Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Season Ticket Sales

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2407

I see that season tickets are on sale for the next month at a beneficial price but who is going to buy one when the Football League statement on the website says:

“To give you an honest assessment of the current situation; the point at which you will be able to attend games again remains unclear”

I completely get why the club is keen for people to pay up front but how much of that 2020/21 season ticket are you going to be able to actually use? I would feel more comfortable paying for one if there was a statement on the website saying you would be refunded if games have to be played behind closed doors but I can’t see one.

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2020/april/help-your-club-during-these-times—sign-up-for-2020-21/

Also, at a time when people are short of cash, I think it’s a shame that there is no offer to pay in instalments. I’ve never understood why the club needs another company to offer this service, surely it should simply be a case of paying in, say, 4 instalments and getting the tickets you’ve paid for after each payment has gone through. Particularly at the moment, surely that would be a better solution for cash-strapped people than expecting them to find at least £288 up front?

alcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 171
    Replies: 4094

TBH, I’ve never fully understood season tickets.

Those who have them, somehow see themselves as better supporters than those who pay on the day, yet actually put far less into the club coffers. Then SOME of them have the front to whine when special discounts are offered to those who usually pay in full. Or when their tickets can’t be used.

Surely it would be better to abaondon season tickets, for the club/Swann/Rodders to take out a loan for whatever season tickets bring in, and then charge everyone full price. More profit?

Ferrite
    Participant

Surely it would be better to abaondon season tickets, for the club/Swann/Rodders to take out a loan for whatever season tickets bring in, and then charge everyone full price. More profit?

Depends on the interest rate on that loan, plus it’s surely better from the club’s point of view to get as much cash as possible up front? That way it’s like an insurance policy against gates falling if the club does badly. And if it does well, then it’s only upside for them?

I think buying a season ticket can be seen as a leap of faith, rather than the people who only come when times are good.

That said, I’ve long thought that the idea of charging more to people who want to pay on the day is flawed because these are the very people who are most likely to be put off by the price.

Laurence Quinn
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 12

Regarding the pay by instalments, they did have it over a 10 month system but the company offering it has shut down due to the virus situation,

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 772

Can imagine season ticket sales were poor even before the onset of virus. My decision (and I assume many others) will be based on what the management team looks like heading into the new season.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ferrite
    Participant

Regarding the pay by instalments, they did have it over a 10 month system but the company offering it has shut down due to the virus situation,

Why do they need another company to do it? Does that company charge interest? If it does, I’m glad to be rid of them.

Why can’t the club offer an installments option itself? Surely you’ve got to try to encourage people to spend their money, now more than ever?

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 642

There has to be charges or interest for the recovery of default of payments it as to be a financial institution for your and their protection, can you imagine how many would have walked away without paying halfway through season in the last few years.

Ferrite
    Participant

There has to be charges or interest for the recovery of default of payments it as to be a financial institution for your and their protection, can you imagine how many would have walked away without paying halfway through season in the last few years.

That’s easy to solve. Pay up front for the tickets you want and pick them up after each instalment.

Instalment 1 in July, you get tickets for games 1-5.
    Instalment 2 in September, tickets for games 6-10 are yours.

And so on.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 250
    Replies: 11008

charging more to people who want to pay on the day is flawed

How many turnstiles take cash these days?

In the past a ST was for convenience – no queuing for tickets, dedicated turnstiles for ST holders.

There has to be a carrot for commitment and the savings a ST provided was just that. However as many have said, who wants to commit to another season of tedium?

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8398

Buying a new season ticket is dodgy this season because you don’t know when it will start, and more importantly when spectators will be allowed in, will season ticket holders be allowed to watch the games online for no extra cost on lplayer, same if the remaining games are played behind closed doors.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 250
    Replies: 11008

Just what I was wondering Mick!

Awaywego
    Participant

you could have done that last year ferrite, but you wouldnt have got your reduction,the clue is in the name SEASON TICKET.

billpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Topics: 509
    Replies: 4040

…I’ve been a better supporter for over 40 years.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3009

You are bloody lucky Bill I have 68 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, since 1951.

Awaywego
    Participant

BS is somebody forcing you to go,next time your at the ticket office ask for angela.

mistertonmick
    Participant

bill who did you support before the Iron?

billpuntonsghost
    Participant

Started going to see the Iron about 1967 – went to the odd match in the previous years.First match I came remember is the 3-1 win at Blunder Park when David Sloan scored a hat-trick.
    Had a season ticket for a few seasons at Gainsborough Trinity when they had a fabulous team during the Monty Brown era- fond memories.
    During our dark times in the seventies I went to see Sheffield United a lot and the great Tony Currie and the fantastic Keith Eddy at centre half .
    Also I went to Hillsborough a lot to see Sheffield Wednesday with a young Kevin Taylor playing for them and Gary Megson ,John Pearson up front- top of league two as it was then-championship now.
    I saw the error of my ways and although having The Iron in my blood ,I came back in the second half of the seventies and enjoyed the ride ever since.
    Winning at Chester on the last day of the season was a top memory slightly later on.

2 users thanked author for this post.

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 1810

Fickle!😜

It’s our time.

mistertonmick
    Participant

Started going to see the Iron about 1967 – went to the odd match in the previous years.First match I came remember is the 3-1 win at Blunder Park when David Sloan scored a hat-trick.
    Had a season ticket for a few seasons at Gainsborough Trinity when they had a fabulous team during the Monty Brown era- fond memories.
    During our dark times in the seventies I went to see Sheffield United a lot and the great Tony Currie and the fantastic Keith Eddy at centre half .
    Also I went to Hillsborough a lot to see Sheffield Wednesday with a young Kevin Taylor playing for them and Gary Megson ,John Pearson up front- top of league two as it was then-championship now.
    I saw the error of my ways and although having The Iron in my blood ,I came back in the second half of the seventies and enjoyed the ride ever since.
    Winning at Chester on the last day of the season was a top memory slightly later on.

I used to go to watch Trinity when I was a schoolboy, even when I first started watching Scunny, Trinity were my main team, I also played local league football so it was 1983 when I started coming regular, also in the 60s I used to go to watch both Sheffield teams and Rotherham, Donny and Chesterfield, but at that time Scunny and Donny mainly played on a Friday, so I could often go to other games if I wasn’t playing myself Bill.

Ferrite
    Participant

you could have done that last year ferrite, but you wouldnt have got your reduction,the clue is in the name SEASON TICKET.

Well that’s how it used to work about 10 years ago, if you wanted to avoid paying up front!

Awaywego
    Participant

just for you BPG.” we aint got a barrel of money, but weve got woodward and currie, and with eddie colquhoun wheel be scoring soon, side by side.

billpuntonsghost
    Participant

How could I have forgotten to mention Alan Woodward!
    Thanks Awaywego.
    My favourite game I saw was at Hillsborough in August 1968,Man Utd were European champions and Sheff Wed beat them 5-4. Amazing game.

Iron Age
    Participant
    Topics: 2
    Replies: 5

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/grimsby-town-season-ticket-holders-4163602

Just saying.

Give us the choice, the reaction might be better than you think.

A discount off next season (half season)?

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 772

Pains me to say it, but that’s how it should be done.

A shrewd marketing move which will probably not cost the club more than a couple grand, if that.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.