Squad for NLN

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Squad for NLN

• Author
    IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

It’s half time and looks like we’ve had yet another poor decision against us for a legit goal. That aside we seem to be really struggling at the minute – with an expensively put together squad who should easily hold their own a division higher. Tactics and play seem way off, no doubt off the pitch issues affecting them but we really need to start to pick up results away from home and push for the top places. We won’t pack the park losing 1-0 at Chester.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

Just turned radio off, working on a Saturday is depressing enough, being 2-0 down only adds to the pain!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

True.
    Desperately missing Clunan and Beestin.
    Callum Roberts. Might be nice to see him once or twice before New Year.

ScunnyblueScunnyblue
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2021
    Topics: 0

This manager is Clueless

IronaweIronawe
    Participant

We need to have a serious conversation about the manager. He has passion and desire in spades. Don’t doubt he has Scunny running through his veins but tactically he’s just not there. We don’t have the cash to get somebody new in (I doubt) but we need somebody to maybe try and oversee or a decent number 2. Dean gets outthought every week by part timers.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Finished 2-0 to Chester

surely game should have been abandoned or postponed when the ref went off injured… a Chester fan coming out the crowd to run the line as no fourth official .. really is pub league stuff.

btw Chester were the better side and deserved their win, Chester goalie didnt have a save to make and too many silly mistakes gifting goals.

plymironPlymiron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 27

Be interesting to hear from those that were at the game.
    Listening to the commentary it sounds like we gave them a gift with the first goal following a poor pass in defence.
    And for the second goal our defence stood off and allowed him to shoot.
    Nothing much to do with the manager – just basic mistakes from the players.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Calum McIntyre, the Chester manager is only 30.

He never played League Football and his only previous managerial role was at Runcorn Linnets.

Experience is no guarantee of success.

Remember Keith Hill?

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

Just keep on riding the rollercoaster folks. We’ll probably hammer Spennymoor on Tuesday night now.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant

If result was isolated then fair enough but we’ve been poor for a long time now, more so away from home. Thoroughly outplayed at times, we need to have a good season.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Really poor today. We went with 3-5-2 and hardly created a chance from
    Open play. Hard to blame the formation as we’ve struggled to break teams down for 5/6 games now.

Midfield and the front 2 in particular were non-existent. I thought we’d see a response after a 2 week break and the recent takeover, but if anything it had the opposite effect.

With the amount of money some of these will be earning for the level, they have to deliver more, Jimmy Dean has to deliver more.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 106

Struggled since Beestin and Clunan got injured

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

I think if we’re all really honest we’ve not been that good all season.
    We have a very very good squad but the set up and game plans are way too cautious, we need to go at teams, use the width of the pitch, increase the pace and the penetration.
    The players seem to play in such tight pockets as well, let’s create space and get teams chasing us.
    2 performances aside we have limped to victories or relied on brilliance from one of our gems… Butterfield!!!
    I don’t expect Beestin or Clunan to make a major difference tbh.
    Cal Roberts fully fit could be a game changer but only if we start actually attacking teams with intent.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Was it mucking about at the back that cost us 1st goal?

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

Yes. No names but a player on loan from Leeds …

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

How long is Jimbob’s contract?

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

Midfield packed with good players and a bit of magic yet the way we play limits them going forwards and offers no protection to what is probably our best back 5 in years.
    Jimmy loves the club that’s absolutely clear to see and we’ve taken to him!
    However, if the off field bits get sorted (I desperately hope they do) the attention really will turn on performances and result’s.
    This team is full time in a league where most are not.
    It’s a squad made up of players who could/should all be playing at least one level above.
    Yet we’re pretty average , easy to break down and predictable going forward.
    There’s been 2 ‘Jimmy ball’ games where something clicked or the opposition we’re just awful… apart from that we’ve not done a lot.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant

Spot on Sharp Shooter.

We cannot sleepwalk into ‘I’m just grateful I’ve got a club to support’ territory. yes we are all grateful and it’s wonderful to talk about on the pitch stuff but if we slip into mediocre football and mid table obscurity in NLN, long term it won’t work. We need to be at teams from minute one – far too cautious and lacking any plan B when things don’t go our way.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

Well what a terrible bloody day, first of all watched England Cricket team get hammered once again, it was like watching a bunch of no hopers and resulted in getting thrashed by 230 runs. Then it was Scunny FC, who it was stated on RH, that they were outplayed, and many of the Scunny players did not appear to be trying and left it to others to do their work, resulted in a 2-0 defeat, my son was watching his team Derby on pay TV, who also lost 1-0 at Shrewsbury of all places. This was then followed by me watching the England RU team in the World Cup Semi, who really played their hearts out and led all the game up until two minutes from time when a long penalty resulted in them losing 17-16, my day had been really bad, but some great news at the end of the day when my Speedway team Scunthorpe Scorpions won the Championship KO Cup Final after a great 45-45 draw at holders Poole Pirats after beating them 47-43 in the fist leg. So my very poor day ended on a brilliant night, so well done the Scorps.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Not too long ago we were cutting teams to shreds with Whitehall on fire but as mentioned with Clunan and Beestin out we have laboured. Clunan kept the ball moving quick in midfield and Beestin has that bit of quality to knit things together further up.

I don’t think the formation worked today at all, I thought we were far too conservative. I do however think we need to shed a few players and draft another striker if possible as Whitehall and Elliot aren’t enough.

Elliot’s injury didn’t help today either. Clunan and Beestin will help no end, I did mention we most missed Clunan weeks ago and a certain few thought I was mad but he was the one that took control and kept the ball moving.

Those two can’t come back soon enough !

On to todays formation change, I personally just didn’t get it. Why not keep with what we were playing ?

I thought we showed them for too much respect !

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Not too long ago we were cutting teams to shreds with Whitehall on fire but as mentioned with Clunan and Beestin out we have laboured. Clunan kept the ball moving quick in midfield and Beestin has that bit of quality to knit things together further up.

I don’t think the formation worked today at all, I thought we were far too conservative. I do however think we need to shed a few players and draft another striker if possible as Whitehall and Elliot aren’t enough.

Elliot’s injury didn’t help today either. Clunan and Beestin will help no end, I did mention we most missed Clunan weeks ago and a certain few thought I was mad but he was the one that took control and kept the ball moving.

Those two can’t come back soon enough !

On to todays formation change, I personally just didn’t get it. Why not keep with what we were playing ?

I thought we showed them for too much respect !

WGs … MAYDAY MAYDAY HMS piss the league is in distress emergency assistance requested.

Agree with all youve posted .. Clunan a massive miss in midfield also back 4 dont look as solid with Kuougun missing, we dont have enough fore power up front like a ratty goal poacher who can finish a la Sharp Hooper etc.

Next two fixtures are huge and max points a must.

UTI

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

Spot on Sharp Shooter.

We cannot sleepwalk into ‘I’m just grateful I’ve got a club to support’ territory. yes we are all grateful and it’s wonderful to talk about on the pitch stuff but if we slip into mediocre football and mid table obscurity in NLN, long term it won’t work. We need to be at teams from minute one – far too cautious and lacking any plan B when things don’t go our way.

Arguably we are already in “I’m just grateful” territory. Unfortunately this is Hilton’s fantasy football squad, we never should have got. Can we afford to keep it ?

premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

The next three games are crucial If we don’t get 9 points we can forget about promotion

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Cheer up!

Calum McIntyre said in his post match interview that we were still Champions Elect!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

So that’s 2 away games in a row backpasses have cost us goals, quite simple really stop doing backpasses (and playing it along the back line), it’s boring anyway, the rule of no backpasses to the goalie was brought in to stop time wasting and encourage more attacking play, well that certainly failed, scunny ain’t no man city just pack it in and get on the front foot and take it to teams.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant

Survival and playoffs would do for me, this season.
    We saw what JD could do with his full squad (Less Roberts). That was well good enough.
    So what has changed?
    Er … injury lists?
    Why not just look at the most obvious answer. Clearly, JD can manage a decent squad but struggles with a badly diminished one.
    There aren’t many managers who can do better in such situations.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Survival is the main goal clearly, and it will all come at a price on the pitch.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

I have never been a fan of 5-3-2 at the lower levels of professional football and I think I am correct in saying most of our managers over the last 10 years have tried it and failed to make it work.

It is only a valid defensive tactic if you are trying to snatch a point (or 3 if you are very lucky) when you are playing a vastly superior football team. Should not be relevant to us this season then.

It is only a valid attacking tactic if you have full backs that can go past defenders and cross the ball properly and at least one centre back with the ability to step into the base of midfield and pass the ball forwards with decent accuracy. We have none of these things so should not be relevant to us. It allows us to get more sideways and backwards passes whilst we wait for the opposition to get into their defensive shape before we knock it long anyway.

That said the formation worked OK for 30 minutes yesterday. But for a incorrect offside flag we would have been 1 up and with a bit of luck it could have been 2. Chester were no threat and a high press was causing them to go long which was playing into our hands.

Once we gifted them a goal their building frustrations lifted, our heads dropped and we pretty much didn’t lay a glove on them after that. I didn’t see anyone on the pitch or the touchline doing anything to change how badly the team played for the last hour. If anything was said at half time by way of motivation or tactical change then nothing was apparent on the pitch.

On a related note could someone ask Whitehall to occasionally win the ball and do something with it instead of constantly sitting on his arse and claiming he has been fouled. Officials and opposition coaches are well aware this is his default tactic so it rarely results in a free kick even when he is fouled.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

“On a related note could someone ask Whitehall to occasionally win the ball and do something with it instead of constantly sitting on his arse and claiming he has been fouled. Officials and opposition coaches are well aware this is his default tactic so it rarely results in a free kick even when he is fouled.”

This!!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

“This is Hilton’s squad”

I thought Jimmy chose the players?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.