So. Either DH Has Put Loadsa Money Into The Iron or He Has Not.

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace So. Either DH Has Put Loadsa Money Into The Iron or He Has Not.

• Author
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

“If only we’d had an interested bystander with a personal grudge against Peter Swann pitch up a couple of years ago.”

We did! He was called Alcazar.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

The HMRC thing isn’t a big issue they accept anything over a period of time .

Aslong as they get their money , that’s from a small /medium size business as I had .

The problem is Hilton has gone daft on the playing budget and then said he won’t pay people – you can’t just not pay people ,

I don’t get how some fans support that

Changing the Topic Rich…

Hurst in or out?

RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 6

Hurst in mate – offers stability and no chance of relegation , whilst spending money like it’s his own .

Never the most exciting brand of football though so will always have his doubters when it’s not gaining results.

We have had a pretty good start though , because we have played most of the big hitters in the first 8 – the next 10 games will shape our season imo as we play all of the current bottom 6 .

Suprised Donny are doing so badly , thought they would be up there.

On a side not Mcatee is doing really well at Barnsley in league 1 so far a few assists and goals – interested to see how his career goes .

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

Richgy, what would we give now for stability in league 2, it seems an impossible distance away.
    I’ve just been reading the Scunthorpe thread on The Fishy (I did skip the middle 200 pages !), I have to say that barring the few understandable “feck ‘em” views it is a very balanced debate on what has actually been happening here, and Hilton has been suspect to all on there from the start. The whole sorry saga has been summed up perfectly by Mappers. The general consensus on there seems to be we are finished, I just hope that turns out to be wrong.

CMCCMC
    Participant

He was a disaster here Rich. With Cox and Hill you could understand as their budget was Zero but Hurst spent Transfer fees(on Eisa and Gillead who were so-so)and he had Van Veen/Colclough who he kept on the bench.

The only Scunny manager i’ve celebrated being sacked, i couldn’t watch his players being bullied by Colchester and Newport every week.

RichgyRichgy
    Participant

He was partly responsible for us going down as he had half a season to turn it around , and then we had a dreadful spell in our promotion season , if the board were going to pull the trigger it would have been then .

It seems he did badly with you guys , and his spell at Ipswich was a disaster by all accounts ; countered by a good tenure with us & Shrewsbury .

I think he’s just a solid lower league manager , in the main.

Eisa has been very good so far but it’s only 8 games and he played single figures in 2 years at Bradford due to injury – so we will have to see how many games he manages .

I have read bits on the fishy , I think most realise the situation and want the club to survive (like I do ) but are gobsmacked at the backing Hilton is receiving from some.

RichgyRichgy
    Participant

Somebody did make a good point on that Fishy thread actually that I had not really thought of – how many people actually do back Hilton ?

We only know a good few on Facebook , but the wider consensus is unknwown really , we know people had/have major doubts on here but a fair amount of people either don’t do social media or just care about what’s going on,on the pitch so for people to say the fans deserve what they are getting or the like is unfair really .

CMCCMC
    Participant

It’s split into several groups.
    You have the ones who will back the owner no matter what.
    Then the “Anyone but Swann” Types, Max Bell being the most well known.
    Then the ones who aren’t sure and concerned… that goes for a few Bru posters including myself.
    Then those who don’t trust him at all… can give a number of names.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

I believe a lot of football fans adopt a head in the sand position, not the ones who dispute everything about DH being pants but the general week in week out fan who just wants to watch their team and ignore everything else. Ultimately quite a lot I spoke to have used the term ” well we can’t really decide who owns the club can we “, which is a fair point, we can protest, complain, discuss, disagree or agree on here as much as we want but whatever is gonna happen is gonna happen. When Swann finally left he was pushed along at the end by the fans protest on the pitch which was admirable by the fans but ultimately he was leaving anyway and it just gave us,it appears, a little more breathing space to continue and now, we are here and there isn’t much we can do physically to change that, unfortunately.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Somebody did make a good point on that Fishy thread actually that I had not really thought of – how many people actually do back Hilton ?

We only know a good few on Facebook , but the wider consensus is unknwown really , we know people had/have major doubts on here but a fair amount of people either don’t do social media or just care about what’s going on,on the pitch so for people to say the fans deserve what they are getting or the like is unfair really .

Probably a few more than used to back Fenty. But as Grimsby fans found out there’s next to bugger all fans can do about it.

Participant

We are hostage to Hilton now, until he sells or the club goes out of existence.
    My principles tell me not to go anymore as he is deliberately not paying people who are owed whilst paying for a team, which on paper, should walk the league. I don’t want to go and cheer that team, but if I don’t, and if lots other people don’t then the money dries up even faster.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

The HMRC thing isn’t a big issue they accept anything over a period of time .

Aslong as they get their money , that’s from a small /medium size business as I had .

The problem is Hilton has gone daft on the playing budget and then said he won’t pay people – you can’t just not pay people ,

I don’t get how some fans support that

Horse & Cart
    You don’t need a Shergar / Frankel to pull a gharry.
    Any old horse will do.
    No cart… no need for a horse.
    Pay all debts first.
    Run a smaller, less costly squad.
    But, ensure that the club survives and that there is somewhere for our John Doe footballers to play.
    Not paying creditors & debts but loading up with ‘over qualified’ players on higher salaries than needed for Level Six is suicide.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

We are hostage to Hilton now, until he sells or the club goes out of existence.
    My principles tell me not to go anymore as he is deliberately not paying people who are owed whilst paying for a team, which on paper, should walk the league. I don’t want to go and cheer that team, but if I don’t, and if lots other people don’t then the money dries up even faster.

Chicken & Egg?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Stick to your principles TJO the admission fee you pay will hardly make a difference it really won’t.

RichgyRichgy
    Participant

There were many with Fenty as there are with Hilton effectively saying he saved the club and were happy with their lot .

He left the club in a much healthier state than Swann has Scunthorpe , whichever way you look at it – he did not strip it of it’s one major asset (we will put the state of disrepair it was left in to one side ).

But he did effectively rip the trust off of 500k with the threat of stopping funding the club (sound familiar ) . And then tried to bring a convicted fraudster onto the board (deja vu ) with a promise of a million pound investment . Which a local journalist picked up on and then the domino effect which led to our eventual takeover.

Any of our fans who take any sort of satisfaction out of your current scenario , should remember we were days ,and literally one step away from more than likely being in exactly the same position you find yourselfs in now .

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Have you seen that a Trust that had £500,000 to be ripped off bloody hell how much did they have at the time Richgy.

RivermanRiverman
    Participant
    Registered On: January 22, 2023
    Topics: 0

The ‘one step away’ was prevented by a journalist discovering the history of that convicted fraudster before he could get into the club, unfortunately for Scunny David Hilton had done a deal with Swann before anyone could question it although i don’t think it would have made any difference at the time as the general feeling was ‘anyone is better than Swann.

Interested BystanderInterested Bystander
    Participant
    Registered On: April 9, 2023
    Topics: 15

Especially as we had such a fine credit rating and a happy band of suppliers back in January when we had never heard of David Hilton.

Oh hang on a minute – didn’t we have a raft of unpaid suppliers and an imminent winding up order from HMRC. Oh and were we not already under a transfer embargo from the National League. Not to mention Sharp and Elliot having to pay December’s wage bill. Were we not also bottom of the league and hadn’t owned our ground for 2 years.

Hilton has certainly not solved all off the clubs problems and probably hasn’t got enough spare loose change in his pocket to do so. But neither did he create them. If only we’d had an interested bystander with a personal grudge against Peter Swann pitch up a couple of years ago.

Assuming that you’re not the type of person to rush into a debate without having the facts to hand, can you confirm for the good contributors of this forum:

1) With the exception of this latest batch of CCJs which have been registered against Scunthorpe United Football Club Ltd, how many CCJs have been registered against the company in the past 6 years?

2) What is the current credit rating for Scunthorpe United Football Club Ltd and what was it prior to this batch of CCJs being registered?

As for WUPs, it’s currently 1-1. However, Hilton’s already indicated that HMRC are in the process of applying for one, so for the hard of thinking, that will make two.

Participant

Awaywego, I believe the Scunthorpe United Trust has around £800,000.
    I could be wrong, I ain’t no businessman, but that’s how I read their accounts on Companies House.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Especially as we had such a fine credit rating and a happy band of suppliers back in January when we had never heard of David Hilton.

Oh hang on a minute – didn’t we have a raft of unpaid suppliers and an imminent winding up order from HMRC. Oh and were we not already under a transfer embargo from the National League. Not to mention Sharp and Elliot having to pay December’s wage bill. Were we not also bottom of the league and hadn’t owned our ground for 2 years.

Hilton has certainly not solved all off the clubs problems and probably hasn’t got enough spare loose change in his pocket to do so. But neither did he create them. If only we’d had an interested bystander with a personal grudge against Peter Swann pitch up a couple of years ago.

Assuming that you’re not the type of person to rush into a debate without having the facts to hand, can you confirm for the good contributors of this forum:

1) With the exception of this latest batch of CCJs which have been registered against Scunthorpe United Football Club Ltd, how many CCJs have been registered against the company in the past 6 years?

2) What is the current credit rating for Scunthorpe United Football Club Ltd and what was it prior to this batch of CCJs being registered?

As for WUPs, it’s currently 1-1. However, Hilton’s already indicated that HMRC are in the process of applying for one, so for the hard of thinking, that will make two.

1. Nowhere did I suggest Swann had not paid bills for 6 years or indeed mention any period. It is difficult to be sure when Swann stopped funding the club as he stopped communicating with fans long before that happened but according to people close to the club at that time it was sometime from the start of last season but not later than December last year when he refused to cover the wage bill and tax bill. Those running the club on his behalf at that time confirmed this and also that SUFC did not have the funds to cover these outgoings. It is possible that this was just a ploy to convince potential buyers to pay his seemingly inflated valuation for the club. I don’t believe Swann commented publicly at that time so who knows? He must have convinced the Sharp/Elliott consortium at that time that he was prepared to let the club fold hence them stepping in to pay the December wage bill with a substantial gift/loan. The HMRC debt subsequently led to a winding up order that was cleared by Hilton. So that is one winding up order that evidence suggests Swann was not going to pay and one month’s wages that he was not going to pay. Either of these would have likely led to the closure of the club and resulted in sanctions from the National League. Indeed we were under a signing and new contract embargo so we’re unable to offer our leading scorer a contract to cover the remainder of the season. So outstanding debts at that time were well in excess of £300k. Hence my point regarding credit worthiness when Hilton arrived on the scene.
    2. I am not aware of the clubs credit rating either in mid January or now and have no desire to find out. Personally I would not have supplied goods or services with credit terms to the club either in January or now. Compared to the overall debt Hilton inherited and the likely overall level of debt now then the value of the CCJ’s is relatively small beer. Not that I don’t have every sympathy with those owed money and am not supportive of any business unwilling to pay it’s debts.

Regarding the winding up petitions this is a football club that many people care deeply about not some childish game of who has the most CCJ’s or WUP’s.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

If the trust have £800,000 TJO that should be enough for a down payment for the ground my £1000 would soon follow.

Participant

Don’t hold your breath, I doubt that money is touchable for such things….

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

Hmm. The board seem to have a degree of confidence.
    https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2023/september/joint-statement-from-the-board-of-directors-at-scunthorpe-united-football-club/

Two points Les
    1- You wouldn’t expect the board not to show a degree of confidence in DH, he is still the owner and is still, hopefully, going to be paying the necessary bills ( HMRC ) to keep us going
    2- Their points about the club needing to be more sustainably run is old news, we still have to wait and see what they actually intend to do.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

A welcome statement from the Board – look forward to hearing more about those plans.

SouthYorksIronSouthYorksIron
    Participant
    Registered On: May 26, 2017
    Topics: 2

If the trust have £800,000 TJO that should be enough for a down payment for the ground my £1000 would soon follow.

Just to clarify, Scunthorpe United FC Community Sports and Education Trust, which has £897000 funds carried forward in its most recent accounts, is not The Iron Trust.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Thought it sounded like a lot. Glad you cleared that up

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Must admit the cods trust raised an impressive amount, they as fans have always helped the club they funded the building of the pontoon stand , £100,000 for players in 2015, £100,000 in 2020 to help during covid and £15,000 for tickets to help people who couldn’t afford the inflated prices for the playoff final. And we have done?

Participant

Sorry Awaywego, if there’s a stick to be picked up you can be sure I’ll choose the wrong end.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Lol.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.