The Spartans of Blyth

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace The Spartans of Blyth

• Author
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Hey-ho! Most likely be snow bound for the rearrangement!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

The worst season I can remember for weather, Curzon and Buxton biblical storms. Blyth 2 flooded pitches, Chester for flooding everywhere stoping fans even getting there, and we’ve not even got to the frost and snowy season. Cant even blame it on being a NLN ground problem, even rained all day at Tamworth in August. Not forgetting the foggy boston game.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Rearranged for Tuesday 6th of February.

Third time lucky?

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

Rearranged for Tuesday 6th of February.

Third time lucky?

Forecast has the north of the country snowbound then.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Way to early to know the weather in Feb and if the rearranged rearrangement will go ahead … the league table will look a whole lot different by then too, just hoping Scunny are still top of the pile n clear.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

King Leonidas might have said:

“This is where we play them, this is where we fight, this is where they lose!”

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

They were hammered today (5-2).
    Let’s hope they emulate today’s performance and result on Tuesday.
    UTI

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

GK Fitz

RWB Ogle
    CH Boyce
    CH Evans
    LWB Kelly

HM Kouogun
    RM Ferris
    CM Pugh
    LM Wilson

CF Whitehall
    CF Elliot

Subs
    Shrimpton
    Clunan
    Beestin
    Butterfield
    Poulter

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

A great many of our problems stem from the fact that the excellent Clunan has not managed to produce that same excellence which we had become accustomed to in the earlier part of the season.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Re Blyth Tuesday… Play anything like the first half against RO and it will be literally a pointless trip.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

The Spartans were also founded in 1899.
    They have an 1899 Club:

1899 Club | The James Howells Interview

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

A great many of our problems stem from the fact that the excellent Clunan has not managed to produce that same excellence which we had become accustomed to in the earlier part of the season.

Agree with that Les but I think what I happening with Clunan is part of a wider problem. Before and just after Clunan’s injury he set the tone for the midfield and back four to play crisp 1 and 2 touch football that moved teams around until a midfielder (usually Butterfield) or the wide forwards were in a position to run at the defence in the final third. Numerous times yesterday we ignored the simple switch to a man in space or delayed until the space was closed down and Rushall got back in their defensive shape.

Evans, Scales and Butterfield particularly guilty of needless ball carrying but Clunan, Kouogan, Denton and Ogle all did this at times. This has been happening more and more from the Farsley games onwards.

When we then lose the ball with a poor pass said ball carrier has then left a hole for opposition to exploit. Better teams than Rushall exploit this.

No team in this League can deal with short, accurate and crisp passing and this is what enabled us to blow teams away earlier in the season.

Have we stopped doing it for tactical reasons – if so then its a bad move Jimmy. It could be that the players have lost confidence. Maybe they bought into the HMS Piss the League nonsense.

You win Leagues by having your style and imposing it on most of your opposition game after game. See Man City, Liverpool, Wrexham and possibly Tamworth for recent examples of what I mean.

billpuntonsghostbillpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 72

When you start off with the words excellent Clunan ,Les,we start to differ in our views. Right from the start I have never seen anything in Clunan to give him an excellent category slot. Great schoolboy spirit and effort ,but when it comes to strength and leadership he is sadly lacking. Take “lower league” generals we’ve had in the past ( Bishop and Dawson for example),Clunan is not in the same realm.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Clunan doesn’t need to be in the same realm as Bishop or Dawson, they were excellent league one players who would not have been down in this current standard of football we are in. Clunan was excellent earlier in the season but like a few others appears to have lost his way, why is the puzzle but as we aren’t privvy to what occurs in the club on a daily basis all we can do is speculate. The whole current form situation is very frustrating for all concerned.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Spartans 1-1 Iron… 11/2
    0-1… 6/1
    0-2… 7/1
    1-2… 7/1
    0-0… 10/1

Are the shortest priced correct score-casts.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Fingers crossed we don’t get Richard Aspinall tomorrow evening.

His stats in just NL/N games this season are:

Appearances – 8
    Yellow cards – 42
    Red cards – 2
    Penalties – 3

York v Rochdale he issued 9 yellows, 1 red and awarded 2 penalties.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Or are refs like that the way to stop thuggery and skulduggery and encourage better football? If more penalties were given for blatant shirt pulling in the box then players would stop doing it. Also not a fan of ‘fouls’ that are not fouls in the box but are anywhere else on the pitch.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Well put, MKI.
    A month or so ago we were enjoying all these incredible passages of great passing.
    We cannot hope to win the NLN with the second rate stuff going on at the moment – and worse, we aren’t going to win playoffs either!
    How can a side built around terrific passing deteriorate to this degree?
    Can Jimmy get this back? – If not – whyever not? For the most part it’s the same players. I just don’t get it! It’s nothing to do with other teams having learned ‘how we play’. You either pass briskly and accurately or you don’t.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

I do believe MK is only attributing his thoughts to home games

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

HMS Piss the League nonsense

Please don’t hate me fellow posters, according to MK iron my tongue in cheek threads may have been a big contribution to our lack of form.

On a more serious note regarding Clunan, this is his first season in full time football and maybe he’s ran out of steam a little because before he was superb but before this season he’s always been in part time football.

wotnowbrncowwotnowbrncow
    Participant
    Registered On: February 1, 2019
    Topics: 1

That makes no sense.
    In previous seasons he’s had to play the same amount of games, at the same level, but in a side of less quality whilst holding down a second job. This season he can concentrate full time on training, preparation, rest and recovery but he’s ran out of steam?

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

I know you were being ironic with your HMS PTL comments. I was actually referring to the Twitter posts kicking around early season that actually seemed to believe it.

Even the likes of Celtic, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid find pissing the league difficult these days.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Thompson, on loan from Gateshead, scored on debut:

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Form last ten games:

P10 W4 D2 L4 GF16 GA18 Pts 14

3 months ago, I’d have gone for a 0-2 win.

However, they’ll score a goal, so, can we score two?
    How we are playing, I’m not sure.

I’ll have to go 1-1.

Head: 1-1
    Heart: 1-2
    Gut: 1-0

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

That makes no sense.
    In previous seasons he’s had to play the same amount of games, at the same level, but in a side of less quality whilst holding down a second job. This season he can concentrate full time on training, preparation, rest and recovery but he’s ran out of steam?

I’m merely speculating. Only things I can think of is the fact he’s training more and the fact he’s getting less sleep due to his baby daughter.

Other than that it’s a simple drop in form.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Agree … Clunan has been terrible since injury and the new baby arrived… but its not only him several others have dipped in ability n form.

Did i hear JD say Butterfield is doubtful due to illness ??

Blyth Prediction score draw .. 1-1 or 2-2

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

That’s a better interview from Jimbob. He looks & sounds calmer and collected.

I wouldn’t be happy with young James though if I was him – he should have told him that the game was being shown back at HQ before the interview.

It’s not the James Moody show!

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2024/february/-player-jimmy-dean-looks-ahead-to-blyth-spartans-trip/

wotnowbrncowwotnowbrncow
    Participant
    Registered On: February 1, 2019
    Topics: 1

That makes no sense.

I’m merely speculating. Only things I can think of is the fact he’s training more and the fact he’s getting less sleep due to his baby daughter.

Other than that it’s a simple drop in form.

Yeah it could just be form, perhaps the start of the season was a peak in form and now we’re just seeing the normal level? I hope not.

A new baby is more likely to have an impact I would say, it can be exhausting mentally and physically so would understandably take a toll.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

Well after Saturdays correct 2-0 forcast, and only being 52 out with the attencance figure I will stick with the same score for tonights game at Blyth, who have hit a bit of a poor patch having lost the last three matches of theirs. I must admit that I do not have a clue regarding the gate.

BLYTH SPARTANS 0 SCUNTHORPE 2.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Did i hear JD say Butterfield is doubtful due to illness ??

Correct. Butterfield needs a rest any way. Pugh will probably be more suited away from home so not too bothered and it gives Butterfield’s legs a rest.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.