The fishy

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace The fishy

• Author
    ironinsideriron insider
    Blocked
    Registered On: August 19, 2019
    Topics: 29

The Scunthorpe thread , particularly last few pages, makes interesting reading. would not last long on here but there are a number of revelations you can see for yourself . They are laughing their cocks off at us

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

They are laughing their cocks off at us

Surely you mean fins or possibly scales 🤔

RandomRandom
    Participant
    Registered On: June 9, 2017
    Topics: 6

All makes total sense to me, something not right with that 1899 club and the fact it adds up nicely to the 3.5 m required to buy the club. Clearly suggest Hilton is asking the fans to buy the club. If thats the case then it should be done via a trust so the fans run the club, not one man

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

Quick reminder. Please do not repeat any of that on here. I haven’t got all day to be watching this thread!

5 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Not repeating any of the rumours, but it’s past time in giving Hilton benefit of the doubt or endlessly thanking him for being a saviour. Some scepticism is needed.

There has been precious little communication from him since arriving, and this 1899 scheme was not clearly explained. We are right to have questions and concerns about who owns the ground and how Hilton plans on sustaining the club. I thought his time at Ilkeston showed promise, but that doesn’t mean anything if the current concerns aren’t addressed with evidence. Past glories don’t rectify current issues.

I do appreciate some were wanting to jump on the back of him straight away, but there’s a middle between the two extremes.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Personally I think many supporters are refusing to entertain any scepticism due to the trauma of the Swann era. Not a healthy place to be. It’s not like Hilton doesn’t have huge support. Look at the rise in attendances and the away following since he arrived. We can still support the club, the team AND ask questions of new schemes, issues with credit cards payments, substantial content about plans for the future, the stadium and land, etc. Unfortunately, any questioning seems to get shut down or drowned out by people with support for Hilton and Dean bordering on religious fervour. It should be possible to accept people’s questioning whilst ignoring the more unsubstantiated claims and allegations being bandied around.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 59

‘It’s Easier to Fool People Than to Convince Them That They Have Been Fooled’
    Mark Twain.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Some good posters on that thread which is nicely balanced by the clown who thinks we were unsustainable during our “glory years” due to funding the club through players sales and cup runs🤣

Deereyme66Deereyme66

139 pages?! Fansy would have a meltdown!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Surprised to see the Scunny thread on the fishy forum still going strong 166 pages as of today … i think deep down the cods really do care and such is the love its quite possible some will be inviting Iron fans over for candy floss,fish n chips at Steeles and a walk along Cleggy mud flats.

Strangely enough the fat lady singing GIF i pulled from fishy to post here has now made it back along with my tongue in cheek marine themed comment…

IMO the cods are only doing what Scunny fans would do (taking the piss) if they were on the decline as they were not to long ago, its a funny old game and hoping this local derby wont be off the fixture list for too long,,seems an age since the Cods FAVOURITE PLAYER KVV scored at Blund hell Park.

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

I dislike the Cods but not to the point of seeing them go bust, which is what a fair few of them wanted of us.

Playing Donny today, another club in decline, Cods could have taken more than the 3000 tickets they got(remember when we played them in the cup and loads locked out?),i think Donny would have hoped they could give more to hide the empty red seats in their ground every week, or balance their books.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Having read the fishy thread most Cods wanted us to go down as low as possible and still do with many hoping for another relegation next season but not seeing too many actually stating want Scunny to go bust n not exist at all…but obviously some do

No doubt the Cods when successful are well supported and do have an excellent away following…

Having worked all over the area in my younger days as an insurance claims assessor it gives them a nice day out in the real world away from ear bashing seagulls, burnt out cars,boarded windows and super glued letter boxes of the Nunsthorpe Estate

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

166 pages long eh, nice to be in their heads anyway.

RivermanRiverman
    Participant
    Registered On: January 22, 2023
    Topics: 0

Fishy forum member here, obviously as local rivals we have been watching your progress with amusement as I’m sure you did with ours a couple of seasons ago and enjoyed seeing your descent to the bottom of the league and your impending relegation to NLN, whilst many on our forum wanted to close the Scunthorpe United post which had around 240,000 views as a mark of respect for your demise others wanted to keep it open to follow the progress of the David Hilton show which is more entertaining than our standard of football at the moment,if you’re relegation wasn’t bad enough Dynamic Dave changes his mind every day on which direction he wants to take the club. Good luck guys and hope we meet some day in the Football League.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Yes doesn’t bode well changing his mind that often, doesn’t seem to be able to take the heat, stick, whatever you call it, dropped off social media as well, definitely can’t trust him have strong doubts whether he’ll go through ground purchase, maybe the ground will renamed The Swann Hilton.

RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022

Tbf to our fishy friends there is some good well thought out posts on there ,some asking the same questions as i have on here . Some of them are just taking the p*ss but on the whole dont want the club to go .

We have got good support but we were told by Mr Fenty numerous times ‘4k is our limit ‘ and now we have not got a ground big enough (even though its been quite poor fare at home this season ) for the crowds we are getting .

Swann said the same about you , but who is to say with the right ownership and a little bit of success you cant do the same ?

I thought the lads (Sharp & Elliott ) were the perfect fit much like Stockwood & Pettit for us -lifelong fans who you knew would always know had the supporters and clubs best interests at heart -a shame they did not get it done .

Hopefully Hilton is a good one and rumours etc are false , there is already blurred lines though but hopefully over the next few months things become much more clear for your future (in a good way )
    UTI

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

i log into fishy just to read comments , the fact the Scunny thread is circa 180 pages long indicates within codland there is interest and concern re your loving neighbors current plight .. a plethora of varying comments including the expected and deserved piss taking ..something that would be exactly the same if the situation was in reverse… whether its banter , piss taking or general hatred i just take it with a pinch of salt and with the state of things worldwide at the moment there are other bigger concerns than this.

Im very positive Hilton will come good and the Iron will be back over the course of the next few years ..alas not so confident it will be with JD.

In the last Ironarmy YT podcast (No 4) IMO one of the guys (i think it was the ginger fella, can i say that 555) hit the nail on the head at 53 mins into the vid saying we still have a club and how others like Bury n Maclesfield would love to have a spot in the NLN ..i see it like way and whilst it is pretty shitty at the moment im sure in time we can do the same as York and Stockport managed in the past.
    In the mean time some strange away days in store next season , local footy good pies n beers as Jack says oh and hopefully better days on the pitch.

Re Scunny in NLN recently, bearing in mind the team have been in the relegation zone for months on end in the last few seasons taking 1800 to Notts , 1000 to York and even 400 plus to Gateshead when more or less already down speaks volumes .. and it will make for some away fixtures feeling strangely like home ones as some attendances in the NLN are in the hundreds , hopefully a good atmos can help the players.

To all our seaweed chomping chums out there ..have your fun , enjoy it while it lasts but keep an eye on your rear view mirror for that Claret n Blue colour in the distance now but not for too long… we will be back !!

UTI

SimonthemarinerSimonthemariner
    Participant
    Registered On: April 17, 2022
    Topics: 1

There’s quite a few of us cods have good mates in Scunthorpe and join in their disappointment at another relegation. I don’t know any town fan who wants to see you go out of business, but another relegation yes. I think you’ll piss the NLN and come back stronger, the problem will be getting players motivated at places like Leamington, Buxton and Banbury on a cold dark winters night. UTM

Deereyme66Deereyme66

If they’re all full time, which we’re told they will be, I’d hope they’ll be motivated for every game!

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

At £15k a week the loans should be!

IronfanIronfan
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 2

If they’re all full time, which we’re told they will be, I’d hope they’ll be motivated for every game!

They weren’t motivated this season, why should next season be any different?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

True. We can but hope!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Well over 1800 replies and a quarter of a million views on the SCUNTHORPE thread ovver yonder.

Its nice to know deep down how much the cods care and that our fan base is spreading even into the un chartered saline waters of Grimthorpes, im wondering if the Mariners will even go for a claret n Blue away kit next season to show solidarity for their much loved neighbors.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Some of them will be constantly changing their underwear after each post I’m guessing, big clean up for them and us as a football club.

CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant
    Registered On: October 16, 2021
    Topics: 1

There are some posters on the fishy gloating at your demise, as there were by your fans when we were relegated but on the whole most town fans are sympathetic to the disgraceful way your club has been run. We’ve had our fair share of dark days and the general feeling is it could quite easily have been us.
    Personally I don’t want you to drop any further and certainly don’t want you to go out of business. I wouldn’t want to deprive anyone of the enjoyment of supporting their local team. I have far more respect for Scunthorpe fans than the glory hunters of premiership teams.
    I was pleased to see the takeover happen but must admit if a man with Mr. White-Anderson-Hilton’s chequered past was running my club I would be worried too.
    I hope everything improves for you guys and you’re soon climbing back up the leagues.
    I’d rather be playing you lot in a local derby than the likes of Salford and Stevenage.
    UTM. UTI

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Nice post CC and its just about how i would feel if the clubs fates were in reverse.

Indeed there are many differing posts on Fishy from the obvious gloating and piss taking to an increasing number offering compassion to Scunnys plight.

I read it as some posts are quite funny… example the Miss Scunthorpe quote made me chortle

Miss Scunthorpe ..no not a beauty pageant just F**king good advice

Also very true that a disasterous and rapid demise can happen to any club at any time for numerous reasons (mainly poor ownership) in recent times citing clubs dropping from the PL to L1 ala Sunderland whilst Scunny and Yeovil have matched the likes of Stockport in dropping considerably lower from the Championship… thankfully saved from doing a Bury or Macclesfield by new owner DH who hopefully will turn the clubs fortunes around.

I recall going through Grimsby on way to Cleggy with my parents when a bairn many moons ago , car windows up trying not to stop at traffic lights too long ..a mooch along the sea front playing dodge the dog shit, Steeles fish n chips and candy floss and my father always telling us ….

if your a good lads we wont come next week.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

good to see THE Scunthorpe thread again so popular over on the Fishy … see the cods do care about us.

RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022

I think part of it is partly due to the fact our regulars don’t have anything to moan about – 2 lifelong fans running the ship who are loaded who want the best for the club , I suspect if Fenty was still at the helm the thread would not have so many avid foĺlowers – the fishies love some drama from whatever direction.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 67

Why settle for a molehill when you can have a mountain?

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

i dropped on fishy to catch up on comments there, now 230 pages with some decent replies now that the piss taking has more less stopped.. a couple of recent posts struck a chord

re Mr Whites sentence on
    Where the club would be without his money

and quote a GT fan
    “Their club is brown bread and deep down they all know it. The first stage of grief is denial, most of them are not beyond that stage yet.”

Despite the high percentage of Scunny fans backing Hilton … this GT guy may have a point … no where confirmed to play home games , if not GP then plan B Gainsboro ground share ?? and is that really financially sustainable with less money coming in and DH patience wearing thin and what sounds like threats to walk away.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.