South Shields

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace South Shields

• Author
    premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

They lost 4-0 to Darlington at home yesterday who are second from bottom.If we can’t win on Tuesday then Dean has to go

1 user thanked author for this post.
    IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 41

Dean doesn’t have the nous to change his approach, that’s the problem.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

I’d be surprised if Dean went till the end of the season no matter where we finish in the league. It was never going to be as easy as some made out, once on the slippery slope it takes awhile to regain your feet and we’ve been on that slope 6 years and counting. We still have a club that’s the main thing, long haul patience required.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

SS had 2 players sent off as well so they may have bans ?? .. on any given day any side can beat anyone in this nasty rag tag n bobtail league so dont be surprised if its another draw Tuesday.

BarnardFoxtonBarker..BarnardFoxtonBarker..
    Participant
    Registered On: June 28, 2017
    Topics: 0

IFA I don’t think their bans start until 7 days after being sent off in this hell hole of a league.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 70

I feel sorry for JD. I don’t think he was brought in to succeed. Where we are is more luck than design.

Someone who knows a lot about the non-league scene watched and commented as we recruited and built the squad. He couldn’t believe it. Said “Give Scunthorpe the league trophy now” . I think JD has over achieved but needs to admit it and step away.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Tamworth lost there earlier in the season.

Just saying!

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

They also lost at home to us NI, couldn’t see that happening now!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

im basing my prediction on our totally crap current form and lack of fight n interest of a few of the players.. sadly 2-1 to SS

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

SS 1-0 Iron

PaulSanfran49
    Participant

Will always go IRON win but with JD no one is optimistic these days. If he does not alter his negativity the gates will start to fall.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

IFA I don’t think their bans start until 7 days after being sent off in this hell hole of a league.

Correct, my theory on this being that at this level clubs have to carry smaller squads and so might need a bit of warning to cover gaps left by suspended players.

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

Some good points in this discussion; for me it was obvious when he was appointed that the club owner back then (David WHAM) was taking a huge gamble as this was without a doubt, the biggest job in his career. I often wonder why he was appointed; was it because WHAM saw him as an up-and-coming manager who would do great things? Or was it because he was a cheap option? Or was it for some darker reason?

Whatever the reason, and whatever we think of JD, I feel that baring something crazy we are stuck with JD until the end of the season as a minimum. Despite what we think we want, the club’s main focus this season is stabilisation and securing it’s financial future. Unlike the Swann era, I do not think that the current board will be as quick to dismiss a manager and, I am not sure it makes financial sense for the club to do so right now.

We have to accept that baring a miracle of biblical proportions, this season’s automatic promotion belongs to Tamworth and Scunthorpe United are bound for the NLN play-offs. As to how we’ll fare in the play-offs, I dread to think. JD doesn’t seem to be able to return the club back to the electrifying performances we saw against Spennymore etc. and right now, despite having lots of the ball we seldom create a clear cut chance to score. If we take our current form into the play-offs I fear we will be doomed to stay in the NLN for another season, or longer.

In short, unless JD can develop a plan B, C and D on match day, we are all doomed!

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I think Dean’s contract is up at the end of the season. If so, I hope the end of the season is the limit, because whatever league we’re in next season, I don’t see him doing well. He shouldn’t get an extension in my opinion.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    sufc.not.on.toursufc_not_on_tour
    Participant
    Topics: 28

I think Dean’s contract is up at the end of the season.

You’re correct, he has though requested an extension to that contract.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I usually support any manager until I really can do so no longer.
    I am distinctly unimpressed by his one dimensional, tactical thinking. Surely, we can do better.
    If he does win us promotion – which I now consider improbable – then, we are morally obliged to give him a punt at the NL. But I would expect him to improve from where we are now.
    Surely, Nelson would have done a better job with this side. But then, the problem is that our squad might well have been very different.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant

I think Dean’s contract is up at the end of the season.

You’re correct, he has though requested an extension to that contract.

The board have said that all new contracts offered will be at reduced terms. Going to be interesting and one would imagine they may be lower still if we stay in NLN !

IronaweIronawe
    Participant

If Dean has requested an extension he needs to demonstrate he isn’t one dimensional and knows what he’s doing because at the minute he isn’t doing a great job and has no clue how to change things. Not a great advert for a contract extension. He’s Hilton’s man so maybe we need somebody with league experience and previous ties to the club……

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Talking to a couple of Shields fans last night and they’re convinced we’re going to hammer them again.

Seems like we don’t have the monopoly on pessimism!

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

After a good start in the season SS appear to have struck a bad patch, and after their 4-0 defeat on Saturday against Darlingyon, should be there for the taking, but as stated my forum members, Dean does not play attacking systems, and with our powder puff forwards, and that we have scored just 4 goals in our last seven games,, it is difficult a forcast wins at present.

After saying that, I still think that a forcast of:-

SOUTH SHIELS 1 SCUNTHORPE 2

But do not place any money on that forcast, because it is difficult to see us scoring two goals in any match with our one up front system, maybe goals from mid field players will save the day.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant

Butterfield misfiring and Scales out of touch, Cluinan can’t score as that would involve aiming the ball in the opposite direction to his normal service. Pugh could contribute but Dean doesn’t like him for some reason.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

As said before in another thread we have 4x the budget of the normal club at this level with the best support in the history of NLN and still he’s finding a way to struggle.

Dean’s contract is definitely up come the end of season and if I was Michelle and Co I certainly wouldn’t be offering an extension. I think we need a manager with experience at this level or the one below who fully understands this level of football and what’s needed.

Sticking point comes if we do go up then it becomes difficult to axe him but can’t see him prospering higher up as he’s struggling with us now at this level.

Regarding the midfield, Dean needs to grow some balls and drop Butterfield for Pugh and when Flynn is fit drop Scales. If we had another fit midfielder I’d drop Clunan as well but we haven’t so he stays in by default.

Whitehall needs dropping as he looks like he can’t be bothered anymore.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Stockport were averaging higher attendances than us in their final season in the NLN.

BarnardFoxtonBarker..BarnardFoxtonBarker..
    Participant
    Registered On: June 28, 2017
    Topics: 0

A manager with experience at this level or the one below WG, That’s why Billy Jean was brought in wasn’t it and that’s not really working is it.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

If Dean has requested an extension he needs to demonstrate he isn’t one dimensional and knows what he’s doing because at the minute he isn’t doing a great job and has no clue how to change things. Not a great advert for a contract extension. He’s Hilton’s man so maybe we need somebody with league experience and previous ties to the club……

The only extension I’d give him would be some platinum blonde hair extensions.

cokeovenkidcokeovenkid
    Participant
    Registered On: January 13, 2014
    Topics: 1

Again, how much experience of managing in this league did Tamworth’s manager have at the start of this season ?

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Again, how much experience of managing in this league did Tamworth’s manager have at the start of this season ?

Rarely works out that a manager with no experienced at the level goes on to win the league in his first season in it but reading about him you can begin to understand why they’re doing as well as they are.

Vastly experienced player at that kind of level with over 200 games under his belt.
    Holds a UEFA B coaching license.
    First season in charge of Rushden and Diamonds he won a cup double.
    He has since led the team to the end of season playoffs twice before winning promotion to Step 3 at the end of the 2017-18 season.

I think it’s fair to say their manager understands this level and football in general better than Dean.

cokeovenkidcokeovenkid
    Participant
    Registered On: January 13, 2014
    Topics: 1

We were sold a puppy

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

I’ve got a feeling we will win tonight, comfortably as well.

I’m going SS 1 vs 4 Scunny

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Do you have any spare?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.