Statement 06/07/23

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Statement 06/07/23

• Author
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

“….bbbbuuuuutttt it wasn’t me it was my advisors fault, not me not my fault I don’t even gamble anymore”. Utter 💩

1 user thanked author for this post.
    CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant
    Registered On: October 16, 2021
    Topics: 1

Surely you are the one who bears the brunt of the blame for the current situation Mr. Swann? Dodgy Dave’s past is quite clearly in the public domain. Where was the due diligence?
    You should get together and sort this mess out even if it means taking a financial hit. You have run this club into the ground. This he said she said internet battle is embarrassing.
    The fans have stuck with the club despite the shower you’ve served up over the last 5 years and deserve much better.
    It’s not your club its not David Hilton’s club it’s a community asset belonging to the town and people of Scunthorpe.
    You and Mr Hilton should hang your heads in shame and that’s coming from a supporter of your biggest rivals .

9 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Would seem to call St Simon into question he said he had seen proof of funds from Mr Hilton.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Well said Captain Cod, I’m a haddock man myself but after your post you are definitely ” Dish Of The Day “. 🐟

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Well spotted Awaywego, so ” our advisors” had seen proof of funds and also Simon so what is the problem peterswann?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 67

What a phuk up we’ve become.
    Moral, motivation, inspiration, application, dedication, determination… will all be rock bottom come the first game of the season.
    Another torrid season ahead!

Shit House JoeSgt Booba
    Participant
    Registered On: December 29, 2013
    Topics: 0

Please see statement dated 06.07.23 below. I have posted here as a last resort to attempt to bring the fans up to date as I don’t have any social media accounts.

There comes a time, during every business transaction, when a party must state certain facts due to media posts and speculation in the public domain, which are untrue, misleading and causing harm to one or more of the associated parties. I hope this statement clarifies in writing, what can be substantiated with evidence if ever challenged.
    We as a family decided to look to sell the club and Glanford Park a couple of years ago and had various interests from multiple parties. Those potential purchasers worked with us on establishing the value of the club and land, working through budgets, creditors and debtors etc. Over that period all of those offers and interests fell away due to a lack of proven funds but not until a substantial amount of time and money was spent in accommodating those interested parties. In January, we decided to appoint an advisor to add clarity to the situation and we hoped to be able to move the club on quicker and with transparency. Sadly, each new potential buyer fell away at the proof of funds and finance stage of the purchase, even with a professional independent advisor on board.
    In the middle of January, I was told that we had serious interest from an individual who already owned a club and wanted to step in and take the football club and land associated with it and that our advisors had seen proof of funds. The land and stadium were priced at £3m and the individual was notified that the club would probably need £600k of liquid investment to finish the season. Management accounts, budgets and all other details were at hand, as we had prepared and provided these for many other previous potential investors. Everything was clear in the financial package and the purchaser, Mr David Hilton, had access to this and so much more information. The price was agreed – Mr Hilton was happy with the £3m price tag and understood the investment needed to finish the season and take on all the existing debts and loans. As such, we decided to sell the club to Mr Hilton for a few pounds and proceeded to enter an exclusivity period, which was Mr Hilton’s idea and also included extended timescales, at Mr Hilton’s request, for any extra due diligence on the asset and so that, in his words, he could liquidate the funds required to purchase.
    In late January, we signed a 4-month exclusivity agreement, which meant we could not sell to another party and were bound into that period with Mr Hilton. During this period, Mr Hilton had explained he was using the best professional people to advise him on the land and stadium and didn’t require his lawyers until the transaction was to be concluded. Although in breach of the exclusivity deal, we were happy to work on this premise. At no time did Mr Hilton raise concerns over the price and in fact on multiple occasions had stated he was happy with the price and would be concluding on time or even earlier.
    The first red flag surfaced when Mr Hilton announced the 1899 club membership scheme, which uncannily reflected the figures for the purchase of the club and stadium, as well as the likely liquid funds required to finish the season. We approached Mr Hilton on this and explained we were concerned he did not have the funds to purchase, which is when the relationship went south, to a point where direct contact was impossible due to the content of certain emails and texts received by myself. The lawyers then took control and no direct discussions have taken place since. No new proof of funds, as asked for by me, or statement of wealth has been forthcoming.
    During the exclusivity period, we continued to work tirelessly, answering his enquiries via our solicitors in a timely and professional manner and overcoming all questions asked on the matter. Despite this, still the process dragged on. We received an offer for the full amount spaced over a period, which we agreed to but required proof of funds and security over the property until the amount was paid in full. However, Mr Hilton asked to secure the balance payments on a personal guarantee, which would have been just less than half of the agreed purchase price over 12 months or more, interest free. We again asked for proof of funds, which were being withheld. Mr Hilton refused to accept security over the land and stadium and after we did our own due diligence decided we couldn’t accept a personal guarantee, which now was being asked to be put against SUFC rather than himself in any case. This was unacceptable for us, and we were sure this is something that would not go down well with the fans either. From about a month before the end of the exclusivity period, Mr Hilton refused to pay the agreed sum and started to impose unrealistic demands which we could not accept under the agreement that was in place.
    We have acted with full professionalism, respected the exclusivity agreement in full and with flexibility where needed, never moved the transaction to benefit us beyond the agreement and in fact have worked to accommodate any deal that would have ensured Scunthorpe Utd had the best possible chance of moving forward and staying at Glanford Park (GP). These range from a discounted one-off price, to a deposit and interest free payments, to a part sale with agreement to change the price if any issue was found to devalue the site. In fact, that is still available and has been on the table – Mr Hilton could have owned the site, secured possession and the future of the club by paying just 50% of the asking price and working on the remaining monies needed. To this day I have still not seen proof of funds directly or, received via the solicitors, any up-to-date proof of funds or wealth as requested and we must question until proven otherwise whether those funds were available and / or are still available to purchase the site under the exclusivity agreement.
    The recent media / news reports and online chatter regarding a new stadium, training facilities and a potential ground share agreed late April and licenced by the National League at that time, have convinced us that Mr Hilton does not have the money to purchase the site and in fact was ready to vacate after the May deadline as stated in the exclusivity agreement. To our complete surprise we received notification shortly before the deadline that Mr Hilton would be himself issuing SUFC a short term 7-day periodic lease, in contravention of the exclusivity agreement and where he had no legal right to do so. This lease will be challenged in the courts shortly and Mr Hilton and SUFC will be asked to vacate the land. The lease he issued himself does not constitute a security of tenure required by the National League or the FA. We have made this point very clear to the National League alongside many other ongoing major issues, however they have refused to work with us or even communicate with us properly to discuss these concerns.
    It is unfathomable that Mr Hilton has not truly informed the fans of this situation, still continues to claim the club holds a two-year secured lease, that SUFC will 100% be playing at GP, and that a groundshare had been agreed as a backup! SUFC has been taking monies for season tickets, sponsorship, home friendlies, car parking, as well as signing numerous players on contracts who have likely committed with the expectation of playing at GP this season – all these parties making purchases and commitments not knowing the true nature of the situation. Mr Hilton is completely aware of all of the above and yet both he and SUFC continue to publicly pretend all is well and that GP will be where SUFC play their football this season.
    It is time Mr Hilton answered publicly and directly to inform the fans what is going on – not hiding behind closed doors, in closed interviews, through Facebook or through others’ social media accounts. Mr Hilton needs to tell the fans the truth of the position he is in, not only on the purchase, but why he hasn’t publicly kept them in the loop regarding the situation both himself and SUFC find themselves in. There are many more serious questions that must be answered and there is still a chance the situation could be recovered, if Mr Hilton decides to pay what was agreed, in whichever format that works for all parties and with accompanying legitimate proof of funds. However, currently the occupation of GP and a complete lack of any recent considered efforts by Mr Hilton and his team to come to any form of amicable agreement on the purchase has meant we have been forced into legal action to regain possession of the property.

Good Evening Peter,

First of all I will reiterate that I am not a supporter of Scunthorpe United. That said, back in early April I was sent a copy of an interview which Hilton gave and I was asked for my observations and opinion which I duly provided after conducting some due diligence and checks. Based on my findings, I have some questions, please.

1) What due diligence relating to Hilton did you and your professional advisors conduct prior to entering into an exclusivity agreement with him?

2) As a follow on to my first question, you hint that a deal for the freehold could still be rescued. With this in mind, why do you consider Hilton to be a suitable custodian for the club?

3) How was the sale of Scunthorpe United Football Club Ltd and the freehold structured? Were your families shares in the company transferred to Hilton on the condition that he would complete on the freehold? In other words, if Hilton reneges on the deal for the freehold what happens to his shareholding in Scunthorpe United Football Club Ltd? Can you take back control of the club?

4) What supporting evidence was provided to Mark Ives and the National League which resulted in them approving the transfer of shares?

I have no interest in falling out with you or any Scunthorpe supporter, but I think you had a bad day at the office entertaining Hilton and I suspect by now you know it.

Get out his arse ffs.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

You can have as much proof of funds as you like, you don’t get the goods until the cheque cashes

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Why because some numpty has posted some unsubstantiated statement on a piss pot football forum, get away with ya, we’ll piss the league. UTI 😜

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 67

If Swann evicts us – where are we going to play?

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Indeed, you finally get it, Facebook groups are a swamp ,too easy v to start and hence badly run by lazy people. Unlike this dedicated forum that’s took genuine work and dedication ,not to mention funds by people who b put time into it

FLTFLT
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 0

Perfect devide and conquer

Bartoniron66Bartoniron66
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 56

For f@%ks sake can someone please,please,please sort this situation once and for all and give the supporters the peace of mind we haven’t had for 5 years.

It’s embarrassing and we are the laughing stock of the football world! Barton , Brigg, winterton and Bottesford town are all run better on part time basis then a full time professional club that we are supposed to be.

Mr Hilton/Smith needs to put up the money as requested and agreed and get Mr Swann paid up so he can walk away from the club, until this happens we are going to be in limbo, so if you can’t raise the funds then say so or pay up and get this sorted.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

It still amazes me that people thought that not paying Swann the agreed sum and having the ground for a few quid could be remotely viable, and that the stadium could be lent to himself. Of course this was going to happen, it’s been on the cards for weeks. I am only surprised it took Swann so long to rear his head.

Hilton will be judged on his own clownishness, but Swann needs to give his head a wobble for making the deal with little thought. Yet another bad decision by Swann.

qwertyqwerty
    Participant
    Registered On: July 3, 2022

Some things are more important than money. Nobody made you squander £millions chasing the dream of Championship football. Don’t punish a whole community for your failures whilst owner.

Accept you f’d up, give the club its land back and disappear into the sunset.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

If the peterswann statement is genuine ( we don’t know either way ) then he is firmly to blame through his own appointed advisors who appear to not know the difference between proof of funds and not enough funds. peterswann set these people a task and failed and yet he believed them to begin negotiations to sell the ground and land, this is another epic failure by a person who has been an unmitigated disaster for our beloved football club. He will not get off the hook after all the pain and anguish he has put the club’s supporters through these last few years. If the club goes under it is wholly his fault and his fault alone, the whole situation is completely intolerable.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I would blame him and Hilton. Swann’s idiocy in lack of any diligence over the sale does not let someone off the hook for being a possible bullshitter.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

peterswann should go Humberside tomorrow or Look North and repeat the statement word for word, this would put the ball back in Hilton’s court despite certain sections of the statement showing peterswann in a very poor light which appears to show his judgement and business acumen in some issues to be extremely poor and amateurish.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I agree. To be honest, did we expect anything other than amateurishness from Swann after his tenure?

Both him and Hilton need to act more professionally. This club matters more than either of them and they’re both in a “he said this” battle. One making unfounded accusations against fans and trying to turn other fans against them, which is disgraceful in my opinion. It says a lot about his character.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Is it just me that thinks that the OP (genuine or not) does not make things clearer at all?

I want to sell my house. Joe Bloggs says he’ll buy it and assures me he has the money. Solicitors are employed. It then appears that Joe doesn’t have the capital after all. What happens?

Well it’s still my house. Mr Bloggs cannot come in to sleep in the spare bedroom or re-paint the living room.

Of course I myself could choose to live somewhere else and leave the property empty until I get another buyer, but Joe Bloggs would have no say in the matter.

Something smells fishy; and it’s not Captain Cod!

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

As you can possibly tell by my activity on here tonight I along with many other Iron fans, am absolutely f****ng fuming by the revelations posted earlier. I apologise for any over zealous remarks but I’ve had my little say as a genuinely concerned Iron fan of over 59 years and I’m now going for a lie down. Night all, keep the faith. UP THE IRON.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I may be mistaken, but hasn’t Hilton claimed squatter’s rights, essentially? Isn’t this why Swann is trying to turf him out? At least in Swann’s account. It’s analogous to a renter refusing to leave their rental house afterwards and the landlord going to the court to evict them. Or am I mistaken (I am no legal bod)?

*Sighs* It’s all a mess. We deserve more than what these two chumps have delivered for us.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

I think when the dust settles, it would be beneficial to think ahead about the implications of Mr Swann’s statement and where this leaves Hilton / White / Anderson (whatever his real name is), rather than ranting about Swann himself, when the chances are he’s not going to reply. We can’t turn back the clock and do anything about it now. It may also be worth some posters reviewing the many previous questions and concerns raised on here and elsewhere, in a different light.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    CaptainCodCaptainCod
    Participant
    Registered On: October 16, 2021

Well said Captain Cod, I’m a haddock man myself but after your post you are definitely ” Dish Of The Day “. 🐟

I can’t stand cod , my nickname was given to me by some of your fans whilst working on the renovations at Baths hall! Captain Haddock doesn’t really sound right !
    The situation doesn’t look good , Swanny shafted you big time and it looks like Hilton’s shafting Swann. The Thing I worry about Hilton is the Trump like posturing. He’s not answering any valid questions and just attacking those asking.
    He must have anticipated this given his past. He’s trying to turn it into an either you’re with me or against me scenario.
    Don’t let it turn into team Hilton V team Swann. The clues in the name . United.
    We maybe rivals but this shouldn’t happen to any football club .
    UTM
    UTI

7 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

Also, for anyone still doubting if the statement is by anyone else but Peter Swann, ask yourself why it’s not been deleted. Also consider, that the contents of the statement have been published, unlike much of the content from Mr Hilton at the fans forum, which many of us didn’t attend but were told he spent a large portion of that event criticising Swann.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘He must have anticipated this given his past. He’s trying to turn it into an either you’re with me or against me scenario.
    Don’t let it turn into team Hilton V team Swann’

Spot on IMO.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Aidan McCartney (journalist) and The Lower League Look podcast are saying it’s Swann. The former says he was tipped that Swann was breaking his silence today and that sources have confirmed it’s him, while the latter says that information Swann has revealed corresponds perfectly with what associates of Swann have previously told them.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

What a circus.

adminSST
    Keymaster
    Registered On: December 19, 2013
    Topics: 82

A few words from us

Statement

6 users thanked author for this post.
    IronIronIronIronIronIron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 6

Well spotted Awaywego, so ” our advisors” had seen proof of funds and also Simon so what is the problem peterswann?

Surely the problem is that DW is not parting with his cash. If he’s got it and they have agreed the price then he should pay up – then Swann will be gone forever

2 users thanked author for this post.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.