Sharpe and Co Bid

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Sharpe and Co Bid

• Author
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

1.25 mill for the club and the ground, not including the car park and training ground. Swann wants 3.5 for the lot. They have absolutely no chance on this planet earth they’re going to buy us offering that.

Hardy did take a swipe at Elliot the other other day on twitter, regarding the “People don’t go shopping at Asda and offer half once they get to the checkout”.

That bid is worse than I though, it’s not even half. If we’re hanging are hat on Sharpe, Elliot and Co, we’re fooked.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Seen that myself, supposedly from vice president Keith Waters. Cheapskate’s plus they will probably want Turnbull to stay on.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

As you say, £3.5m was for the lot.

The club is up for £1 so is £1.5m for just the ground realistic?

Shit House JoeSgt Booba
    Participant
    Registered On: December 29, 2013
    Topics: 0

I tend to agree with you WG, but on the same score we have no chance of being sold to anyone for 3.5m when the club is also at least 2m in debt. Save for one of us winning the lottery what idiot is going to pay that?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

Hardy did take a swipe at Elliot the other other day on twitter, regarding the “People don’t go shopping at Asda and offer half once they get to the checkout”.

Which is a completely false analogy because when you go to Asda they’re not desperate to sell and haven’t spent months telling you how there’s no more money to fund the shop.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

All depends on the valuation of the stadium as separate entity.

Remember aswell: there’s is a mortgage on the stadium, an unpaid tax bill which will increase significantly this month, more wages that will need funding straight away (which they have already paid last month’s so nice one on the cheapskate dig Awayswego) , and god knows what else we don’t know about.

Hardy has gave it rock all on Twitter, but his reputation is mud. Another Swann By everything Notts county fans are saying.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

Heard a couple of rumours about positive news on the takeover this week. I have absolutely no idea how reliable those rumours are however. I’m not building my hopes up. not after the last setback, but who knows?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

When they 1st started out sure they knew there wasn’t a Ferrari under the bonnet, my expectations over the last year would be a Lada. 3.5 million is a bargain for the land and ground. What do you think they were expecting a profitable business or a loss making one Cliff, at this moment in time nearly anyone will do I’d even except an Arab bid.

Participant

If it’s a bargain which you and wondergoals keep stating then why are we all worrying? We’ll be bought in no time.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Bit pedantic there Cliff, you well know the ground is worth that and more if you were to build another one of the same size. And don’t forget all bargains aren’t always snapped up. There still trying to offload houses for a pound in Liverpool and the scheme started in 2014, you’d have thought they’d have been bought in no time. Ah well.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

The focus seems to be on the “bargain” £3.5m for the lot. What if the ‘lot’ includes responsibility for the HMRC debt, the outstanding EFL loan and liability for a couple of months wages (previous Sharpe loan becomes non-repayable maybe?)
    Would it look such a bargain then?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

The focus seems to be on the “bargain” £3.5m for the lot. What if the ‘lot’ includes responsibility for the HMRC debt, the outstanding EFL loan and liability for a couple of months wages (previous Sharpe loan becomes non-repayable maybe?)
    Would it look such a bargain then?

Tried labouring the point but don’t seem to be getting anywhere.

Additionally factor in that any planning that Swann thinks is of value is now diminished by falling house prices, rising material costs and 10% inflation too.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

‘Peter never told us how much he would sell for. It made it hard to reach an agreement’.

Oh, okay, I thought there was a ‘set price’ that was all over Twitter, gents? I was ridiculed for even questioning if there was one and if the local consortium were getting any decent feedback about their bid. Just saying.

DesertironDesertiron
    Participant
    Registered On: September 3, 2022

I don’t think Alan Hardy should be taking a swipe at anybody on Twitter. Didn’t he post a very embarrassing picture whilst Chairman of Notts County on there? I remember that and the Notts County fans couldn’t wait for him to go. Smurthwaite was a disaster at Port Vale too. Nothing looking great at the moment. Even the Sharpe and Co bid it does make you wonder how they will fund the club if they seem to be lacking money already. We need a fan to win the lottery it looks like.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Disclaimer: I am not a successful property developer – one of the few things I would seem to have in common with Mr Swann.

There are 2 or 3 regular posters on here who seem that £3.5m for the land to build the potential development of 160 Apartments at the ground is a bargain so I thought that with the aid of Google and the back of a fag packet I would check this out.

First I searched for 2 bed apartments in Scunthorpe using RightMove and Zoopla. It seems that the going rate for a 2 bed flat in a decent area in Scunthorpe is anything from £80k to £100k. The plans for the development give no clue to the size and make up of the flats so I am assuming 2 bed units. Ignoring the fact that flats overlooking a car park and hemmed in by a railway line, an unattractive tin shed of a non league football ground and an empty Debenhams I decided to use the upper figure to estimate the sales value of £100k per unit. Total sales price £16m. Lets say £2m for marketing and legal costs for the sales. Gives us £14m

Next I searched for average size of a 2 bed flats/apartments in the UK. There are a multitude of sites giving views on this with a wide range of suggestions but the average (not scientifically proven) seems to be about 70 sq metres. I figure if you want to achieve top end prices the flats need to be at least average size.

Next I searched build costs for blocks of flats. Again lots of sites to choose from with variation in costings. I chose Checkatrade as their data was the most recent I could find (March 2022) and I know building costs have risen sharply over the last year or two. They quote a build cost of between £1800 and £3000 per sq metre with an average cost of £2400 per sq metre.
    They do have a top tip for would be developers – Top tip: Remember to factor into your budget the cost for finishing, architect and contractor fees – not to mention landscaping and many of the soft costs like interior design, decoration and furnishings.

For the sake of simplicity (running out of space on my fag packet) lets ignore that stuff and just go with the lowest quoted build cost:
    160 apartments x 70 sq metres = 11,200 sq metres of building @ £1800 per metre

Basic build cost £20,160,000

So basically building the flats on the cheap and selling them at peak Scunthorpe prices will only lose you £6m

It was a riduculous plan in the first place and if the potential new owners were falling for it then they would not be the people I would want running my football club. Stay well away Simon and Ian. £3.5m is an awful lot to pay for a car park that is used once a week at £4 a shot and a training pitch that is used for 2 hours a day.

It also probably explains why no-one (apart from the council) has ever built blocks of flats of a significant size in Scunthorpe. The model only works in places where you can sell apartments for £200k plus.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

You’re wasted on here.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Whatever people say about the 3.5mill Swann wants, the fact is he wants that amount and that’s that. Whether people think the 3.5mill is fair or not doesn’t matter, he wants what he wants for it.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Cass it was 3.5 million for the land and the ground not the lot as you put it, Swanny also wanted 1 pound for the club, and MK I have never said ever that 3.5 million was a bargain for land for development, is not me that’s been telling everyone that the land is only worth 900.000 pounds with a tin pot ground on top of the land it’s all the other numptys that have been promoting that Swanny wants just to sell to a property developer certainly not me, I find it quite ironic that it doesn’t seem to be the land that’s the stumbling block but the 1pound club and all the debt and issues it brings with it.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 80

I’m starting to lose the will to live.
    The intricacies and complexity as to what may or may not happen in the next 2 weeks is ‘doing my head in’
    😵‍💫

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

I didn’t say who was saying Simon and Ian should just pay the £3.5m but if the cap fits?

The land might have been worth £18m 10 years ago (we only have Mr Swann’s word on that) but it’s worthless now nobody is creating new retail space.

The pandemic has left the country awash with ready built office space in much more salubrius locations. My fag packet exercise shows residential development is not going to make any money.

Yes there is a football ground that is just about good enough for lower league football on the land but it is of no use to anyone other than Scunthorpe United. You can’t move the ground out or an alternative professional football team in.

So what is for sale here? A soon to be tier 6 football club with no saleable assets and (rough estimate) at least a million pounds of debt.

If the reported offer is £1.5m then I think Simon and Ian are being generous to the point of recklessness. Probably gone that high only because of their passion for the club.

2 likely outcomes. A sale to Simon and Ian once the owner comes to terms with another failed gamble. Or administration and someone buys the remnants of our once proud football club.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

That was a classic get out there MK, own it instead of the bullshit. Ps, where did the 18million come from.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Not aware I needed to get out of anything but please enlighten me as to what it is.

Many years ago when people had no reason to doubt what the owner was telling us he was going to build a brand new £18m stadium down the road totally funded by the sale of Glanford Park and associated land to retail developers.

Surprised you don’t recall it.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Apologies to Alcazar and 64. They didn’t believe the owner even then.

I do miss Alcazar’s posts even though I disagreed with many of them.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

re asking price of 3.3 mil

Any pointers to just how good or bad this number is when looking at other recent smaller football club sales ? i know the circumstances are different but as a ball park guesseimate.

Havent the lower league clubs below been sold recently

Oldham
    Crawley

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 80

re asking price of 3.3 mil

Any pointers to just how good or bad this number is when looking at other recent smaller football club sales ? i know the circumstances are different but as a ball park guesseimate.

Havent the lower league clubs below been sold recently

Oldham
    Crawley

£12M – club, stadium & land.

https://www.theoldhamtimes.co.uk/sport/20586374.amp/

Shit House JoeSgt Booba
    Participant
    Registered On: December 29, 2013

Sure Grimsby was 2m. Obviously much less land there although there is a training pitch at another site included in that.

I think 1.25m is very reasonable, let’s not forget any new buyer will be taking on the 2m+ debt and most pertinently for me – he got the club and land for nowt and the only reason we are in this mess is his bad decision making.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

The club and land for nowt really!

open hearth ironopen hearth iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 7

Whatever people say about the 3.5mill Swann wants, the fact is he wants that amount and that’s that. Whether people think the 3.5mill is fair or not doesn’t matter, he wants what he wants for it.

open hearth ironopen hearth iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 7

He wanted a championship team and loads of other dreams wondergoals this doesn’t make them achievable neither is £3.5 million

BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

He did say our Club would be in a better position when he left than when he took over and also that he would give the stadium back at some point to our Club.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.