This saga is unending but I hope it resolves like this

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace This saga is unending but I hope it resolves like this

• Author
    fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Nobody at all who has sided with Hilton against fans should ever be allowed near the boardroom or terraces, the disgusting abuse aimed at some of my/our friends and others on here and other platforms thanks to their dog whistles, using their elevated position amongst fans is in my opinion the worst thing to come out of this short Hilton era

1 user thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Jason Herbert needs binning off for starters. I saw the video of him throwing Aiden Mccartney’s phone and then wonders why he was pissed off.

I’d rather it all wasn’t constantly raked over though in all fairness. I’d rather get everybody united.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

Nobody at all who has sided with Hilton against fans should ever be allowed near the boardroom or terraces, the disgusting abuse aimed at some of my/our friends and others on here and other platforms thanks to their dog whistles, using their elevated position amongst fans is in my opinion the worst thing to come out of this short Hilton era

My guess is you’re referring to the potential of Simon taking over? If so, I’d have to say I agree. It’s not something I’d want, after the way things have gone in the last several months. Browbeating people to support Hilton.

I’ve always thought he was playing politics to elevate his position – right from his early days when he appeared out of nowhere and was suddenly everywhere, courting popularity. Not sure he’s got any money anyway – looked to me like Sharp was useful to him at the right time.

The ambulance chasing photo on Twitter tonight (him with a hospital bed bound JD) kind of says it all, for me, and was the end of it as far as any benefit of the doubt is concerned. It felt like a cynical political campaign manoeuvre. Don’t trust him, I’m afraid.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Jason Herbert needs binning off for starters. I saw the video of him throwing Aiden Mccartney’s phone and then wonders why he was pissed off.

I’d rather it all wasn’t constantly raked over though in all fairness. I’d rather get everybody united.

The phone thing is reason enough for him to get banned forever, imho.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

At the very least Elliott should make some serious apologies if he wants to get involved with the board room ever again. There will be anger and disgruntlement from some quarters without it, and with justification after his social media comments.

I also think Apollo is right in that he doesn’t have the money to help sustain the club.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

At the very least Elliott should make some serious apologies if he wants to get involved with the board room ever again. There will be anger and disgruntlement from some quarters without it, and with justification after his social media comments.

I also think Apollo is right in that he doesn’t have the money to help sustain the club.

Yes, I agree with that as well. To be honest, I’m not even sure what he could offer the club anyway, at that level?

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

My guess is you’re referring to the potential of Simon taking over? If so, I’d have to say I agree. It’s not something I’d want, after the way things have gone in the last several months. Browbeating people to support Hilton.

I’ve always thought he was playing politics to elevate his position – right from his early days when he appeared out of nowhere and was suddenly everywhere, courting popularity. Not sure he’s got any money anyway – looked to me like Sharp was useful to him at the right time.

The ambulance chasing photo on Twitter tonight (him with a hospital bed bound JD) kind of says it all, for me, and was the end of it as far as any benefit of the doubt is concerned. It felt like a cynical political campaign manoeuvre. Don’t trust him, I’m afraid.

He seemed to leave Ireland fairly quickly after setting up shop and bringing a couple of his mates to work over there.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

For me … I think the best way forward is to let recriminations and grievances go. This has been a nightmare of speculation and confusion. In such scenarios people often lose their bearings, get heated and step over the line. Apologies for genuine errors of judgment … fair enough. But talk of ‘binning off’ and ‘banning.’ Won’t be long before someone compiles a list I suppose. I hope it’s not too big … we’re going to need every supporter we can get. How about taking advice from ‘Frozen’ and just let it go.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

I’ve yet to see public condemnation of Hilton from Elliot, that worries me.

Herbert should be banned for throwing Aidan’s phone alone. Karma is a wonderful thing though, and In all honesty I don’t think the fans will forget his part played in this.

The advocateMark B
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 0

Agreed as it’s normally best to keep the bitterness alive and make sure we don’t unite going forward.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Yes, I agree Mark you’re right , so people can pretend they care about unity in order justify past actions that they encouraged and to justify people being rewarded for extreme reckless and disgusting behaviour that led to death threats ,doxxing and journalists being physically attacked I’ll take back what I said above

inspectorinspector
    Participant
    Registered On: September 11, 2016
    Topics: 11

It is perhaps worthy of note that S.E. didn’t join the new Board.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Nice to see you lads getting stuck in early lol. Makes you wonder what kind of owner you would be happy with I mean bloody hell I already made Simon a Saint. Like in the words from son of Swann “Morons”

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

An owner and manager you could trust would be nice!

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Nice to see you lads getting stuck in early lol… “Morons”

That’s not necessary, imho.

Personally I’m not “getting stuck in”. I’m only offering the same opinion that I would have offered whatever circumstance and whatever his position. That could have been bloke on the terrace, local journalist, catering manager, programme seller, Director, ball-fetcher or whatever. I’d still say that I thought he was in it for his own ego and profile. That opinion is based on observation, not plucked out of thin air for the sake of “getting stuck in”.

I’m completely prepared to be wrong, to be proved otherwise… But when you stand back and look at it, his main thing seems to be little more than elevating himself and inserting himself in things, and absolutely making sure he’s visible and perceived as a figurehead (eg. last night’s photo in the hospital with Jimmy Dean). That’s ego.

This year, he hasn’t really done anything else other than browbeat people to support Hilton. I don’t understand why people think he’s a saint, or would be a good bet for running the club.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

It is perhaps worthy of note that S.E. didn’t join the new Board.

I wonder if he asked to join? Or was asked.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Yes, I agree Mark you’re right , so people can pretend they care about unity in order justify past actions that they encouraged and to justify people being rewarded for extreme reckless and disgusting behaviour that led to death threats ,doxxing and journalists being physically attacked I’ll take back what I said above

I’ve thought about this a lot, and I’m with 64 on it. There’s a bit of a psychological mess to clear up. The wider calls for peace and unity going forward I agree with – supporters need to stand together as best they can. But this ‘new unity’ absolutely should not mean a free pass or a shield to hide behind for people like the phone-thrower or those berating and browbeating on Hilton’s behalf. There was some serious stuff going on as a consequence of that.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I agree that for the majority of fans who were duped forgiveness and moving on is possible, given their connection to Hilton was minimal. I don’t think bans from the terraces are necessary. However, for others who associated themselves with Hilton, I would like to see some contrition. It’s not about being right, but making sure we learn from our mistakes and ensure we’re not here again for a 3rd time (presuming the takeover happens or with a phoenix club). It’s about rebuilding trust for those who made very bad errors of judgement.

I have no gripes with Elliott as a fan, but he did make errors in haranguing fans suspicious of Hilton, saying they should unite behind a man they had suspicions about, calling fans twerps and spreading rubbish about Hilton being attacked outside the Iron Bar. All the while, burners were abusing at this point and built upon his words. Elliott also appeared with Hilton at that fan’s forum, as a means by Hilton to shore his position, I believe. I have been told that Elliott regrets falling for it all, but it would be nice if we saw an apology for his error of judgement so we can at least hope he has learned from it all. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

As for Herbert, he shows no sign of contrition, the club should have distanced from his antics as unofficial spokesman and I have no faith he’d change his ways. As much as it’s important we don’t get too bogged down with “I told you so’s” from Hilton sceptics, learning and modifications of behaviour cannot be all one way. Those who fully bought in, especially among those who tied themselves to Hilton, should also demonstrate a willingness to learn from this so trust can be earned. Action, by taking steps to demonstrate this (like making an apology), speaks louder than assurances.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

I agree that for the majority of fans who were duped forgiveness and moving on is possible, given their connection to Hilton was minimal. I don’t think bans from the terraces are necessary. However, for others who associated themselves with Hilton, I would like to see some contrition. It’s not about being right, but making sure we learn from our mistakes and ensure we’re not here again for a 3rd time (presuming the takeover happens or with a phoenix club). It’s about rebuilding trust for those who made very bad errors of judgement.

I have no gripes with Elliott as a fan, but he did make errors in haranguing fans suspicious of Hilton, saying they should unite behind a man they had suspicions about, calling fans twerps and spreading rubbish about Hilton being attacked outside the Iron Bar. All the while, burners were abusing at this point and built upon his words. Elliott also appeared with Hilton at that fan’s forum, as a means by Hilton to shore his position, I believe. I have been told that Elliott regrets falling for it all, but it would be nice if we saw an apology for his error of judgement so we can at least hope he has learned from it all. I don’t think that’s too much to ask.

As for Herbert, he shows no sign of contrition, the club should have distanced from his antics as unofficial spokesman and I have no faith he’d change his ways. As much as it’s important we don’t get too bogged down with “I told you so’s” from Hilton sceptics, learning and modifications of behaviour cannot be all one way. Those who fully bought in, especially among those who tied themselves to Hilton, should also demonstrate a willingness to learn from this so trust can be earned. Action, by taking steps to demonstrate this (like making an apology), speaks louder than assurances.

You talk a lot of sense, here, and I found myself nodding along with parts of your post.

Elliott appearing alongside Hilton at the forum may be something that, as you say, shored Hilton’s position in some ways. It also perfectly illustrates a point I made too – about Elliott inserting himself in things to appear to be a figurehead. Cosying up to power to give the impression of being powerful. I’m sure he “regrets falling for it”, much the same as I imagine Sharp “regrets falling for it”…

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

As for Herbert, he shows no sign of contrition, the club should have distanced from his antics as unofficial spokesman and I have no faith he’d change his ways.

Totally agree with this. There has been aggressively provocative behaviour (spreading lies, doxxing, throwing insults, general shit-stirring and piss-taking, and throwing a journalist’s phone onto a football pitch). It has even inspired death threats. All of it hugely and directly contributed to the nasty atmosphere around the Hilton reign. There really does have to be accountability, imho. Lifetime ban.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Careful chaps!

You’re at risk of acting like those you are criticising.

I guess it’s what social media is all about?

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Really?

Fozzybear2009fozzybear2009
    Participant
    Registered On: January 29, 2015
    Topics: 1

Here’s me thinking we all wanted unity and to move forward with no division

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

For unity and division there needs to be movement from both sides. As much as I don’t think it’s unreasonable for Hilton sceptics to hold off on “I told you so”, I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect some contrition from those who bound themselves to Hilton, for the sake of trust going forwards. By which I mean, those like Elliott, not most fans. Rebuilding for unity goes both ways and it isn’t just about Hilton sceptics refraining from going on about how they were right.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Careful chaps!

I guess it’s what social media is all about?

A fair note of caution there, NI.
    To be fair .. I managed to avoid most of the heated stuff. My only real Social media is on here and I live away from the town. I don’t see Simon as much more than a passionate fan who has wanted to believe the best ..probably knows he’s been duped and may have made some errors of judgment. We need passionate fans.
    Some of the other cited behaviour sounds criminal to me. However, being a teenager or just being immature shouldn’t mean ‘banning for life.’ That’s where we start to get into the territory NI warns against.
    My aim has been not to get drawn into the partisan exchanges … a bit like knowing when to withdraw from a row. Things get said ..even done ..in the heat of the moment which only deepen the problems. Perhaps the most irritated I got was the relentless ‘exposures’ of Interested Bystander. I know that he was seen as a valuable contributor. I recognise that he has been largely vindicated. What irked me was the sense of a personal grievance that was never explained and would not know when to stop. If we carry that same intensity forward in the fan base then the ‘legacy’ we give to Peter Swann and David Hilton will be months ..even years .. of toxic exchanges and a disunited fan base.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Here’s me thinking we all wanted unity and to move forward with no division

As I said earlier I’m with 64 on this. Unity is of course the ideal and I’d hope that the supporters can more or less get there. But you cannot just ‘move on’ – that effectively hands people who shouldn’t have one a ‘get out’ from accountability. Things have gone on from a couple of people which were serious and actually affected the atmosphere and the situation, and they need looking at and dealing with rather than brushing under the carpet.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Jason Herbert isn’t a teenager, even if he acts like one. He’s a middle aged man and old enough to know better. A ban for life is strict, but there needs to be some consequences from his actions. I think prevention of him getting intertwined with the owner and board level is fair given his antics. There will be no unity if he carries on with it, and not because of those irritated by it.

I get the desire to unite. I have been happy to see such, people making apologies and people coming together. For the most part, I think that exists now. However, there has been a laser focus on sceptics behaving properly after months of endless accusations of wanting the club dead because of suspicions against Hilton, abuse, mockery and so forth. Even on here we had Pat O’Cake engaging in such behaviour. For the most part we will have to let go of such instances, but if they continue it will be division and it won’t be the fault of those calling it out. For people like Elliott, I would like to see an apology and actions which allow any rebuilding of trust if he wants to get involved, otherwise there will be justified disappointment and irritation. I don’t think it’s unfair to hope for that, nor behaving like the other side to want some of those most tied in to display behaviour which can build trust and unity.To reiterate, I am not referring to anyone on this forum here.

If we’re expecting unity to just be Hilton sceptics to modify behaviour and no-one else, including those who behaved badly (I am aware it’s not NI, JI etc who behaved badly), things might become fraught again.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

…there needs to be some consequences from his actions.

Exactly this.

The advocateMark B
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 0

All respectable forums need a target/ focal point and with Hilton possibly moving on there’s currently limited contenders.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

All respectable forums need a target/ focal point and with Hilton possibly moving on there’s currently limited contenders.

I don’t think it’s anything to do with ‘need’. That suggests that forum members go hunting for someone to be negative about – and that’s not what I’m seeing here (and it’s certainly not what I’m doing myself). The whole Scunthorpe United situation has been a shitshow in 2023 – and it has featured multiple direct or associated participants. Amongst opinions on any other aspect of that shitshow, it is wholly reasonable for members of this forum to comment on anyone involved, and it’s entirely reasonable to have an opinion either way on anyone involved.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.