Warrington Town FC

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Warrington Town FC

• Author
    PhilAndersPhilAnders
    Participant
    Registered On: July 10, 2017
    Topics: 5

With a number of the top 10 playing each other this Saturday, our fixture this weekend gives us the opportunity to open a further gap on our early promotion rivals.
    Warrington Town Fc were originally given odds of 33/1 having been one of the teams promoted into our league for last season. We did the double over them last year (1-0 at the Attis, 2-0 at their place). This term, They started off with a defeat away to Kings Lynn, a home win against Peterborough Sports, a defeat away to South Shields and then a shock home win against Kidderminster, since then however they have lost at home to both Needham Market and Farsley Celtic. Apart from the opening day loss to Kings Lynn (3-1), all the other games have been close, decided by the odd goal. They completed their 4th home game on the spin on Tuesday drawing 1-1 with Leamington.
    Reviewing their video highlights: Warrington main attacking strategy is to hoof it long for their skilful 11 ( Rodwell -Grant) 18 (Bohan-Dixon) to chase down the channels with 17 (Sithole) bombing on from MF to support. The strikers are both tall and useful in the air.They do have a couple of players accurate with free kicks from around the edge of the box and their delivery from corners is good ( that’s how they scored against Kiddy).

Defensively they have a high press,( which did prevent Kiddy getting the ball out to their left) but are vulnerable to quick movement along the flanks and once you are onto their back line they are weak at tracking runners from opponents midfield into their box. If I were Kian Scales or Callum Robert’s I would fancy myself for a goal. In the whole they are a better attacking team than defending, so as long as we don’t try and sit on a 1-0 lead we should be fine! Let’s hope we don’t allow them to be a banana skin!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

Iron 4-0 Town

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Iron 3.5 – 0.25 Warrington.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Surely the perfect game this Saturday to give that ” complete performance ” AB says we still haven’t produced yet. Home advantage, big partizan crowd cheering the team on, ok best not to get carried away but we could be in an even stronger position as league leaders because all the pieces are in place for the Iron to really deliver this next home game.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Agreed. That’s what’s worrying me!

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

Given the recent results from both teams we should be going into the match with a high level of confidence. That said, the team needs to make sure they stay focused and cut out those miss-placed passes that have become far to common in the recent matches. The advantage of having a manager like Andy Butler means that he will be doing all he can to ensure that the team do not go into the match thinking they’ve already won.

I expect Warrington to setup for damage limitation, and they will be heavily focused on defence and attempting to catch us on the break. My prediction is as follows:

Scunthorpe 3 Warrington 0
    Attendance: 4796 (118 away)

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I think the final score could depend on how soon we score the first goal (If we do)
    An early first could open the floodgates or we could be frustrated for long periods and have to be content with a scruffy 1-0.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Agreed Cass, often saw last year that when we scored early it often resulted in their game plan going right out the window. Concentration levels have to remain high and not take anything for granted; Tidy up on the passing especially and we are due to give someone a good hammering.

Iron 3-0 Warrington
    Att: 4098

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

What I’ve been impressed with so far this season is the way Butler has come up with different plans to beat different teams. We don’t have the one-size-fits-all approach of Dean. Which is not to say that Butler will always come up with the right option but it does give me hope that he’ll have had Warrington properly scouted and will know their strengths and weaknesses.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    IronIronIronIronIronIron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 6

We will keep the run going.

3-0

PhilAndersPhilAnders
    Participant
    Registered On: July 10, 2017
    Topics: 5

I expect that most teams will come to the Attis at the moment aiming to sit back, soak up the pressure and hit us on the break. Us scoring in the first half ( the earlier the better) is essential to scupper that plan and proceed to a healthy win. With this in mind, I hope that AB is working hard to eliminate the poor passing of the first half of the last two games. Only then will we see the sort of performance that this squad is showing signs of being capable of delivering!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

More ‘at it’ from the off with better passing.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

No game is a given. Worrying thing for me is people making comments about our poor passing.

It is not good enough for any player at this level whose quality of pass is sub standard. Good passing saves time, it builds attacks quicker and with a lot more accuracy. Goals can be scored quicker.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

I predict a comfortable win but echoing the statements on here about poor passing creeping into our game, some of the distribution against Curzon was really poor. Not naming names but it was clear to see on Tuesday. Too many stray passes short and long (some of the long passes gid knows who they thought were in that area of the pitch). Cut those mistakes out and we’re really shaping up.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

A fair number of players were sloppy, including Whitehall, though I have to say his hold up play and assured layoffs, particularly in the second half were a pleasure to see.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Good to hear the singers loud pre-match

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Frustrating. Along with the sloppiness again how has that not gone in, in added time? Looks like their keeper got fingers to it

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Got to take our chances. We created enough to win, but Whitehall was poor and Beestin went missing. Nicholson had his poorest game. Oh well, but if someone said we’d get 7 points in the next 3 games before Kidderminster we’d have been satisfied. Just need to work on passing and making the right decision in the final third. So many poor first touches and offset passes in crucial areas.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

At least 50% more wretched passes than in the Curzon game.
    We certainly did not deserve 3 points!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I think we did enough to win that with chances created. Got to be more clinical and improve passing but I’m not overly concerned. Still plenty of positives.

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

We created a lot of chances, but conceded a fair few too…defence was way too exposed for my liking.

Passing was atrocious, seriously school boy stuff! And a shame their keeper managed to pull off a world class save at the end.

TwoWrightsTwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 4

J Rodwell-Grant, if Carlsberg did irony.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

I missed the attendance.
    ?

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

4432 les.
    Warrington should have lost – but didn’t deserve to.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

First of all well done Warrington for winning the toss and switching ends,we really do need to be kicking into our own fans both halves at home if Warrington could see that little things like that can give them an heads up why cant our owners Put the away fans in the corner.
    Well done Warrington you got the draw you come for, piss poor finishing today from us today guess we’ll get them days, once we scored we went to sleep for the next 7 minutes till they scored poor defending from Evans for the goal. the hooligan had a mare today absolutely diabolical passing from him how did he stay on, Roberts subd 30 mins to late,
    Far to slow today and not at the races yet we should have still we could have won at a canter, agh well move on it’s not the end of the world.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Posted post Kiddy:-
    “Passing practice for all.”
    Nothing changes.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Fair assessment IMO awaywego

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Aside from a spell at the end it was really poor. Proper lack of quality. Nicholson somehow got worse in the second half kept on only for his throws no doubt (equally ineffective). Take each match as it comes, some we’ve played well other not great but won. This game the worst I’ve seen (I didn’t see Chorley). Butler needs to sort the passing out though, major concern.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Isn’t the poor passing down to the players more than Butler? Hope a lot are rested for the cup. Might do em good. Maybe the heavy training schedule is having a detrimental effect on the passing and first touches?

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

Too many players had an off day in the same game.
    Nicholson in particular had a nightmare, take the point and move on.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.