The new players

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace The new players

• Author
    TintownerBob
    Participant
    Registered On: August 21, 2018
    Topics: 1

I am a little worried about the background of some of the new players that have come to the club.
    They appear to be a mixture of young and old who are/were not playing much at their previous clubs.

The two strikers previous records worry me.
    One of them has scored only 1 league goal in his career whilst the other, just 6.

Maybe I am over scrutinising the situation.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I think, initially, we have to trust the manager on this. It’s very common for players to flourish under certain managers and underperform with others.
    For example look at the difference in McAtee under Hurst and then Cox. Hill clearly thinks he can get more out of these players (players he knows) than others can. Hope he’s right!!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

I tend to agree with Bob – I love the optimism among the fans but I don’t share it myself. I think we’ll win tomorrow but ultimately it will prove a bit of a false dawn.

Nuttall = this season’s Brian Quailey?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

I’ll settle for

Nuttall=this season’s Ivan Toney.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Well we’d all settle for the IA but that’s setting the bar quite a bit higher!

So long as he’s not this season’s Neil Woods or Ian Ormondroyd!

emmjayPeter Promise
    Participant
    Registered On: June 15, 2017
    Topics: 7

I think that we are all trusting Keith Hill`s judgement/previous experience with the new signings in the hope that we have at long last got someone at the club whom we can trust.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

I think that we are all trusting Keith Hill`s judgement/previous experience with the new signings in the hope that we have at long last got someone at the club whom we can trust.

Out of interest, and not saying you’re wrong, what are you basing that trust on?

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Would like to think – Nuttall our new ‘Beckford’.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

A few Beckford style worldies are long overdue!

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

I don’t think anybody is realistically expecting these players to come and help us perform the great escape; deep down, we all know the writing is on the wall.

However, maybe the optimism is there because we are hoping we actually might be competitive in games, perhaps create more than 2 chances every home game, score a few more goals and provide something resembling entertainment.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

However, maybe the optimism is there because we are hoping we actually might be competitive in games, perhaps create more than 2 chances every home game, score a few more goals and provide something resembling entertainment.

I’ll raise a glass to that! Being crap is one thing; being crap AND boring is much, much worse.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 41

I share the sentiments of OP however lets just watch them perform for the next few games and see what they’re about. If Hill has picked some duds we’ll soon see it, but these set of players are our last hope of league survival.

I’ve pencilled in Bristol away to either celebrate or say goodbye to league status.

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 36

I am not sure that Keith has somehow pulled a magic rabbit out of his hat. It is too much to expect after the shit show we have had with Cox.

What I am expecting is that he has purchased players who are better, and stronger, than those that they have been brought in to replace.

Give us a fighting chance, and a miracle might happen.

UTBI

emmjayPeter Promise
    Participant
    Registered On: June 15, 2017
    Topics: 7

Ferrite,At the moment its no more than wishful thinking and the fact that it doesnt look like Swanns has been involved in the selection process.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

I don’t care what they have done at other clubs, all I care about is what they do here, and they certainly can’t be any worse than we have already got or recently had, league position as prime example, all I hope is even if we are relegated and certainly deserve it is that we have a more exciting last 18 games both performance wise and results wise and the missing fans who are coming back tomorrow want to return for the rest of the season, and if we go down next season we get a squad capable of coming straight back up rather than the Chairman alienating fans again by saying we are going to have the lowest budget in the National League.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

The one thing I like is that the ethos at the club has changed with Swann seemingly stepping back and letting an actual manager do the job he’s supposed to do. That should have been done years ago but at last it’s sunk in.

These are Hill players..not a chance Swann has had a hand in choosing these because they all make sense and they’re players in the positions we actually need.

Far too late in the day but I think the penny has well and truly dropped with Swannster.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

The nearest to a balanced squad that we’ve seen in a number of years.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Penny dropped or simply no choice?

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Penny dropped or simply no choice?

I’d imagine it’s a bit of both, either way at least a footballing man is making the decisions no…which is how it should have been from day one.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Damn right WG

alcazaralcazar
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 50

The one thing I like is that the ethos at the club has changed with Swann seemingly stepping back and letting an actual manager do the job he’s supposed to do. That should have been done years ago but at last it’s sunk in.

These are Hill players..not a chance Swann has had a hand in choosing these because they all make sense and they’re players in the positions we actually need.

Far too late in the day but I think the penny has well and truly dropped with Swannster.

Oh ye of too much faith…to misquote an old adage.

The pessimist’s take on this is that Swann has taken a temporary step back, but, when we are inevitably relegated, he will be able to point out that he tried, he gave the new manager his head, but it didn’t work out, nothing to do with him.

It’ll STILL be down to covid and stay away fans, you watch.

And next season, no matter what level we are playing at, it’ll be more of the same.
    Lowest budget, release any higher earners, pick up the leavings a day or so before the transfer window closes, already sinking.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

There’s pots half full, Alcy. There’s pots half empty. Pessimists and optimists and all that. Your pot has a busted bottom and whatever was in it flowed all over your slippers years ago. Not even a drop left. I’m just about to make the 160 mile round trip to watch a ‘home’ game… more in hope than conviction of anything positive at the end of it. What time do you need to set off?

2 users thanked author for this post.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.