Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

Is this Rene in sheep’s clothing?

I assure you; I’m nonplussed.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Good morning Scunthorpe, from sunny, sunny Tamworth, the home of an ancient Norman castle, and our iconic heritage site, the Snow Dome!
    Please allow me, I come not to gloat or crow despite our five point advantage this morning. On the contrary, I bring goodwill, chocolates and flowers from south east Staffs.
    I have to say, I am stunned by the air of negativity on your website. It seems a bit premature for some of you men of Iron to be waving your white handkerchiefs so early in proceedings.
    How quickly the landscape can change at the top. After all, most humble Tamworth fans believe we are merely keeping the top seat warm for you. We expect nothing less than a battle to the death on April 20 – and that’s what I am sure we will get.
    But when all is said and done, surely the massive disparity in our two clubs relating to history, tradition, player-budget, spending power, full-time, fan-base and your wonderful ground, which we are so looking forward to visiting, will tilt the balance in your favour.
    However, despite all this bonhomie, I do have to take umbrage with one of your posters, MK Iron, who claims Tamworth are neither clever, pretty or entertaining.
    Let me address these three points individually.
    1. Clever. I am not privy to any Ofsted reports but I can only suggest that the GCSE success rate at English and Mathematics is at least on a par in Tamworth’s secondary schools with those in Scunthorpe.
    2. Pretty. Now granted I am no oil painting and a few of my fellow supporters can hardly claim to be Brad Pitt either. Indeed a couple of our players are in urgent need of a hair transplant – but by no means do we play ugly football.
    3. Entertaining. Again I have to concede we have a paucity of great entertainers who hail from Tamworth, though we do claim Del Trotter to be one of our own because of his love affair with a three-wheeled Reliant Robin which was built in Tamworth many moons ago.
    But on a slightly serious note, I spoke to a few Warrington supporters last night on leaving the ground who said Tamworth were the best team they had seen at their ground in years. They had been well and truly entertained by little old Tamworth.
    So, keep your chins up lads and we look forward to crossing swords with you a week on Saturday. Will Kevin Keegan be at the game? Our most famous footballing son. Paul Merson. has promised to come along to support us providing he can get out out of Soccer Saturday.
    And hopefully I will get the opportunity to say hello to a few of you pre-game in the Honest Lawyer, while drinking a pint of your finest Lincolnshire ale. You will easily recognise me, remember, I’m ugly and I will be carrying a box of Thorntons and a bouquet or red roses.
    Friendly Lamb.

How many are you expecting to bring… 500?

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Good morning Scunthorpe, from sunny, sunny Tamworth, the home of an ancient Norman castle, and our iconic heritage site, the Snow Dome!
    Please allow me, I come not to gloat or crow despite our five point advantage this morning. On the contrary, I bring goodwill, chocolates and flowers from south east Staffs.
    I have to say, I am stunned by the air of negativity on your website. It seems a bit premature for some of you men of Iron to be waving your white handkerchiefs so early in proceedings.
    How quickly the landscape can change at the top. After all, most humble Tamworth fans believe we are merely keeping the top seat warm for you. We expect nothing less than a battle to the death on April 20 – and that’s what I am sure we will get.
    But when all is said and done, surely the massive disparity in our two clubs relating to history, tradition, player-budget, spending power, full-time, fan-base and your wonderful ground, which we are so looking forward to visiting, will tilt the balance in your favour.
    However, despite all this bonhomie, I do have to take umbrage with one of your posters, MK Iron, who claims Tamworth are neither clever, pretty or entertaining.
    1. Clever. I am not privy to any Ofsted reports but I can only suggest that the GCSE success rate at English and Mathematics is at least on a par in Tamworth’s secondary schools with those in Scunthorpe.
    2. Pretty. Now granted I am no oil painting and a few of my fellow supporters can hardly claim to be Brad Pitt either. Indeed a couple of our players are in urgent need of a hair transplant – but by no means do we play ugly football.
    3. Entertaining. Again I have to concede we have a paucity of great entertainers who hail from Tamworth, though we do claim Del Trotter to be one of our own because of his love affair with a three-wheeled Reliant Robin which was built in Tamworth many moons ago.
    But on a slightly serious note, I spoke to a few Warrington supporters last night on leaving the ground who said Tamworth were the best team they had seen at their ground in years. They had been well and truly entertained by little old Tamworth.
    So, keep your chins up lads and we look forward to crossing swords with you a week on Saturday. Will Kevin Keegan be at the game? Our most famous footballing son. Paul Merson. has promised to come along to support us providing he can get out out of Soccer Saturday.
    And hopefully I will get the opportunity to say hello to a few of you pre-game in the Honest Lawyer, while drinking a pint of your finest Lincolnshire ale. You will easily recognise me, remember, I’m ugly and I will be carrying a box of Thorntons and a bouquet or red roses.
    Friendly Lamb.

Kyle Finn seems to be ripping it up for you guys?
    17 goals (as of 10/01/24) in all competitions from midfield I believe?

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 36

As a glass half full guy, I’m happy that we are in the mix for winning the league we are in, let alone favourites. It has been a long time coming.

The last few seasons have seen us flapping about in the relegation places without a clue how to win a match, let alone climb the table.

Next weeks match against Tamworth will be what is commonly known as a six pointer. But it will not decide anything, as there will still be more matches that we can win.

Buckle up guys, this will be exiting!

UTBI

1 user thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

Amen to that LK, can’t believe people are losing their minds about a 2-2 home draw!

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Losing the lead twice and all three points in the 91st minute was hard to take.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

It will be exciting IF we want it to be. What has concerned people over several other matches is how the balance and approach of the team changes when some substitutions happen.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

I’m old enough to remember when scoring 2 goals in a month was cause for celebration, let alone twice in one half!

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Friendly Lamb.

Negativity yes, but also an acceptance – finally – of where we are at. Spending at this level doesn’t always work, if you look at the other NLN teams here who have tried it, signing players from higher leagues and getting them to play hoofball doesn’t often work. It’s a scrap and if you can get out of it one go it’s an achievement.

Your lot are having an amazing season beyond expectations no doubt. Any comments at budgets are to hide how badly we’ve spent some of ours.

I wouldn’t take what MK Iron says too seriously. It’s a scrap of a league and if you look down the board in the Ilkeston thread, he was calling other fans morons and offering the hand of friendship for an elderly burger van owner, who was friendly with our former chairman.

Should be a good game.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

I’m old enough to remember when scoring 2 goals in a month was cause for celebration, let alone twice in one half!

I recokon Rene’s old enough to remember ‘the Knuts’

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

I recokon Rene’s old enough to remember ‘the Knuts’

No, I’m old but not old enough to have ever known us as ‘The Knuts’

Scunthorpe United

Nb. Obviously we only dropped two points against Boston the other night.

The timing of their equaliser made it feel like a defeat though.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Sorry Rene, I meant the Knutts. Bobby and his family of Knutts. Back on topic, I tend to agree with you.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

all will be a lot clearer after the next two fixtures ( CIRCA 5PM ON THE 20TH )…Steam Train Tamworth just keep rolling on knocking out win after win .. quite possibly they have had their blip a few weeks back loosing 3 on the bounce since which time its been a string of excellent victories.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Forgot my Tamworth prediction.. bit early but im going for score draw in front of over 5000.

3-3 has a ring to it

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Hopefully Jimbob will deploy an attack minded team.
    As everyone is saying, no point in setting up for a draw.
    A point is no good. We need all three.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Sorry Rene, I meant the Knutts. Bobby and his family of Knutts. Back on topic, I tend to agree with you.

From the article linked to above:

“Before 1950s Scunthorpe United were known as the Knuts. The origin is uncertain but it is generally accepted as being when they won one of the local charity cups. The vicar of Frodingham, the Rev Cryspant Rust said “that indeed Scunthorpe and Lindsey United were a tough (k)nut to beat”. It stuck from 1910ish to about 1950.”

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Forgot my Tamworth prediction.. bit early but im going for score draw in front of over 5000.

3-3 has a ring to it

Too early for me to throw a prediction out there yet.
    Fingers crossed for tomorrow.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

“Before 1950s Scunthorpe United were known as the Knuts. The origin is uncertain but it is generally accepted as being when they won one of the local charity cups. The vicar of Frodingham, the Rev Cryspant Rust said “that indeed Scunthorpe and Lindsey United were a tough (k)nut to beat”. It stuck from 1910ish to about 1950.”

I assumed it was from an early typo before spellcheck was invented.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Yes, aware of the origin Rene. Maybe from one of Staffy’s books. ‘Cryspant Rust’ looks like an anagram.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Jimbob has a hell of a lot of work to do to get his troopers ready for next week!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

the Tammy train keeps on rolling

BarnardFoxtonBarker..BarnardFoxtonBarker..
    Participant
    Registered On: June 28, 2017
    Topics: 0

You could say Tammy Win it(Wynette) by a country mile.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Unless they go bust: ‘Tam Packs In’

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

You could say Tammy Win it(Wynette) by a country mile.

Boom, boom!

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Japanese take over… Tamagotchi.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Is this the way Tamarillo?

[the edible fruit of an arborescent shrub (nightshade family) that is native to South America]

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Tamworth – proving pigs can fly!

The male pigs weigh about 700lbs / 50 stones.

“The Tamworth is a British breed of domestic pig. It is the only red-coloured British pig.
    Its origins are unknown, but it developed near the town of Tamworth”

“The hardy, boisterous Tamworth loves outdoor living. This breed doesn’t thrive in factory farming systems, so the breed has never really been intensively reared, meaning this breed’s integrity and flavour has remained preserved for centuries. With the marbling of fat through its meat and its outer layer of tasty fat, the Tamworth is renowned for its eating quality, and particularly famous for its marvellous bacon.”

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Tamworth will be deploying their bazookas next Saturday.

We need to rattle our Sabres to protect the Sky in front of our goal with our SAMs (Sky Sabre).

Here’s yesterday’s goal.
    A long throw from Tonks.
    Sloppy defending from Darlo.
    They had a 10 v 7 in their box and still conceded.
    They doubled up on the first three Tamworth players, yet left a Tamworth 2 v 1 overload at the back of the six yard box.
    Dolman ain’t ever going to get off the ground (lol) so I’d just go 1 v 1 on him.

We just need to be more switched on at throw ins and corners than what Darlo were.

Ready, Aim, Fire!
    Tamworth’s goals by minutes this season:

00 to 15 mins = 7
    16 to 30 mins = 7
    31 to 45 mins = 7
    45+ mins = 1

46 to 60 mins = 5
    61 to 75 mins = 9
    76 to 90 mins = 10
    90+ mins = 7

22 first half goals.
    31 second half goals.

They score 49% of their goals in the final 30 mins plus injury time of games.

They score 32% of their goals in the final 15 mins plus injury time of their games.

Their quiet spell is the 15 minutes immediately after half time.

It could be a long hard second half next Saturday!

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

We can’t sign players due to the embargo – but how about adding him to the coaching staff?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KeOlQFlsrZU

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Football is a game of stats.
    The team with the best stats win games.

Tamworth have the best defence in the league having conceded only 19 goals from 28 games.

They’ve kept 14 clean sheets from 28 games.
    In 50% of their games the opponents have failed to score!

They’ve kept 6 clean sheets away from home – 43%

Sept 9th to Oct 28th they kept 6 clean sheets on the bounce.

When do they concede goals?

00-15 min = 3
    16-30 min = 0
    31-45 min = 2
    45+ min = 1

46-60 min = 4
    61-75 min = 4
    76-90 min = 3
    90+ min = 2

They’ve conceded 6 (32%) goals in the first half of games and 13 (68%) in the second half of games.

Defeats – 6
    Their biggest defeat was 0-2.
    The other 5 defeats have been by a single goal.
    0-1 twice
    1-2 three times
    3 defeats at home – 3 defeats away

They’ve only failed to score on four occasions. 3 away games – 1 home game.

Turnovers:
    W-W 16… they’ve won 16 of the games in which they scored first

W-W = 16
    W-D = 1
    W-L = 1

D-D (0-0) = 1

L-L = 5
    L-D = 0
    L-W = 4
    They went on to win 4 games in which the opposition scored first.

Most frequent winning score:
    1-0 = 5
    2-1 = 4
    2-0 = 3
    4-0 = 3
    3-0 = 2
    4-1 = 2
    3-1 = 1

In 13 of their victories, they kept a clean sheet.

In their remaining 7 victories, the opponents only scored 1 goal.

No one has scored more than one goal against Tamworth when they have won.

Don the body armour and crash helmets – it’s going to be like the blitz!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.