Scunthorpe 2.0

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Scunthorpe 2.0

• Author
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Well I’m not writing the season off before I’ve seen the new squad under Butler kick a ball 414. I’ll reserve judgement till a month or so in to the season.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

That depends on what you class as a write off Deerey. For me this season would be a reasonable success if we play entertaining football, finish in the top 10 and most importantly, maintain the current feel good factor around the club.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Well played Turkey fully deserved win tonight and what a world class save by their keeper in the final moments of the game. MOTM, the referee, absolutely first class what a great example of how to ref a football match.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Match winning save

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Great but the Portugal GK’s triple penalty save was beyond awesome.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

France and Portugal both looking very hard to break down.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Not difficult when you miss as many decent goal scoring chances as France have crested. Not seen more skied shots from a team of their calibre in the the tournament.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Penalties… we might see tears from CR7 again!

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Enjoyed the Germany Spain game .. plenty of action tho Kroos should not have been on the pitch much after 20mins .. im sure that handball not given penalty will be mentioned a fair bit as the ball clearly hit the fuzzy haired lads hand but no VAR even ???

As for France v Portugal watched first half and it was nailed on for pens so went to bed .. CR7 at 39 and Pepe at 41 seeing what has to be their final international hooray.

Big game tonight Eng v Swiss too close to call … with most “expert pundits” including Mark Goldbridge (enjoy his watchalongs when cant get the game)predicting an England win… IMO all depends witch England turn up and im less optimistic and think the Swiss could well beat us especially if we score first n sit back as usual (Spain did the same N IT NEARLY COST THEM)

A tight 2-1 ..either way

Holland Turkey .. 2-0 AET to the Dutch

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

And no Southgate many of us don’t feel entitled to win every game, what fans do feel entitled to is a performance way better than than any we’ve seen up to now that’s all.

HeathHeath
    Participant
    Registered On: August 5, 2017
    Topics: 17

I thought Portugal were excellent and good to watch. They have gone out because someone decided that Ronaldo plays every minute of every game. Like watching Ali getting beaten up by fighters who wouldn’t land a glove on him in his prime.

We have a similar obsession with Kane. He has been poor and slow in all the major tournaments I have seen. But he does score goals so keeps his place. So did Shearer and Rooney, but their general play was better than Kane’s.

Hopefully Kane will get a hat-trick!!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Same as last season when someone said all that Whitehall does is scores goals lol.

RandomRandom
    Participant
    Registered On: June 9, 2017
    Topics: 6

Am not sure top ten will give much of a feel good factor unless it was top three, however you address the finance situation it would still be difficult to take if we are not challenging for promotion. We will most likely still have the largest wage budget in the league so if we are not challenging it will be massively disappointing.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

It’s all relative. Have any of those predicting mid table seen the squad playing together yet or checked out the quality of the other clubs yet? I suspect not.

RandomRandom
    Participant
    Registered On: June 9, 2017
    Topics: 6

I have took note of most signing in our league and I quite fancy chester to do well, they have brought players in, in positions that they were weak at last year. They passed it well but were not a strong team so have beefed themselves up a bit and kept hold of their best ball players so should be able to mix it well.
    Darlington have done alright to they signed the players that performed well at the end of last year. Same too with brackley who were already a strong side.
    As for scunny am not sure about our signings at all. The lad from chorley seems alright but the other two are not established in any league so feel like hopeful additions.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Chester doing exactly as I’d hoped we would do, but it appears we are rewriting the script and going with a more direct physical approach.
    Brackley are my favourites to win the league this year. They have kept hold of the core of their squad and even their midfielder Bates who was announced as leaving, did a U-turn and resigned last week. If only our midfield maestro did the same. I know, I know… we can no longer afford players of that class but c’mon… the lads we’ve got on trial… surely we can do better?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Other than the corner a lot more positive from England just needs a bit more speed.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Best England performance of the tournament so far tonight the shape worked well and we played a lot further up the pitch as a result which allowed us to press them a lot more. Great game and goal from Saka but all the players deserve a pat on the back for improving as a team and certainly the 5 pens were all excellent.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

The amount of Iron fans who know so much about non league players is astonishing

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Don’t get upset over it 64 lots of them go to games so are bound to know to know more than you.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Much better from England. Quality pens and good save from Pickford. Saka was fantastic. Pleased for him, the squad and Southgate. Job done. Switzerland have been better than that in previous games but credit to the England set up and formation for changing that. Subs should have been made earlier IMO but got over the line so I’ll take it.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Better performance by England but IMO still lacked that creative cutting edge still a win is a win and gotta take that.

All 5 penalty takers were excellent.

Holland in the semis and again too close to call … best team in the competition from the outset have been Spain but could France get to the final having not scored a goal in open play ???

Whatever happens SOUTHGATE OUT

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Southgate will go whatever happens I believe he will have had enough after eight years and his record will stand up as being very good compared to past England managers, Sir Alf withstanding, he will go down as England’s second most successful manager of all time.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

I have long been a critic of Southgate’s tactical naivety and overly cautious approach.

Not enough to change my mind about his eight years but last night was the first time he has sent out a team to play as a genuine back three. Previous back threes have always been back fives with a sitting midfielder in front of them. Credit where credit is due.

If he had remembered to bring a fit left wing back to the tournament that would have been comfortably his most positive line up in an important game in his whole career.

He obviously did not spot that Trippier spent the last 3 or 4 months of the season dealing with injuries and poor form for Newcastle. He has been ineffective (by his usual high standards) when playing on the right so playing him on the left was high risk and has been a major factor in the lack of fluidity.

He also (as is usual) left his substitutions 15 or 20 minutes late.

He has however, stumbled on that number one quality that all tournament winning managers have. He is on a lucky streak.

Hope it lasts right through 2 more games. If it does I will be delighted to be proved to be wrong about Southgate for 8 years.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Good job he had a plan for the penalties because he didn’t have one for the two hours leading up to them!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Playing a lot of the match in the oppositions half rather than side and back passing halfway up our own half helped. Who’d have thunked it?

3 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

All of which Ironawe said is true IFA but it’s still a Southgate out from me.
    It depends on what people judge as success 2nd in our league may appear successful till you see the team in 6th achieved the promotion.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

IF IF IF by some miracle England get tothe final and even win it it changes nothing .. Southgates legay will be one of success but one manufactured in such anegative and distorted fashion deriding all the mega talent he had on ofer .. many other decent managers would get way mor attqacking and winning from such extreme talent but Mr Southgate appears to have done it in such adepressing negative way it has turned many fans away from the national side .. in addition the cream of the current crop like Foden and Rice protecting Southgate makes me wanna pewk ..

Spain loads of suspensions so its a France v England Final .. 0-0 aet and take yer pick on pens

in loose or draw from now on

SOUTHGATE OUT ………is THE BEST RESULT EVER FOR OUR NATIONAL TEAM.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

The nation waits for a major semi with a half decent chance of progressing. And the departure, even sacking of the manager ..even if we were to progress to the final and then win it .. would be ‘THE BEST RESULT EVER FOR THE NATIONAL TEAM.’
    Come home Ironfromafar … there may be more help available here.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

I’m sure some consumption of alcohol is probably the reason ironfromafar gets a little carried away regarding Southgate and his reign as England manager. Maybe he doesn’t get as many happy endings as he makes out, soapy or otherwise.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.