Scunthorpe 2.0

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Scunthorpe 2.0

• Author
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

Totally lacking any real creative spark, imho. Imagine a solid passing team with an unpredictable lock-picker like Gascoigne who can ‘play it as he sees it’!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Southgate says he understands the fans then contradicts himself saying he’s took stick in winning the group that other managers haven’t just qualifying and creating an unusual environment to operate in.
    Bit like the Darlo game with the fans toxicity, in their bubble they must think what the f we’ve just won the group, hope they come out the next game and teach the fans a lesson and play side to side back and forth and don’t create many chances.
    Well at least there creating history a match with the fewest attempts on goal✓ and being part of a group with the lowest ever goals scored ✓
    A reporter today says a lot of people will have egg on their face if we go on to make the final or even win it fraid not mate we know what we’ve seen and it’s just not good enough.

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

Booing the team is understandably but not really helpful, it causes players to hide.

Booing the opposition’s national anthem, even in retaliation, is definitely not helpful, it’s embarrassing.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

As if there not hiding already, didn’t here hey Jude once last night.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Was he playing?

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Was he playing?

….only with Kane at half time. Gordon should have got at least thirty minutes and along with Cole we would have created problems on both wings for Slovenia and with Watkins on for Kane I reckon we’d have scored. At least the younger players coming on second half freshened things up but some of these kids need to be starting. Not holding my breath on that one.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

If Foden’s not back in time to prep for Sunday it’s an easier decision to play Gordon on left for him, Palmer on right fir Saka who looks tired, and Mainoo for Gallagher. It’s a win win. If it doesn’t work at least he can say he tried to change it.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Will he brave enough to address the elephant in the the room?

Bellingham had his 30 minutes of quality followed by 4 hours of disinterested mediocrity.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

I say ‘no’ but would love to be wrong

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

Gareth Southgate = Graham Alexander

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Another decent analysis

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Harry kane’s play style is that of a false 9, so why doesn’t Southgate just play him as an attacking midfielder behind Watkins so it leaves him to play his natural game while also having an actual striker up front ?. Stick Palmer on the right with Gordon on the left and play Bellingham next to Rice/Mainoo.

Dump Trippier and play Arnold at RB and Walker at LB.

I still can’t understand why Southgate didn’t play Mitchell more and have him bedded in knowing Shaw is held together with duct tape. Mitchell played well all season for Palace and is a natural LB after all.

Southgate’s decisions are poor to say the least.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

This you ironfromafar?

https://x.com/FBAwayDays/status/1805714447513559476?t=6WUYIe7zpiMAcdZ4Od0Q8A&s=19

Oh Deery Deery me ………. The cats out the bag…

Not me with an accent like that akin to a cockney barra boy full to the lids of whizz.

Its becoming clearer

ENGLAND V SLOVAKIA
    if win
    ENGLAND V SWISS or ITALY (book the tickets home if performances dont improve drastically)
    if win
    ENGLAND V one of DUTCH,ROMANIA,TURKEY or *My dark horses AUSTRIA.
    IF WIN

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Harry kane’s play style is that of a false 9, so why doesn’t Southgate just play him as an attacking midfielder behind Watkins so it leaves him to play his natural game while also having an actual striker up front ?. Stick Palmer on the right with Gordon on the left and play Bellingham next to Rice/Mainoo.

Dump Trippier and play Arnold at RB and Walker at LB.

I still can’t understand why Southgate didn’t play Mitchell more and have him bedded in knowing Shaw is held together with duct tape. Mitchell played well all season for Palace and is a natural LB after all.

Southgate’s decisions are poor to say the least.

Trent at left back?? He’s not fantastic defending at right back! Should be Walker, Stones, Guehi, Gomez, Bellingham, Rice, Mainoo, Gordon, Kane, Palmer.

Should drop Bellingham and Kane but he won’t

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Read it again. Arnold RB and Walker LB. Hardly ideal as there is no natural LB with Shaw not yet match fit. Southgate at his finest. Kane needs to play as he’s a goal scorer. I just think playing Kane in an attacking midfield role behind Watkins makes sense as he drops back to that position when playing upfront anyway.

Least playing Kane there we end up with a striker up front. I’d leave Foden out personally and play Kane. Gordon and Palmer need to be starting too.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

My mistake. Rather not Trent at right back either. Gomez played well enough at LB this season I believe? There’s plenty of options in midfield and attack but he’s too conservative to make that many. Nothing to lose trying something different but will no doubt be determined to make something work that clearly doesn’t

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Same training course as Jimmy Dean?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Surely no coach suggests so much side and back passing?

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Statistics!!! I sometimes wonder if players are more concerned with their pass success rate than the teams performance and result. A player comes off congratulating himself on a 100% pass completion stat. Nobody points out that 99% of his passes were backwards or sideways, 1% forward and only 5% more than 5 metres. His conclusion – I’ve had a great game, it must have been the others.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Jimmy and Gareth must have done their training course 10 or 15 years ago when “Managing the Game” was still the fashionable module Mourinho style.

Before Pep and Klopp et al blew that crap away.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

More days mixed up , i went out in Bkk for a footy n piss n and soapy day .. WOFT .. no footy.. anyway Therme bar followed a soapy n alls well ..

Back to Scunny .. whilst all around seem mega positive re next season i will refrain from adding this optimism as quite frankly we will be at best a mid upper half table as best, biggest budget bullshit or not , sorry to piss on everyones chips.

UTI

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Same training course as Jimmy Dean?

Dean did a training course?

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Mega positivity? Must have missed all that.
    Certainly not on the football side of things anyway only 3 new signings, playing silly buggers over the announcement of the assistant manager big increases in season ticket prices, seen nothing remotely to get positive about.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

“I ‘ate you Butler!’

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I wish we could play like Spain. Very exciting to watch and they don’t just sit back and defend a 1 goal lead. I find this Spain more exciting to watch than the Iniesta/Xavi//Busquets glory years. I feel bad for Georgia to lose by this margin because they have played so well this tournament and in the first half this game, but fatigue has come into for them I think. Still, that doesn’t take away from the magnificence of this Spanish display.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Gall of Slovakia’s head coach slating England for time wasting after one of their players tried to get the game stopped with his fake injury before the equaliser, untill he realised the ref wasn’t having it. Even Cole Palmer tried to create a second goal when he could have ran it in to the corner.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Back to Scunny .. whilst all around seem mega positive re next season i will refrain from adding this optimism as quite frankly we will be at best a mid upper half table as best, biggest budget bullshit or not , sorry to piss on everyones chips.

UTI

Watch out IFA, Deerey will be coming for you for ‘sowing seeds of doubt’

The majority of the positivity I have seen is around the club ownership, reduction of debt and the community spirit that has been build since the departure of WHAM. All excellent work from the board and our fans, especially those volunteering down at GP.

On the footballing side of things I haven’t seen too much blind optimism from our fans. Most people realise we’ve lost our two best players, 2/3 of our signings are squad players at best, we’ve got a manager with no proven track record and we’re competing in a league that’s significantly tougher than it was last season, with a thin squad, despite having a fair few players that have consistent injury problems. The consensus of comments place us in mid-top half of table, scraping play offs if we are lucky.

I listened to Lee Turnbull’s interview yesterday whilst waiting on the England game to KO and he stressed how important it is that we go up this season. I think the club needs to revise their expectations somewhat, unless they have an ace up their sleeve.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

good points 414

IMO .. 3 to 5 years to get out of this nasty NLN ..

Into July no announcements from the club re signings as yet .. i was of the mind AB asst and keeper would be named today still plenty of time as im a few hours in front of Blighty.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

We were definitely told they would be announced today, so we’ll have to wait and see. After the GK has signed we’re still a RB and two wide players short but were told told they would be signing from trialist players, so lets hope they are of a good standard.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.