Sharpe and Co Bid

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Sharpe and Co Bid

• Author
    BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

But hey he’s not left yet and we can’t get rid of him!!!!!!! Perhaps he’ll be here forever because his promises never happen. Oh my goodness what a nightmare!!!!!

Ex OfficioEx Officio
    Participant
    Registered On: December 28, 2013
    Topics: 3

He did say our Club would be in a better position when he left than when he took over and also that he would give the stadium back at some point to our Club.

Aye – and Neville Chamberlain said ‘peace for our time’ – and he had a signed piece of paper to prove it!!

BucksironBucksiron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 16

Not sure if this has been raised already, so apologies if it has and I’ve missed it. There is one way to get rid of Swann, which would be drastic but at least enable things to move on.

Start afresh with a new club.

There are plenty of downsides, of course, not least that this would result in administration for SUFC Ltd, but given how bad things are at the moment there’s no guarantee it won’t happen anyway. The accounts for SUFC Ltd and Coolsilk make grim reading, with a lot of red ink and if Swann won’t sell for a realistic price then leave him with the problem. Of course, administration would cost jobs but, again, that’s probably going to happen in any event given how bad things have become.

If a consortium were to put in, say, £1.25m and if crowd-funding were to raise £500,000, both of which are feasible, then a new club could be started. The huge benefit of this would be an enormous amount of goodwill and a decent income from what is a very loyal fan-base. Ground-sharing could be used — Gainsborough would have an ironic attraction to it, if they’re amenable — in the short to medium-term.

Clubs such as AFC Wimbledon have proved this can be done; and, who knows, “AFC Scunthorpe”, “Scunthorpe Town” or even “Scunthorpe United 2023” might even find themselves playing ‘at home’ should a certain football ground eventually become available at a knock-down price.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 70

He did say our Club would be in a better position when he left than when he took over and also that he would give the stadium back at some point to our Club.

And the difference was Chamberlain believed he was told the truth whereas Mr Swann convinced fans he was telling the truth !

Aye – and Neville Chamberlain said ‘peace for our time’ – and he had a signed piece of paper to prove it!!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Topics: 101

Question is where would we have to restart and what sort of crowds could we attract at that level? Chances are that it would be North East Counties Div 1, which is level 10 – so it would take 5 years, minimum, to get back to our current position. A big risk.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

I’m not of too dissimilar a position Bucks but believe it can be done with Elliot and co with the current club.

Hopefully Elliot is contacting Gainsborough etc and can come to some agreement that won’t hinder the club financially going forward. I’d take a few years in the wilderness with the current club with the view of returning to Scunthorpe if either:

A) Swann was forced to sell Glanford park at a price we could afford

B) we worked with the council and attained land for a new ground. Could end similar up with a basic set up Darlington.

The relegation to NLN could work in our favour in that we are dropping to what is effectively a part time league where costs can be scaled back and the local consortiums money can stretch further.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Yep desperate times sometimes call for doing something with a risk but us better then holding on to the current trouble. Think there is some merit in what Buck’s is saying and it’s worthy of debate.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

“For the sake of a nail….!”

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

The local consortium are out, well done Peter you absolutely *!#¥

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Source please.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Seen it now on sunny utd fans Facebook, thanks for nothing hope you enjoyed your moment in the limelight. I do hope their picture is soon removed from that Facebook site.

IronfanIronfan
    Participant
    Topics: 2

On the contrary. I think they’ve done everything they could, however, Swann was never going to sell to them

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

It’s all about the money they never had enough, as of yet.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Gutted. We are now stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Why are people thanking them?

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Statement on Simon Elliot’s twitter.

BucksironBucksiron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 16

Well, going back to my earlier post about starting afresh with a new club, it’s clear from the latest available balance sheet that SUFC Ltd is now worth less than nothing. Having supported Swann in the past I cannot forgive the man. He’s taken enough already in lieu of the appalling mess he’s made and I don’t want him to get a penny more from the club. Anyone buying it from him would struggle to make ends meet given the problems he’s created and it’s hard to see how the club could do anything other than decline, even under new owners.

A fresh start would bring much needed hope and positivity, even at the lowest level, while new owners would have funds to build a strong squad and climb back through the leagues.

It would be interesting to know what others think, of course, but I’d rather be supporting a club on the way up than one on the way down while having some satisfaction from Swann being left “holding the baby”.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Seems that a resolution may be reached fairly soon, one way or another:

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

Why are people thanking them?

Why don’t you understand why they are? Maybe ask yourself that if you’re so puzzled? Or they all wrong and you right? Rightyo!

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 80

Payday Tuesday 31st, will staff be paid I wonder?
    Again, I wonder when the HMRC deadline is?
    I wonder what the end fee will be from Begbies Traynor?
    It appears that the club as a business is no longer viable and is insolvent?
    It continues to accrue losses month on month.
    I’m guessing that if Mr Swann pays HMRC, other creditors and the monthly wages; then he’s able to continue to seek a buyer?
    Alternatively, I’m guessing he can liquidate or dissolve the company?
    Or, if HMRC aren’t paid, then they can force the issue?
    I hope this doesn’t drag on for too long. I’d rather die instantly (heart attack) than have a protracted drawn out & painful death over years.

RichgyRichgy
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2022
    Topics: 6

Off point a bit -but what happens with the money those lads put in for the wages last month ?
    Is it just a donation ?

If the club does go seems unfair on them to lose their cash when they were trying to save the club and are massive fans .

Havent posted for a while but been keeping up to date ,fear that Swanns regular threats in the podcasts that ‘the club goes ‘ were not even a bluff but might become reality .

Hardy sounds like another liability to so not sure whats best or options for your club now.

I originally just started listening to the podcasts as Swann came accross as a parody /comedy character like Fenty did .But obviously now things have gone too far .

Hope the iron are saved and in good hands ,i thought the local lads seemed like they would have been ideal so a shame that cant be done .

Deereyme66Deereyme66

If a Hardy consortium bid is accepted, I hope supporters applauding it will bother to find out exactly where the funds are coming from (I.e. is it real money or huge, interest crippling loans?). If it’s huge loans that don’t have a cat in hells chance of being paid off then I’d sooner the club started afresh and quit the slow death. But hey, we’ve no say in it have we.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 80

Loans come back and bite people on their 4rse.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

If a Hardy consortium bid is accepted, I hope supporters applauding it will bother to find out exactly where the funds are coming from (I.e. is it real money or huge, interest crippling loans?). If it’s huge loans that don’t have a cat in hells chance of being paid off then I’d sooner the club started afresh and quit the slow death. But hey, we’ve no say in it have we.

Many of them would then attack others, who were more sceptical, for not doing enough if things went sour under Hardy.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Agree with all your points Rich.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Yes thanks Ian and Simon for getting everyone’s hopes up on Dec 1st heading up to scunny that evening to finalize it,thanks for letting fans buy half season tickets on the back of what you allowed fans to believe when in reality you didn’t put a bid in till January, thank you, thank you thank you. I do hope they are going to do the decent thing and pay the wages till a serious buyer comes in, if you love the club that much I think you owe the fans that much. Certainly a much cheaper option for you than buying.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Anyone but your mate Swann ,the Guy running the show,seems to come in for flak from you,
    Sorry “Swanny”

Deereyme66Deereyme66

The ‘decent thing’ awaywego would be to understand why the vast majority wanted them to buy the club and now their last bid has been rejected again, to just show some respect for the amount of time effort and money they invested. But no, everyone else has got it wrong haven’t they.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

I wanted them to buy the club and would be over the moon if they had, but you know I always believed they hadn’t got the dosh.

TwoWrightsTwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 4

I wanted them to buy the club and would be over the moon if they had, but you know I always believed they hadn’t got the dosh.

Strange people, stump up a high five figure sum for last months wages knowing they didn’t have enough cash leftover to complete a purchase, or…

4 users thanked author for this post.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.