Telegraph boycott (if anyone still buys it).

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Telegraph boycott (if anyone still buys it).

• Author
    IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

As you are probably aware, we have tried to re-establish our relationship with the Scunthorpe Telegraph, offering access all areas, with myself, Keith and the players contributing to weekly updates. Unfortunately, the Telegraph editor has decided not to offer us the same terms as Grimsby Town obtained last season in the NL. Editor Jamie Macaskill told us: “Unfortunately we will not be committing at this stage to any formal partnership on access and matchday coverage for Scunthorpe United. This follows a review of the potential audience for matchdays and availability of staff and supporting resources to cover the games.” Interesting, eh?

JohnGaylesNuttingKitJohnGaylesNuttingKit
    Participant
    Registered On: May 26, 2017
    Topics: 10

Irrelevant ‘newspaper’ anyway – good riddance

hennyoldironOldiron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 19, 2017
    Topics: 3

No one buys it. No one goes on the silly advert riddled site. Better off without it.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Easier to cut and paste from elswhere the following day.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

It is obvious from the online version that I read, where their priorities lie. It is even more obvious in football matters. There are often 3 or 4 new articles per day about GT, we’ve had 4 articles in the last 3 weeks.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

In other words Max Bell is still banned.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    razorironrazoriron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 25, 2015
    Topics: 12

The rag has been shocking for a good number of years. I stopped buying it 4 or 5 years ago. A new low for me wasthe papers idea of listing the top 10 dogging sites in Scunny and I thought yeah dogshit paper. The days of quality local sports journalists like Bob Steels are a distant memory.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Telegraph! Late night final!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Bob Steels, Tom Taylor, late night final with that Grimsby jester cartoon face looking riled because they’d got a hiding? Oh yesh 😎

5 users thanked author for this post.
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I’d dearly love to join a boycott but living outside the town – it’s hard to see how I can buy fewer copies than my present zero.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Wow am I really reading this, I thought the problem was all Swanny when coming down to the telegraph ban, maybe he was right all along? And there I thought we were ready to welcome them back with open arms and a ticket tape parade. Fickle or what.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Wow am I really reading this, I thought the problem was all Swanny when coming down to the telegraph ban, maybe he was right all along? And there I thought we were ready to welcome them back with open arms and a ticket tape parade. Fickle or what.

Ticker tape parade. Get it right.

Square Ball BullimoreSquare Ball Bullimore
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 5

Always amusing to read badapples tweets about the telegraph.

Lots of typos and irrelevant stories so I don’t read anything they write, certainly doesn’t have the towns best interests at heart… No loss to the club but its good they tried to engage and then published the attempt to show fans.

harrismrh4marty303
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013

It’s time there was a loacl rag back in scunthorpe.
    Why would grimsby rag get behind scunthorpe

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Not enough sales in Scunny to justify two offices, if Scunny had a combined population of 135,000+ like Grimsby/ Cleethorpes then the paper would be based here. Just another sign of the times in modern day Britain.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Topics: 90

Nothing to boycott, it’s a load of shite and has been for quite a while when it got Peter Swann style budget cuts. All it writes up is second hand stories you can get a lot quicker from alternative sources anyway.

Ironawe, I suspect it has something to do with Max Bell and when Swannster told them where to go.

Turnbull went to them in good faith to smooth it over and they’ve completely snubbed us.

They can shove it. I don’t give a toss about them. If they want to be arseholes then let them.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

WG I was responding to the point raised by marty303 about the desire for a local rag back in town, no doubt the Max Bell affair is a good bet why the Telegraph has spat it’s dummy out over not sanctioning a new deal. It’s a sad situation because every local link the club can forge with the towns contributors is worth pursuing, unfortunately in this case the divide appears vast in one particular camp.

Participant

apart from 3 from Radio Humberside there was a lot of empty seats in the Press Box

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Topics: 90

. It’s a sad situation because every local link the club can forge with the towns contributors is worth pursuing

Couldn’t agree more but they’re clearly acting like pathetic arse hole. The reason they gave as to why they’re not interesting in providing coverage for our games is a cop out.

They offered Grimsby plenty of coverage last season, did they not ?

As I said above, if they want to be spiteful then that’s on them. If I was Turnbull after being snubbed going there in good faith, I’d tell them not to publish anything Scunthorpe United and tell them to shove it.

Couldn’t we create our own independent news website covering everything Scunthorpe United ?. Granted it would need fan funding to cover the costs but it’s definitely achievable.

chiefphotoDavid
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2018
    Topics: 0

When the Telegraph returned last season much of the match day coverage was done by reporters working on there days off.
    The Telegraph simply want a return on the investment of time and money.
    Grimsby Town have just gained promotion and sold record numbers of season tickets.
    It’s as simple as that.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I am not sure it’s spite, but costs, as David eludes to. Local papers have been dying on their arse for over a decade. :-(

Participant

I still think the banning of Charlie and Paul through no reason of there’s has helped their decision, and with Max banned as well you can understand it.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

They probably are reluctant because of that, but ultimately money talks. Local rags are cash strapped and if they felt they could see some returns they’d come back. As it is, they need to make cut backs and they don’t see the Iron as being worth the same budgeting as they did for Grimsby. Previous poor relations would have potentially nudged them into their decision that bit easier.

chiefphotoDavid
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2018

I think the Telegraph is well past that episode (the three staff members have all left or moved to other parts of the company), a new owner and some success on the pitch will generate interest.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Not that long ago when the cods and Blunderside fell out and the cods ended up on the awful compass fm. They managed to get back in again eventually so it’s either mega arse licking or just some simple common sense on both sides needed. Football and the media need each other, it really is as simple as that, just get on with it and put differences behind you.

PStoffPStoff
    Participant
    Registered On: December 30, 2013

. It’s a sad situation because every local link the club can forge with the towns contributors is worth pursuing

Couldn’t agree more but they’re clearly acting like pathetic arse hole. The reason they gave as to why they’re not interesting in providing coverage for our games is a cop out.

They offered Grimsby plenty of coverage last season, did they not ?

As I said above, if they want to be spiteful then that’s on them. If I was Turnbull after being snubbed going there in good faith, I’d tell them not to publish anything Scunthorpe United and tell them to shove it.

Couldn’t we create our own independent news website covering everything Scunthorpe United ?. Granted it would need fan funding to cover the costs but it’s definitely achievable.

An independent website run by fans, for fans? Maybe with a news section, comment pages, podcast and a messageboard?

Maybe come up with a pun on our nickname for the name of the site?

barriethomasbarriethomas
    Participant
    Topics: 41

Scunny United Fans Page on facebook.

barriethomasbarriethomas
    Participant
    Topics: 41

We stopped buying the Telegraph recently after about 75 years in our family, it is simply awful.

BobbyGmeisterBobbyGmeister
    Participant
    Registered On: January 12, 2014
    Topics: 47

A new low for me was the papers idea of listing the top 10 dogging sites in Scunny.

I missed that, can you post a link?

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

we all must remember the SET .is now the GVT.. their bias holds no limits so as my old gran used to say ……… FUCK EM

these fookers are just looking for the next big story, a robbery in Nunsthorpe , a rape on the prom , over priced condoms in the slots machines in Wonderland ,,

Na fook em cut elm loose they treated SUFC like sh8t

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.