Scunthorpe 2.0

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Scunthorpe 2.0

• Author
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

No denying that at one down the team looked like they abandoned any previous plans and system and flooded the Swiss half and individuals just played to their strengths (I.e Saka saving the day). May be better ditching Southgate’s instructions earlier? That said, if Kane actually moved his arse quicker he might and should have been on the end of multiple crosses before that. A Kane injury might be the best outcome before Wednesday night, allowing the more mobile Toney or Watkins to capitalise.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Indeed rainy season blues and a few beer Chang but not enough to change my stance on Southgate ..more so in fact im still in shock and buzzin that Abo Eisa is now residing in Nong Bua Lum Phu and gonna be playing for my local club

Regardless as to how the next 1 or 2 games pan out im sticking to my opinion that Southgate needs to go AFTER this tournament concludes .. way to negative and tactically suspect (subs and formation ??) with the extraordinary array of talent at his disposal.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Go where though IFA. Id imagine he’s impressed foreign Owners of clubs in England. Maybe he’ll go to the first premiership club who sacks their manager that’ll have fans quaking in the boots.
    More likely abroad though imo.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Overly cautious management has not been limited to England. France have been lucky to progress, despite a wealth of talent and Portugal were hindered by Martinez, I feel, in pandering to Ronaldo, despite him disjointing the team.

One thing I would say though is that this is the 3rd out of 4 semi-finals we have made in major tournaments. Some will say we have often had favourable teams in the earlier rounds through tournaments, but I think this does a disservice to the opposition. Switzerland are a good and well drilled side currently and we beat them, even if only on penalties. We did play better though. I wish Southgate would make substitutions earlier and we have rode our luck at times, but we have got here due to moments of class from the players, like Bellingham v Slovakia and Saka on Saturday. Let that be the death knell for the John Nicholsons who want to pretend that our players are rubbish, and not as good as Turkey or Georgia. Other countries, who have been stated to be better, haven’t been able to carve out those moments like our ‘overhyped’ players have.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Agreed that Southgate should move on …win or lose… as much for himself as for us. I share the view that he is overly cautious ..assuming the players are following instructions … but it’s infinitely better to see England in semis and finals than the dismal record I have endured since they won the World Cup on my 14th Birthday. Southgate should take some credit ..
    at least for building team spirit, resilience etc

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Not a bad half from overhyped players who always struggle against their underrated foreign counterparts and aren’t as good as Georgia.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Bit harsh on the Dutch Sidy.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Nice to see Foden played in his correct position and running the show, Walker been excellent playing high up the pitch with Saka, just hope we keep it going and when we need to change it Gareth subs in plenty of time.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Bit harsh on the Dutch Sidy.

I meant that last part with respect to England, sarcastically.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Great performance and a well deserved win, not before time mind.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Netherlands stifled the game second half which they had to TBF and they almost grabbed a goal a couple of times but fair play to Southgate, he got his subs absolutely spot on and Watkins goal with a Palmer assist was brilliant.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Fair play to Bellingham criticizing the ref at Dortmund never a penalty.

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

Against an unbeatable Spanish side.

https://www.11v11.com/matches/spain-v-england-15-october-2018-358721/

Just saying.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Beaten by the better team,
    Why wait till we concede to change it again should have being an halftime positive substitution a good manager would have. Thanks for nothing Southgate cos weve won nothing playing boring shite.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

England lost to a very good Spanish team tonight no disgrace in that, great strike from Palmer gave us hope but after an average first half from both teams Spain came out and deservedly won the second half after stepping things up. In truth we chased shadows for most of the game so no complaints from me but two Euros finals on the trot and no win is a bit hard to take.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Best team won .. played 7 won 7 in the harder side of the draw .. outplayed England today and deserved winners.

SOUTHGATE OUT ..

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Better team won ..but only just. Narrow margins and all that .. especially on their second goal. No complaints ..but it still hurts.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Say what you like about Southgate but when he goes he will leave the England set up in a much healthier position than Woy left it in and indeed I blame Capello and his negativity towards players that did a lot of the damage to the mindset within the England squads that followed until Southgate took over.

HeathHeath
    Participant
    Registered On: August 5, 2017
    Topics: 17

Not defending Southgate, but did any of the players bust a gut to win that match. Stones played well but what about the rest?

HeathHeath
    Participant

Had a rethink, must be the shock! The tactics were abysmal.

Let Spain have the ball for 3 minutes, then Pickford hoof ball to the 1 man up front, the immobile Kane, and let Spain have the ball back immediately.

Thought it would change after Palmer’s goal, but if anything, it got worse because they gave up marking their men.

Southgate has to resign!

RoamingBullRoamingBull
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 4

Spain showed all how the game should be played to aplomb.

Our midfield was terrible. Play to not lose is not the way to go against a dominant team.
    England had the easy street route to the final. Lucky to be there the way they played in the run up.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

How many times have we said on here if you keep on doing the same things don’t expect a different result.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Our tactics would eventually catch up with us. You can see that when we have to score and go on the attack it’s exciting exhilarating stuff – stuff those players are used to. We can beat any team in the world when on the front foot but that wasn’t how he wanted us set up. The way we played after our goal was shocking, we went ultra defensive whilst leaving huge gaps down the wing. Kane could barely jump or move. Disappointing, but a bright future ahead with the right manager

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Spain this year and Italy in 2021, to some degree, played attacking football, yet we suffer with ‘pragmatism’ and it has nullified our strengths in attack. Along with a first team imbalance, unwillingness to make subs, and some underperformance in some areas. It’s a 3rd semi final in 4 major tournaments and 2nd successive Euro final, so we have players capable of getting far, but now we need that little push to maximise potential.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Spain showed all how the game should be played to aplomb.

Our midfield was terrible. Play to not lose is not the way to go against a dominant team.
    England had the easy street route to the final. Lucky to be there the way they played in the run up.

Bang on ..

When Palmer scored i honestly thought we would press on attack all out and go for a winner and get it ..sadly the total opposite happened , we retreated back off went defensive and allowed Spain to mount attack after attack and score .. Football was the winner Spain totally deserved their victory from the first ball kicked last month to the final they have been the best team by a mile .. and i might add seeing off the likes of Germany and France in the tough half of the draw.

Southgate surely has to go but wouldnt be surprised the FA give him another 2 years to the next WC…in which case it aint coming home anytime soon even with the best crop of talent on the planet.

southgate out NOW

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Would agree with most the comments by others above. Not sure I agree with ‘best crop of talent on the planet’ though. Spain’s talent is at least equal or better.

HeathHeath
    Participant

“When Palmer scored i honestly thought we would press on attack all out and go for a winner”.

That was what I was expecting, but just before Spain got the winner, Trippier and Gallagher were coming on. Hardly going for it!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Well at least another record for us the first team to make 2 finals and not win one of them.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Well at least another record for us the first team to make 2 finals and not win one of them.

Hang onto that thought Awaywego it might be our only highpoint in International football for the next 58 years

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Flanks exposed playing three at the back and wingers who aren’t wing-backs.

AB take note!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.