Tamworth home

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Tamworth home

• Author
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Bring back Old big hair he broke the tradition MK.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 106

Worst I’ve seen us play this season, only real effort was from a near own goal, what has happened to the football played at the beginning of the season and scoring for fun, and I think tonight was a case of worrying about the opposition rather than go for the jugular

1 user thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Performances have been getting poorer for a while, with Butterfield stifled in midfield. Beestin on the wing is poor, Wilson is weak, Scales is anonymous and Clunan has been poor too.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

I’d put Scales on the right wing and bring Pugh in at CM to add a bit of steel with Ferris on the left and Whitehall upfront.

I like Wilson and think there’s a real player in there but he needs games on loan to toughen him up a bit. Wilson just needs regular games before making any real impact.

I do like Wilson though. Beestin clearly isn’t match fit and should be absolutely nowhere near a starting spot and I think Dean needs stringing up for starting him. I thought we saw the last of him out there after the last garbage display but looks like Dean wasn’t sure.

I don’t really blame Beestin as he’s been out for 4 and a bit months and clearly isn’t match fit. Ferris is sat there having scored 4 goals and in good form whilst he’s been out on loan and still opted for Beestin.

I do at times wonder about Dean thought process.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Not sure why Butterfield seems to be dropping deeper game by game; first half especially was one of those games where you want him within shooting range to offer a different threat. He often becomes lost in those scrappy midfield battles.

Midfield is looking far too lightweight at the minute, if Clunan wasn’t captain he would’ve been dropped, just doesn’t look the same since returning from injury. I’d seriously consider dropping him for a couple of games.

Despite our faults, Tamworth are by far and away the best side I’ve seen this year. Very much reminiscent of a number of national league sides I saw us against last year. Tonight’s result was no fluke, and barring an implosion they will lift the title in may.

To finish a dreadful night on a positive, 5,000 home fans on a Tuesday night is absolutely incredible support for Scunthorpe.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

At the beginning of the season it was fortress Glanford Park, the impregnable citadel of iron – now it’s more Thornton’s Glanford Park, made of chocolate which melts when the heat is on.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

So, here we are again! Big game, big build up, big crowd and the mighty Iron come up with a dire performance. How many times have we seen that over the years, I thought it was Tamworth who were supposed to be overawed by the occasion. Outplayed by a team short on skill but big on energy and enthusiasm, they can even afford to carry a luxury player who doesn’t kick the ball much but throws it a long way. Maybe not fair to comment on individuals but I’m going to do it anyway.
    Fitzsimons – kept us in the game, distribution (with the odd exception) was outstanding, why can’t the outfield players pass like that?
    Ogle – top notch
    Clunan – offers nothing going forward
    Scales – worst game in an Iron shirt
    Butterfield – showed in flashes but not enough, why has he stopped shooting?
    Beestin – not fit or not bothered, you decide.
    Elliott – can’t hold the ball up and looks like he’s forgotten how to score.
    Wilson – 10 for effort but no end product.
    The rest – average (generous in some cases)
    Management team – Are they? Were they there?? Were they watching??? Mussy was impressive on the 4th officials’ board though.
    Looks like being a long ‘rest of season’.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Agree with most of that though not sure about Ogle being top notch. Compared to many around him he was relatively okay but not that good.

‘Despite our faults, Tamworth are by far and away the best side I’ve seen this year. Very much reminiscent of a number of national league sides I saw us against last year’

Can’t say fairer than that. Nearly everything about them was right. Set up, tactics, confidence, game plan, attitude, movement, passing, etc. If they go up as expected they may fare well with the nucleus of that squad. Whether we go up or not, and regardless of the financial necessity, our squad needs a rebuild, with a clear strategy

wotnowbrncowwotnowbrncow
    Participant
    Registered On: February 1, 2019
    Topics: 1

I also thought Evans was one of the few to come out with any credit last night, won an awful lot in the air and got in front of his man to win the ball repeatedly. He also looked up for the physical battle which it was always going to be.
    Fitz made a few saves and his distribution was outstanding.
    I can’t think of any other positives.
    We never looked like winning and against a technically limited side who were well drilled, well prepared, motivated and managed the game like a team who just know how to grind out results.
    People say Jimmy hasn’t gat a plan B but I honestly couldn’t tell you what plan A is right now. We’re just so slow and ponderous once we get the ball 10 yards past the half way line, it gives teams time to get set and we then can’t pass through them so we just knock it side ways until someone ultimately miss controls it or plays a poor pass and we lose posession.
    We also look so lightweight in the middle of the pitch.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    BarnardFoxtonBarker..BarnardFoxtonBarker..
    Participant
    Registered On: June 28, 2017
    Topics: 0

Tamworth are no better than us but they are more committed more organised and play to their strengths. Well done Tamworth you deserved the victory.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

Well just as I thought apart from the Tanworth late goal spoiling my 0-0 forcast, Scunthorpe are so inaffective in their lijght wqeight attack, and their powder puff shooting is costing them points, Wilson, Beestin and Elliots poor shooting is so poor, it is not helped by the one up front system Jimmy never seems to stray from.

Well there are a lot of games to go, but these always pass so quickly, mand 12 points ap-pear to be too many at this moment of time, so for Christ sake please chage to 4-4-2 and with the squad we have we4 should be running away with this league. Did we actually make their keeper into making a save?????

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Their keeper made 1 excellent save from a deflected cross to save an own goal.

Everything else a decent Sunday league keeper would have dealt with. To be fair Ross didn’t have to do anything special either.

Until the sending off a goalless draw was beckoning with us marginally more likely to snatch a scruffy winner. They looked like a draw would have suited them from the off with their keeper taking best part of a minute for every goal kick.

Of course even a draw would have been a better result for them than us.

With the midfield and forward we have and Jimmy’s single minded formation we are only going to win against the better teams by playing fast passing football.

If we get drawn into a scrap we come out second best.

There was a lot of talk earlier in the season about playing us being a cup final for the opposition.

Well now we have 17 games we need to approach as our cup finals. Fast passing football from the off and don’t stop when we score.

The Tamworth style means they can manage games. We cannot so stop trying Jimmy.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Tamworth I thought were fairly poor themselves. I don’t think they were anything special at all in all honesty. They were more physical and better drilled but that’s about it.

One thing I will say is we look lightweight in midfield. Scales get’s bullied out of it and Butterfield is now ineffective. Clunan is ok but nothing more than that.

I know Beestin is still struggling in terms of match fitness but I’d go him and Pugh in the middle with Clunan behind them with Scales on the right wing with Ferris on the left with Whitehall through the middle.

The CM area needs beefing up. I know it’s a risk playing Beestin there but he’ll be fitter after last night and with more game time he’ll get back to not looking like he’s playing in lead boots.

If Dean was more tactically clued up then he’d change it up and move Butterfield much further forward in a no 10 role and play him behind Whitehall in a bid to get him time on the ball but he only knows one way of playing.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

On a positive note we probably only need another 12pts to achieve a playoff spot, even the most pessimistic will surely believe we will achieve that. Hopefully we will hit a rich vain of form coming into them, something sadly missing of late.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Just a small issue, why were Tamworth fans allowed behind the goal and not put in the corner of the stand like every other club who’s come here,just little things but can make a difference.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Tamworth I thought were fairly poor themselves. I don’t think they were anything special at all in all honesty. They were more physical and better drilled but that’s about it.

One thing I will say is we look lightweight in midfield. Scales get’s bullied out of it and Butterfield is now ineffective. Clunan is ok but nothing more than that.

I know Beestin is still struggling in terms of match fitness but I’d go him and Pugh in the middle with Clunan behind them with Scales on the right wing with Ferris on the left with Whitehall through the middle.

The CM area needs beefing up. I know it’s a risk playing Beestin there but he’ll be fitter after last night and with more game time he’ll get back to not looking like he’s playing in lead boots.

If Dean was more tactically clued up then he’d change it up and move Butterfield much further forward in a no 10 role and play him behind Whitehall in a bid to get him time on the ball but he only knows one way of playing.

Can’t agree with that, thought they put in a very good performance; as an away fan you’d be absolutely delighted with the way they played and it’s no fluke they are on such an incredible run.

Saturday will be interesting, does he double down on the 4-3-3 and the same personnel? The post match interview was concerning as he didn’t seem to acknowledge none of it was really working before the red card.

Personally, I haven’t seen nothing from Clunan since he returned from injury to suggest he should be starting, Beestin just doesn’t look fit enough either so I’d consider putting Pugh and Sembie Ferris in the starting line up. Butterfield has to be further up the field too, I’d almost play him as a second striker and end up in more of a 4-2-3-1 which was more or less the way we set up earlier in the league.

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

Definitely the worst home performance of the season I’ve seen so far…we were miles off the pace and just never really looked like scoring.

I still don’t quite get what Clunan brings to the team. He’s lightweight, can’t tackle, can’t shoot and can’t run with the ball. He just about manages to play a sidewards pass and likes to get in the refs ear but that’s about it. Shame we don’t really have a holding midfielder to replace him with.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

The former owner brought him in to fail. Nelson should have got the job and I think we would have survived.

JD seems genuine guy but his post match interviews are dire and perhaps explain things. I know we are 2nd but is that because he is in charge or despite him ?

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

GK Campbell

RWB Ogle
    CH Boyce
    CH Evans
    LWB Kelly

HM Pugh
    RM Ferris
    CM Butterfield
    LM Wilson

CF Whitehall
    CF Fitzsimons

Throw the kitchen sink at em!

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Clunan before his wife gave birth was superb but since then he’s been ordinary at best. This is his first season of full time football so maybe he’s not really battled hardened and has run out of steam. Clunan was superb earlier in the season but that looks version looks miles away.

I agree with Cliff in that I’d play Butterfield more advanced and just tell him to concentrate on what he does best. Dean has this one way of playing and doesn’t budge. Beestin looks a fair distance from being fit after being out for so long but playing him in CM maybe the best bet until he get’s more minutes under his belt.

No doubt Pugh and Ferris need to be in. Ever since Pugh came back Hereford have gone to shit and Scales I’d put on the wing due to a lack of quality there. I like Scales but he’s just not physical enough and I think he’d contribute more down the right further up the pitch.

We need to try something different in a bid to stop us completely fecking the season up because even if we limp to the play offs, if we don’t carry any momentum or form into them I can’t for the life of me see us winning them.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

GK Campbell

CF Whitehall
    CF Fitzsimons
    Throw the kitchen sink at em!

You had me going there until I got to the end!!

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

If Clunan has become a worse player since his wife gave birth then maybe Whitehall, oh wait.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Actual Attendance: 5,227
    Bravo!

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Can’t see the matter of new parenthood as the possible reason for Clunan’s drop in performance being brought up in interviews any time soon.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Can’t see the matter of new parenthood as the possible reason for Clunan’s drop in performance being brought up in interviews any time soon.

I still think that with this being his first season at a full time club has taken it’s toll. Clunan has been used to only training maybe two or three times a week for a I don’t know how long.

Reasoning is a bit weak but may have something to do with it. I don’t know with him because he doesn’t look like the same player.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

No worries, he’ll be back to part-time next season!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.