLN style by getting our own Dixon.
    I thought their number 17 Dixon should have had three yellow cards but only got one.
    If we had him or someone similar they could get into a knock each other off the ball contest with the opposition’s version of Dixon and they’d probably be suspended half the time.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

All the talk at the gym this morning was about Nixon on how well he played and saying the club should be trying to get him here.
    Certainly made a good impression on people not heard it about anyone else before, just saying!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘All the talk at the gym this morning’

Basically you and the person on the cross trainer next to yours?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

‘All the talk at the gym this morning’

Basically you and the person on the cross trainer next to yours?

Does this mean the stereotype surrounding gym goers may be accurate, just a bunch of meatheads? Lol.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

There’s always plenty of camel meat on show, well toes at least Ironawe, so your maybe not to far off.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

That’s right get your sexist joke in as per usual, at least you’ve informed us why you really go to the gym, saddo.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Nothing wrong in looking and at the end of the day and it would be rude not to, especially when so many of them make such an effort, any one in lycra at a gym knows what there doing and fair play to them.
    After the gym I normally go swimming so make what you want of that.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Must be difficult for you swimming dragging your knuckles on the bottom of the pool all the time.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

I didn’t actually ask for a Dixon. Mind you …

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Les has a point though. We are lightweight in the midfield far too easily knocked of the ball

Bang on. I said the same straight after the game. I also think we not only need somebody next to Clunan who’s a lot more robust, I also think we need more of a ball player next to Clunan who has that bit of composure to take a little look up and calmly lay the ball off.

Brogan every time I’ve seen him appears to have that level of calmness and ability to be able to take a deep breath and look up to pick a pass out. I admire scales work rate and effort but everything is a 100 miles an hour with him and lacks that bit of quality.

I know Barrows has looked pretty good at RB, but I’d put Scales there. The best football and performances I’ve seen from Scales has been when he played those games at right wing back last season and also looked really good there in pre season. Clunan doesn’t need moving and Roberts looks fairly good, but it’s scales who needs swopping out for Brogan in my opinion.

That Bohan-Dixon for Warrington looked a real player. Big, strong but was athletic with a good turn of pace and had a good pass on him too. I was surprised when I saw he was 34yrs old.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

We have seen Scales cover at RB during matches – and I often thought the same thing, WG. However, I’d be pretty reluctant to remove Barrows from the team.
    One niggling concern of mine is that I am unsure as to whether Roberts works to his best in this formation.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Always thought Roberts is most effective running in from the wing. In the 10 role he seems to run in to defenders too often, though he is improving in that position i think

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Agree with that point about Roberts although a person of his ability should be able to flourish in whatever midfield/forward role he is asked to play and I agree also that he is improving in his new role this season.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Agree but I’m a big advocate of using players to the best of their ability so would prefer him on the wing a bit more where he seems more effective

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Roberts has moments where he shows his class with incisive passes, but occasionally seems to blunder into a defender. A bit frustrating, but has the potential to open up the opposition’s defence.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.