Taft

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Taft

• Author
    JohnGaylesNuttingKitJohnGaylesNuttingKit
    Participant
    Registered On: May 26, 2017
    Topics: 10

I know he’s been far from great recently (to be fair, who has) – but there seems to be a bit of dislike for him going round on Twitter at the minute.

I was hoping he was going to form a decent partnership with Boyce this season, is there a reason I’ve missed which explains why he is so unpopular in some circles?

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

There are always those who will hang onto old prejudices.
    There are frequently supporters who will rarely give credit to a player that they have already pre-decided is a dud – even when he has given a 7+ out of ten performance.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Played much better in 2 of the 3 friendlies. Looked shaky against Rochdale when paired with Rowe. I think he is a guy that needs a dominant CB partner to get the best out of him. Certainly good enough if he can be bothered.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    ScunnyblueScunnyblue
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2021
    Topics: 0

Personally I think Tafty & Rory Seem to take the blame for everything last season & they had absolutely nothing in front of them to help em out , no wonder the other centre half’s all wanted out the club

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

Personally I think Tafty & Rory Seem to take the blame for everything last season & they had absolutely nothing in front of them to help em out , no wonder the other centre half’s all wanted out the club

A nail has never been hit so squarely on the head Scunnyblue.

ironkingironking
    Participant
    Registered On: October 8, 2014
    Topics: 71

Taft v Rochdale was clearly out of his depth and either made mistakes for their goals or was slow to react to danger or cover the left fullback.

Looked a lot better on Saturday alongside Boycee.

Not a big Rowe fan who crumbles when people run directly at him.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

There are always those who will hang onto old prejudices.
    There are frequently supporters who will rarely give credit to a player that they have already pre-decided is a dud – even when he has given a 7+ out of ten performance.

But isn’t Taft’s trajectory with the Iron the exact opposite of that? Started very well and has steadily deteriorated since.

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

Taft’s performance last season was right up there with the worst I’ve ever seen from a centre half. I’m hoping he was playing through some sort of injury as he most definitely needs to up his game back to levels he showed when first arriving on loan!

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

After Saturday I’m surprised no one has been suggesting he plays up front!

S11DS11D
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 3

Absolute liability. Rowe twice the player.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

He played OK against Sheffield United and Peterborough u21s, didn’t go to the Rochdale game so I haven’t seen the goals, I don’t think criticism helps anybody before the season starts, so give players a break until we start playing league games they aren’t fully fit yet.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Absolute liability. Rowe twice the player.

Not at CB he isn’t. Taft is quality if at his best.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

I really like Rowe. He works his socks off, has bit of ability and genuinely seems to care.

His weakness is he needs a second or two to decide what to do. Not uncommon with young players. He has not enough experience yet to play by instinct which is what good experienced footballers do.

At centre back you don’t get the second or two to make your mind up which is why it is unusual to see young centre backs. Hesitation often leads to a goal chance. The rare exceptions are either very talented or extremely confident or a bit of both.

For me Rowe needs a full season or two at first choice right back. He is the best at that position currently at the club and probably at least as good as anyone we will find in the bargain bin. At full back you can get away with the odd defensive lapse and often get a chance to make a recovery tackle or block. This will boost his confidence and allows him to become an experienced defender. Then move him to centre back when he is ready.

Having a full back that is decent in the air is very useful at set pieces as well. What we save on bringing in a right back we use to bring in a decent centre back as cover for Boyce and Taft. Young is not (yet) the answer to that for the same reasons as above.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    KEEP BELIEVINGKEEP BELIEVING
    Participant
    Registered On: January 23, 2022
    Topics: 3

I have yet to see Taft have a dominant display. I still have nightmares over his performance at Harrogate when we got thrashed. His lack of pace is clear to see. The latest disaster being the Rochdale game. His positional sense is poor and he gets caught in possession. He is a good header of the ball. To be of any use this campaign he needs to sharpen up, but IMO he is just a liability.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I am surprised that there aren’t more attempts to convert CBs into CFs.
    It is pretty rare these days but a good few attempts were made across the leagues in the 60s and 70s – some more successful than others, of course.

PaulVpaulv
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2015
    Topics: 1

Matt Carmichael?!

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

A bit later but The Beast did OK.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

Mark Sertori!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.