The price of football.

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace The price of football.

• Author
    Bartoniron66Bartoniron66
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 56

I paid in cash for 3 season tickets and only two were processed! so now having to pay full price for the other ticket every home game.
    Wonder if this happened to anyone els?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    CMC CMC
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

It didn’t stop some backing him to the hilt, with added insults and threats, some on this board..

… and someone on the actual Board.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

That is to say, someone on the current Board of Directors backed Hilton and insulted fans who dared to question him – and has failed to address that mistake or apologise since the takeover.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

It’s a pity the other 95% couldn’t be arsed to do their homework on his background – if they had, then like us, they’d have known he was a ‘wrong un’ much earlier and we’d have cleared him off a lot sooner.

We now need Guinevere and her Knights of the Round Table to get us running on an even keel with creditors paid off, wages paid on time, any outstanding wages to former players/employees settled, pensions and NI payments updated and paid on time, redundancy payments made, CCJs fulfilled, HMRC paid etc.
    Only then will normality have been restored.
    I’d rather support a debt free and honourable but poor performing team in the NLN than a morally & financially bankrupt team in L1 or L2 bending & breaking the rules and the law.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

It is a shame, Rene, but many wanted to believe. I have no issue in those who were conned coming together through a unity that is needed now, especially if they weren’t the ones who resorted to dog’s abuse against those who were sceptical. There were no prizes for being right, though I do hope the most ardent backers can reflect on it all. Still, the main blame will be on dodgy Dave, the most shameful man to grace this club. Yes, I do include Swann in that, not because Swann was decent or likable, but because I have a bit more time for inept businessmen than malicious and dishonest spivs.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

It’s a pity the other 95% couldn’t be arsed to do their homework on his background – if they had, then like us, they’d have known he was a ‘wrong un’ much earlier and we’d have cleared him off a lot sooner.

We now need Guinevere and her Knights of the Round Table to get us running on an even keel with creditors paid off, wages paid on time, any outstanding wages to former players/employees settled, pensions and NI payments updated and paid on time, redundancy payments made, CCJs fulfilled, HMRC paid etc.
    I’d rather support a debt free and honourable but poor performing team in the NLN than a morally & financially bankrupt team in L1 or L2 bending & breaking the rules and the law.

Based on those exact terms, ‘normality’ is a several years project if it is even achievable at all. Good luck to all concerned – running a club is hard enough financially without having to wipe Hilton’s arse into the bargain.

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Nice easy task then Rene!

With 3,500 fans through the gates regular you’d think we could be a competing club, but we don’t know the mountain of debt, how big it is, and the expensive squad Jimmy built needs to be paid for.

We’ve got a choice it seems, carry on the “promotion or bust” path or start trimming the squad. but also we don’t act like what we are: a non-league club. the ex league clubs have adapted, we haven’t, where fans contribute to their club in various ways instead of it being the other way round.

Unfortunately with Some in the club i don’t see that changing anytime soon.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Not disagreeing with you, just wondering what you mean by that?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

By comments on here anyone would think it was Hilton run the debt up and not Swanny, he was only here 7 months he paid the wages (albeit late sometimes) we. Probably ended on a neutral on the Hmrc bill, so he can’t have built up that much debt in the scheme of things.
    And remember St Simon and bulked and walked away when they saw the books.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

They were both bad, but one was intentional and Hilton did continue to run up the debts. Funny how those CCJs, which were all to do with Swann apparently (despite being dated to Hilton’s tenure), suddenly stopped at the exact moment Harness took over.

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

Neutral HMRC bill? If only. He may have paid most of the wages, but that’s about it.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Don’t know if you delve into social media Apollo but some of the parasites are on there thanking the 3 SUFC officials often enough.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Don’t know if you delve into social media Apollo but some of the parasites are on there thanking the 3 SUFC officials often enough.

Parasites?

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Glad SST cleared that up about HMRC. There will never be a siitable time to spin a ‘Hilton wasn’t so bad’ line, IMO.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Must have been obvious to most that when the club still owed HMRC after Hilton left that he only cleared enough off the original amount owed to enable transfers to resume. HMRC work with businesses in financial trouble to allow them to clear a big tax debt as reasonably as they can but clearly Hilton never cleared the whole debt and he won’t be the first club owner that has done the same. It was his dishonesty about a myriad of issues that did for him, the full unpaid tax bill was just one of them.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

The timescale for clearing the debt with the HMRC is 3/6 months and not forgetting Swanny already had a time to pay agreement in place with the HRMC for £192,000 at the time Hilton took over so your saying the HMRC then gave Hilton a further time to pay agreement and was able to rack up another say £250,000 over the next 7 months. Really!

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

You’re a strange one awg. Having a go at Sharp for wanting a loan back when he had no idea he would be able to be involved with the club, but trusting that a con man was actually working well for the club.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

The timescale for clearing the debt with the HMRC is 3/6 months and not forgetting Swanny already had a time to pay agreement in place with the HRMC for £192,000 at the time Hilton took over so your saying the HMRC then gave Hilton a further time to pay agreement and was able to rack up another say £250,000 over the next 7 months. Really

In the early days of his tenure Hilton said he had completely cleared the HMRC debt – but a couple of months later he said it had actually been an agreement to pay in instalments. He must have paid the first to release any legal action imminent at that time – but it’s possible he then didn’t pay any of the other instalments, and continued to accrue a second HMRC debt for non-payment due for ongoing operations.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

You’re a strange one awg. Having a go at Sharp for wanting a loan back when he had no idea he would be able to be involved with the club, but trusting that a con man was actually working well for the club.

In their own ways Swann and Hilton used Sharp’s money, Elliott used the kudos.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Apollo 11 answered Awaywegos strange unravelling of the tax system but just to clarify, HMRC will go out of their way with almost every business to pay off tax owed over varying time scales and amounts, they have been doing it for decades. You see Awaywego once you bankrupt a business you can’t keep going back year after year after decade and take tax off a business that no longer exists. It’s in HMRC’s interest to keep companies in business, it’s how they make their money, keep up lad.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

‘In the early days of his tenure Hilton said he had completely cleared the HMRC debt’

Did he actually say that? I may have missed it. Not nitpicking just wondering because I definitely remember a boasting tweet along the lines of ‘HMRC paid!’ which got some supporters purring and exalting him to saviour status. He may well have posted somewhere or said that he’d paid them off in full and I missed it, or have forgot

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

The BBc reported it on the 30th of Jan and in Hiltons statement on the 19th of September Deerey.
    So if he only made one payment that leaves Michelle with a tax bill of circa £400,000 does she have a time to pay agreement in place or has she paid it off in full? sure SST will tell us.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

What price a clear conscience, to do the morally correct thing, to adhere to the law, to be a shinning example to the pilgrims attending the temple of light known as Glanford Park.
    Lest we forget!

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

The BBc reported it on the 30th of Jan and in Hiltons statement on the 19th of September

I think it was during one of the audio interviews which was posted by the club and then withdrawn, he was also adamant it had been paid.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Club statement 19th September still there to see.

ItonironironItonironiron
    Blocked
    Registered On: November 29, 2023
    Topics: 0

I have an email from Hilton with evidence of his losses and that he did pay the tax in January. A quite informative piece on the clubs finances. It won’t allow me to paste it here for some reason but il happily forward the email if somebody provides one.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

I have an email from Hilton with evidence of his losses and that he did pay the tax in January. A quite informative piece on the clubs finances. It won’t allow me to paste it here for some reason but il happily forward the email if somebody provides one.

Copy and paste it?

ItonironironItonironiron
    Blocked

I tried it will not allow me. Plus the items he attached I also cannot add on here for some reason.

ItonironironItonironiron
    Blocked

I’m not sure how it’s possible that a few supporters actually believe I made money on Scunthorpe United. I lost an absolute fortune and it’s all there in front of them.

The amount I paid to Hmrc in January was £191,000 winding up petition and £47,000 month 9 paye all in full, I’ve sent you the evidence.

I inherited a gross wage bill of £180,000 per month and yes I was left with £40,000 in the club when I took over but Januarys wage bill was to be paid 2 days later which took it all and required the rest from
    Me. I was nearly £400,000 out of pocket within days of the takeover. I then funded 8 further players on top of the existing gross 180k payroll to try and stop the club being relegated.

If you just add up the wage bill until June the 30th which is when player contracts expired it’s 7 months of which I paid in full. £1,260,000 million plus the 8 new players including a fee for Danny Elliot.
    If they hadn’t been paid like when I stopped in September you would have all heard about it instantly.

ItonironironItonironiron
    Blocked

The tax bill was paid on time and in full until July upon which time I knew I was on borrowed time at the club and i let it fall into arrears. The only wage bill I missed was September because I knew I could never get it back and needed the consortium to step up.
    No CCJs appeared prior to August because again I paid everything that was bought to my attention as urgent, right up until July when I knew I was heading for the exit. Apart from a few players I didn’t add any further debt to the club and didn’t agree any new contracts apart from Kelme.

So over £1.7m spent in January and the wages up until June 30th with the new 8 players included.
    I spent £180,000 fighting Swann to stay in the stadium and securing land in the town which was ludicrous on both counts. I paid many many debts and running costs and the expenditure went well above £2.5m in only 7 months.
    This is all easily evidenced.

Now let’s look at income.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.