Home Forums Non Football The People We Pay To Make Decisions For Us Part 3

Heath
    Participant
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 1928

Just 273 of the 18.1m people who arrived in UK in the 3 months run-up to lockdown were quarantined.

Well done Ms Priti Vacant, Herder Cummings and having a break Boris!!

At least 32,000 deaths, the highest in Europe – is anybody still claiming that they are doing a good job?

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3006

You are completely correct Heath, it is so bloody stupid, anyone comes into the UK during this crisis period, no health checks what so ever, mind that is normal during our times before this killer virus.

I saw on the News tonight were thousands of Indian students were lined up waiting their turn for free food, when interviewed one guy said that many of them wanted to go home to India, but their country has not let in anyone since mid march, and they were stuck here, it’s not their fault, but just think, the Indian government will not allow their own people into their own country.

Mind if we did have health rules at our airports, the do gooders would be up in arms about it.

But sad as it is, there are many countries that do not publish the correct figures, Germany is one of them that uses a different method which lowers the figures, and China are compulsive liars.

Heath
    Participant

Well thanks BS, though my post was in connection with poor health control rather than any comment on the supposed arrival of Iranian students.

At 1% of 18 million suggests 180,000 infected people arriving with no health checks or quarantine and as you say out of step with nearly all other countries. With 1 to 1 transfer that’s another 180,000 possible infections.

Unbelievable negligence!!!

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 249
    Replies: 10997

Our friends were on a long awaited road trip in Europe in March.

Their intention had been to drive to Rome but the border was closed and they had to change plans. So they drove down to Figueres in N Spain then returned through France and back across the channel, arriving the day after lockdown.

Were they stopped as they disembarked? No! Just waved off and back they drove to the NE stopping off in the Midlands to visit their grandkids.

As Heath says, nothing to do with whether they are U.K. residents, foreign students or whoever. Just another example of why we have the worst record on this in Europe.

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 631

Of course there doing a good job, due to the actions taken every patient was given a chance to live unlike Spain and Italy were doctors had to choose who lived or die,it wasn’t Iranian students arrival it was Indian students wanting to go home and there country has abandoned them for us to look after, they were queuing for food hundreds of them and shock horror they weren’t 2meters apart surprisingly. Our country repatriated most of ours.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Heath
    Participant

As usual Awaywego you show your complete lack of understanding.

And for anyone who still supports the Government’s claim that the virus situation was unprecedented and unpredictable I suggest that you watch the film Contagion, released in 2011.

Come on Awaywego, I guess you’ve got a bit of time to spare, watch the film today!!

Heath
    Participant

“unlike Spain and Italy were doctors had to choose who lived or die” – where and died!!

If you believe this hasn’t happened here you can go straight to the top of the Muppet tree!!

Many relatives of ex care home residents are unlikely to support your view.

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 1806

I watched the news report on the Indian students. It must be biased and inaccurate though, be as it was on the BBC.

It’s our time.

Heath
    Participant

And now we have Mrs May criticising world leaders for their lack of international co-operation.

I would suggest her appointments of Boris Johnson as Foreign Secretary, David Davies as Brexit Minister and Ms Patel in charge of Foreign aid was a policy of deliberate lack of international co-operation!!

Awaywego
    Participant

Watched it’s couple weeks ago cheers, suppose iam just like you then, you didn’t understand what BS was saying. other countries let our people in, indeed a lot of them went on holiday so are you saying we should have not let them back in.

Heath
    Participant

I did understand thanks.

Northumbiron
    Participant

we should have not let them back in.

The point is that citizens returning to the U.K. were not quarantined or tested but just went back into the community.

The same couple I mentioned earlier said last night (via FaceTime) that they can’t wait until next week when they can go down to see their family.

I told them I seriously doubted that restrictions would be lifted which didn’t go down too well!

Once travel to relatives is allowed what will happen? I can’t imagine motorway services reopening, so will there be a distance limit?

Lots to consider so let’s hope the powers that be get it right.

Not holding my breath though!

Awaywego
    Participant

i think there were to many to quarantine NI, But they should have had more sense to go on holiday in the first place if they were going to moan once away. your couple you mention could always fly air lingus lol, how dare that man moan on that flight, he traveled so why not everyone else, he could have also got off but he still traveled.

vader
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 140

Pritti Patel is unfit to hold office and should not be in government.
    We are an island and it should relatively easy to lock it down, everyone who came on the island after the issue was identified should have been quarantined for fourteen days (as those in January off the cruise ships) or quarantined until tested clear.

Yes the government are not doing a great job but I believe their figures are more accurate than others in Europe, and at the time the choice we had was this lot or Corbyn, Abbot and McDonald. What a disaster they would have been, Corbyn would still be sat on the fence and the numbers would definitely be wrong as Abbott can’t add up.

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 1829

Watching the highlights of PMQs today has made me thankful that Starmer is making the decisions as opposition leader. Thoughful, inquisitive and necessary questions asked by him today, a willingness to cooperate when required, and from a Labour perspective it’s positive that he is showing up Johnson in that setting. Just what we want and need from the opposition right now.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4184

Good points raised about Starmer BRI who has started very well as Labour leader, however Johnson must be one of the easiest PM’s ever to show up, complete melon.

vader
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 140

Just watched PMQs and I think Starmer did BoJo over today, certainly well prepared and all Boris did was bluster with Hancock sat cowering in the corner, I bet he got a roasting off Boris for his shameful performance.
    Yes I think Starmer will give Boris a challenge, shame he wasn’t there at the election, Labour only have themselves to blame putting Corbyn up to bat for them.

Iron-awe
    Participant

Yes Hancock did appear to be cowering, tucked up into the bench seat looking like a rabbit in the headlights. When this is over and maybe before it is, he will be gone surely, such an incompetent lying t***.

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 1829

Good points raised about Starmer BRI who has started very well as Labour leader, however Johnson must be one of the easiest PM’s ever to show up, complete melon.

Good point, and it’s without the usual braying, but it’s still better than what the previous incumbent managed.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3006

I did understand thanks.

If you understand Heath, where the hell do you arrive at me saying anything about Iranian people ???

Heath
    Participant

Italians, Indians, Iranians, Irkutsians, Iraquians, Irlamians, Irlamians, they’re all the same!!

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 276
    Replies: 5062

Thank Goodness Starmer’s leading Labour now and what a breath of fresh air after Corbyn. He is exactly what we need in an opposition leader.

As for all the other comments, what was that about not politicising the ‘crisis’? By all means criticise the government but what did anyone ever expect? It would have been no different under any other government regardless of political colour. Politicians are pretty useless at everything and our civil service isn’t any better. More bothered about political correctness and protecting their pensions than actually making decisions or getting things done.

Also, you need to be very careful about the data coming out of different countries. I wouldn’t believe the vast majority of it, not necessarily because governments are deliberately lying — though some most definitely are — but because every country has very different ways of defining who is infected and what people are actually dying of.

Finally, can anyone remember Hong Kong flu? I believe 80,000 people died of it in the UK alone in 1968 yet most people today don’t even know it happened. That puts the current crisis into perspective. The really sad thing is this crisis will most likely kill more people who never even get coronavirus than those who die of it, while ruining the lives of millions of others.

Now we have people worrying about being at work when they’re more likely to die getting to and from it than from the coronavirus.

Northumbiron
    Participant

I remember Hong Kong Phooey, but I think that was the 70s!

Heath
    Participant

Just a mild cold you said. Best to let everybody catch it you said. Major events ARE political!!!!

Iron-awe
    Participant

I remember Hong Kong Phooey, but I think that was the 70s!

The marketing guys had a field day over kung fu related products back in its heyday. I remember a product called Kong Fu Brutal Bubble Gum, which had a gorilla on the front of the packet giving a guy the chop and not a pork chop either. Strange the things you remember, ah well back to the funny farm.

Gurnelista
    Participant
    Topics: 51
    Replies: 1107

Thank Goodness Starmer’s leading Labour now and what a breath of fresh air after Corbyn. He is exactly what we need in an opposition leader.

As for all the other comments, what was that about not politicising the ‘crisis’? By all means criticise the government but what did anyone ever expect? It would have been no different under any other government regardless of political colour. Politicians are pretty useless at everything and our civil service isn’t any better. More bothered about political correctness and protecting their pensions than actually making decisions or getting things done.

Also, you need to be very careful about the data coming out of different countries. I wouldn’t believe the vast majority of it, not necessarily because governments are deliberately lying — though some most definitely are — but because every country has very different ways of defining who is infected and what people are actually dying of.

Finally, can anyone remember Hong Kong flu? I believe 80,000 people died of it in the UK alone in 1968 yet most people today don’t even know it happened. That puts the current crisis into perspective. The really sad thing is this crisis will most likely kill more people who never even get coronavirus than those who die of it, while ruining the lives of millions of others.

Now we have people worrying about being at work when they’re more likely to die getting to and from it than from the coronavirus.

Really, a bunch of disparate points with no real argument or understanding of the issues at hand.

Buckiron said:
    “… not necessarily because governments are deliberately lying — though some most definitely are..”

Yes, the current one, for example. Johnson has been doing it all his life.

Buckiron said:
    “Politicians are pretty useless at everything and our civil service isn’t any better. More bothered about political correctness and protecting their pensions than actually making decisions or getting things done.”

I thought you liked the Tories, BI, have you thrown your blue scarf away? But I agree, the current lot really couldn’t be much worse.

As for political correctness, are you really saying that using respectful language which doesn’t exclude, marginalise or insult people is a bad thing? It sounds straight from the Trump playbook! The political right loves to criticise PC, but it’s a distraction, a scapegoat, a ‘phantom enemy’. There’s a good article about it here.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/nov/30/political-correctness-how-the-right-invented-phantom-enemy-donald-trump

As for pensions, everyone should get a good pension. Only a moron would think otherwise.

As for HK flu, it’s unclear what the 1968 outbreak had to do with the OP, although there’s now a much better understanding of prevention, transmission, and death from Covid. So, it’s hardly surprising the reaction is different now.

Buckiron said:
    “Now we have people worrying about being at work when they’re more likely to die getting to and from it than from the coronavirus.”

You miss the point. The real risk is that the worker could become infected, even unknowingly, and pass it on to others, such as the elderly or vulnerable non-worker.

On the other hand, if you mean the risk of a road traffic death is higher, it’s not. Currently, there are over 30k deaths and rising from Corona. In GB in 2019 there were only 1870 road traffic deaths. And how many of those were trips to work rather than, say, racing on the highway, police pursuits, or involved pedestrians etc. is open to question.

So in absolute terms, the the risk of death from Corona is actually higher than the risk of getting to and from work.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Greylag
    Participant
    Topics: 71
    Replies: 804

If only every country was as accurate and truthful in recording and revealing Coronavirus statistics as North Korea.Then there would be no problem.

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 122
    Replies: 3868

‘Politicians are pretty useless at everything and our civil service isn’t any better. More bothered about political correctness and protecting their pensions than actually making decisions or getting things done.’

Nothing like sweeping generalisations coupled with completely unsubstantiated claims. Cheap PR. Given what you’ve just written, we should expect not one more post from you about how well the Tories are doing. On anything.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.