Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Starting next season

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2400

I heard something raised on a podcast the other day (not the Iron Bru one: others are available!) which I hadn’t considered before. As it stands, I can’t see how next season can start for lower league clubs.

At the moment, most clubs in our division have furloughed their players which means those players are not allowed to work.
    At the same time, everyone seems to agree that next season will have to start behind closed doors.

So my question is this: to start the season, presumably clubs will have to take their players off furlough and start paying them again. But if those clubs are not going to be getting any ticket revenue, how are they going to find the money? As I see it, playing games next season would cost clubs a lot of money. They’d be better off not starting the season, unless I’m missing something.

SouthYorksIron
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7

Someone’s missing something, given that the club repeatedly push this offer to the front of the official website despite not yet having fulfilled the same commitment they made last year:

“The 12th Man Package will once again include some fantastic benefits which include:

Entry to all 23 home league games for the 2020-21 season and your seat reserved for every home league fixture“

Still pressure to buy by next Friday or face a significant financial penalty…

backofthenet18
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 31

Yes I am not sure how they can expect us to renew under these circumstances.

1 user thanked author for this post.

forgotten
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 241

I doubt that they are expecting anything. All that they are concerned about is getting in as much money as possible, at the moment there is no other source of cash except for more loans from the chairman (if he’s in a position to do so, given that all of his businesses are in the hospitality and leisure industries).
    Like many L1 & L2 clubs, there is a very real chance that the club may not make it through the summer. Don’t expect many (any?) signings in June.

MK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 206

Won’t be renewing mine until 2 things happen.

First there has to be a realistic chance that I will be able to actually watch the games.

Second I would want to be offered a refund on the 4 games I did not get to see from this season. I will happily refuse the offer to help the club in difficult times but I do think the offer should be made.

Ferrite
    Participant

I think that’s fair MK Iron. I have no problem with the club trying to promote season ticket sales, they can’t be blamed for trying, but it does seem odd that there is little or no mention of the fact those season tickets may not be useable. At the very least, the club could offer some other benefits for anyone renewing, surely more of an incentive is needed? Whether that’s a free shirt, a chance to have a donation made to a charity in your name, or getting a 2021/22 season ticket for free if you renew this summer? I realise all of those cost money but as others have mentiond cashflow is going to be crucial so now is a time to get creative.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3006

Like most of the Season Ticket holders, I shall also be hanging back regards next seasons tickets, there is very little chance of fans being at games at least until 2021.

Regarding the four remaining home matches that this seasons ticket holders will miss, I have no intention of wanting money back from the club, it is not our fault, and it is not the clubs fault that these games are not to be played, and we bought the tickets at cheap prices, so the way I look at it is:- after watching so much poor defensive unentertaining games this season, this early ending of the season has come as a plus for me, and six hours less of pain.

And unless we have a new manager in charge for next season, I shall not be bothering, I did not think I would ever say this, but although Russ comes accross as a nice guy, the idea of attending games should be to enjoy them, not watch us have two shots on target during the 90 mins, we have just had two years of turning up at GP to be bored to tears on most occasions, enough is enough, I shall miss the nearby seated friends near my seat, but the rootball is so defensive and boring.

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 631

You should be glad if we have steam to watch, get over yourself.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 179
    Replies: 3739

You should be glad if we have steam to watch, get over yourself.

Makes a change from watching paint dry I suppose.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Ferrite
    Participant

One of the great things about trips to Kidderminster, apart from the pies, was the chance to spot the Severn Valley Steam Railway trains puffing past the ground.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 249
    Replies: 10997

You should be glad if we have steam to watch,

“Na Na Na Na, Na Na Na Na, Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye”!

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 631

steam hey, that would have to be wet steam then, f predictable text, do think it could catch on as a sport maybe its something that BS could take up.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4184

BS has been playing it for years, going by his arstroshush speeellins.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.