Simon Elliott

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Simon Elliott

• Author
    Interested BystanderInterested Bystander
    Participant
    Registered On: April 9, 2023
    Topics: 15

Simon,

For a man who has tangible and considerable net assets (see what I did there) to his name your naivety is concerning but it comes as no surprise to me.

When all this has played out, you will still want to attend games and I hope you can hold your head up high, both now and in the future.

There are no prizes for being a cheerleader and if you have that much confidence in Hilton and his ability, there’s no better time to put your money where your mouth is.

Now might be a good time to take a break from social media or at least start taking some water with it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 67

Do you have a link IB?
    I don’t do Twitter or FB.

sufc.not.on.toursufc_not_on_tour
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 28

Simon Elliott, Scunthorpe United’s very own lickspittle.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96
    CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Are verbal insults really necessary?

Only in Iron-awe’s posts.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

IB is famous for his link posting, I’m sure one will be forthcoming so those of us not on twatter can read what he’s inferring.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Only in Iron-awe’s posts.

Nice to see you still have a sense of humour CMC, well done you.

RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 6

No there are not , Simon Elliott obviously bleeds the colours of your club and is a good guy ,worried and hurting .

Due to that whatever the outcome he has been caught in the crossfire of what is going on because he wants answers and he cares – whether he knows the whole truth himself is something we all will have to wait for .

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

No, they are not Les, but it works both ways. The amount of insults hurled at anyone critical of Hilton on here and other platforms over the last few months has been ridiculous. So too the whole burner account issue on Twitter that continues. Insulting Simon is not wanted, and neither is the aforementioned.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

IB I think you should change your username to “Obsessive Bystander”.

Some of your contributions are getting ridiculous!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

very unfair criticism of one of the people who have tried the hardest to save the club, David Hilton wants to do it alone what I gather from Simon and Raj but seems to keep them in the loop with what is going on

Bartoniron66Bartoniron66
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 56

Understand the the supporters fears and rightly so, But I can’t believe the amount of backstabbing and pure vitriol Hilton and Simon are getting! It appears Only Scunny fans can abuse the man who saved our club.

Simon only wants the club to thrive again and is trying to link the club with its supporters, so those who are writing all these posts and slagging off the two of them please just remember where we was three months ago and give them a chance.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Agree BartonIron66. There should be no slagging off / insult trading and abuse of those supportive of Hilton and Elliott. There should also be space for questioning Hilton and Elliott without being insulted and abused too. That’s fair isn’t it?

Bartoniron66Bartoniron66
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 56

Hilton excepts he made mistakes! And yes people have the right to question him (rightly so after Swann) but do they need to be so abusive in doing so, we have a club and all need to pull together to get rid of the poison that’s is eating away at the club.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Simon,
    For a man who has tangible and considerable net assets (see what I did there)

Yes, I see what you did! You changed from trying to discredit our new owner to trying to discredit a widely respected supporter. Who’s next?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Hilton excepts he made mistakes! And yes people have the right to question him (rightly so after Swann) but do they need to be so abusive in doing so, we have a club and all need to pull together to get rid of the poison that’s is eating away at the club.

I’m not being funny but this doesn’t paint an accurate picture of what’s been happening on Twitter and Facebook, and certainly not on here. The majority of posts critical of Hilton and questioning, by far, have not been abusive. Abuse and insult trading has happened between supporters more often, and has usually initiated from those not happy with the critics, questioning and concerns. Sorry if you don’t agree with that, I’m only commenting on what I see out there. There’s a real danger of fans with concerns being closed down / out with this and that’s not wise.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

In an ideal world we would pull together but this stadium and land situation was always bound to spilt opinion and it is beyond our control and influence. We’ll just have to wait see how it develops or unravels, preferably without insulting and abusing each other.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 6

I honestly think anyone who buys a club now , who is not a fan is going to get there motives questioned and rightly so – in the wider scheme of things putting whether Hilton is good ,bad or indifferent aside the amount of clubs being ‘shafted’ by people who are not ‘one of their own’ seems to be growing and growing look at Yeovil ,Southend , Wigan and Morecambe to name a few recently .

Even though we are talking about The Iron here it’s a problem in football on the whole – more transparency and fan involvement is key at any club for me .

4 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I agree, Deerey. I am no fan of the “carry on clapping” or snide remarks about Elliott or whoever. I see BadApple is making comments about Elliott just wanting to worm his way in with the owner at the time. However, a lot of the fuss comes when someone raises a concern or question and gets derided and insulted. There will always be division if those wanting to back Hilton more strongly resort to this when dealing with critics.

I am not going to cast negative assertions on those wanting to back Hilton and hope for the best. In return I expect to not be slammed and judged for raising a question about Hilton. Ultimately, most want to succeed and if the ground issues are sorted in Hilton’s favour and all other concerns amount to nothing, then great. However, I am not willing to turn off critical faculties and refrain from questioning where I see fit, because it makes life easier. That would just be kicking the can down the road and ignoring a potentially damaging situation to make short term happiness when long term problems may prevail.

For fan unity, I think all need to realise that those backing Hilton and those with questions want the club to succeed, so we all need to reflect on how we interact with other fans. Not just Hilton critics, because Hilton backers too, since some of them seem to instigate the tension. This club matters way more than Hilton’s ego. We should be prepared to stand for it, no matter who is at fault for the ground situation. Interested Bystander is right when he talks of means of doing something for the club with engagement across fans. This can work with the owner when needs be, but if something goes wrong there can be a stand, especially if media contacts are made and the situation can be brought to light. It might not do anything, but trying something is more likely to succeed than pity.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘Even though we are talking about The Iron here it’s a problem in football on the whole – more transparency and fan involvement is key at any club for me’

Couldn’t agree more. A supporter yesterday on Twitter asking why there is only Hilton on the Board still, got pounced on for supposedly not giving him a chance to form one. Some said ‘let him get on with sorting the mess out on his own for a bit’, others said ‘he’s only just arrived!. There’s always going to be concerns and wariness with a sole Board member, and rightly so.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Just a bit of perspective on the Elliott furore on Twitter. A number of those defending him by abusing his critics are also cosying up to and humouring a supporter that’s banned from GP. Well done people 🙄👏👏👏

Participant

Simon,
    For a man who has tangible and considerable net assets (see what I did there)

Yes, I see what you did! You changed from trying to discredit our new owner to trying to discredit a widely respected supporter. Who’s next?

My opening remark which you have kindly quoted was me doffing my hat to Simon. In a World populated with fantasists and bull hitters, it’s nice to see someone who has had a traceable career and has significant net assets to prove it. Quite the contrast.

As for those defending Simon because of what he’s done for the club, I have no problems with that but you are basing your opinion of him on how he has dealt with historical matters so please don’t have the audacity to tell me that history doesn’t matter when I express my concerns regarding Hilton. The sheer hypocrisy is staggering.

Participant

I agree, Deerey. I am no fan of the “carry on clapping” or snide remarks about Elliott or whoever. I see BadApple is making comments about Elliott just wanting to worm his way in with the owner at the time. However, a lot of the fuss comes when someone raises a concern or question and gets derided and insulted. There will always be division if those wanting to back Hilton more strongly resort to this when dealing with critics.

I am not going to cast negative assertions on those wanting to back Hilton and hope for the best. In return I expect to not be slammed and judged for raising a question about Hilton. Ultimately, most want to succeed and if the ground issues are sorted in Hilton’s favour and all other concerns amount to nothing, then great. However, I am not willing to turn off critical faculties and refrain from questioning where I see fit, because it makes life easier. That would just be kicking the can down the road and ignoring a potentially damaging situation to make short term happiness when long term problems may prevail.

For fan unity, I think all need to realise that those backing Hilton and those with questions want the club to succeed, so we all need to reflect on how we interact with other fans. Not just Hilton critics, because Hilton backers too, since some of them seem to instigate the tension. This club matters way more than Hilton’s ego. We should be prepared to stand for it, no matter who is at fault for the ground situation. Interested Bystander is right when he talks of means of doing something for the club with engagement across fans. This can work with the owner when needs be, but if something goes wrong there can be a stand, especially if media contacts are made and the situation can be brought to light. It might not do anything, but trying something is more likely to succeed than pity.

Well said.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

…and Simon said what exactly on twatter IB to be accused of naivety by you, no link yet?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Don’t see what all the fuss is about abusing Simon, after all he and his mate sold us a lemon. What makes him special and any different to Swann or Hilton?

Participant

How did he sell you a lemon

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Him and his mate said they’d bought the club Mick. No different to Swanns or Hiltons announcements, the only thing being Swann actually did buy the club.

Participant

I don’t know about them saying they had actually bought the club, because the information I was told was Swann didn’t want to sell it to them because they didn’t want to buy the land, I know they raised everybody’s hopes up, but it sadly wasn’t going to happen, Simon and Raj said Peter was hard work to deal with.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Looks like they came across the same issues Hilton is dealing with and decided the valuation was way off the mark. Everyone but Swann must be wrong of course.

Remember they were being called cheap skates at the time aswell.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Awaywego .. ‘he and his mate’ incurred considerable costs as far as I’m aware. I don’t think they ‘sold’ anything. Exactly what motivation do you think that ‘he and his mate’ might have had? It’s fair enough to express genuine concern in a time of massive uncertainty … but unwarranted insinuations ain’t helping the club or anyone else.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.