Scunthorpe 2.0

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Scunthorpe 2.0

• Author
    dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

I won’t be watching any replays either, MK …. and I’m certainly not defending Southgate or the performances. Having said that … it’s a fine line between opponent’s mistakes and creating opportunities. Kane’s goal seems to be seen by many as a defensive error. If I was that defender I’d be sick … but not beating myself up too much. For me it was created by the electrifying pace and opportunistic aggression of Walker. A lot of opportunities get ‘handed’ to teams because of pressure and the defensive mistakes that occur as a result.
    If Kane’s header had gone in then different story. The same with Foden in the next game.
    In both games, against decent teams, we looked good enough in the early stages. What frustrates is the seeming inability to push on and consolidate when we clearly have great talent. A win and two or three goals on Tuesday night and the mood changes. Over to Gareth!

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

The mood will change if he fields a naturally left sided attacker, ditches the ‘Philips replacement’ experiment and pulls Kane off at half time if he’s still aimlessly tortoising around. That said, does he have a Plan B? Be good if he started adapting and responding to on field antics.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Pulling Kane off at halftime?

In my day we only got half an orange!

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

Our team rarely had happy endings. The beginnings were a pretty rough too.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Pulling Kane off at halftime?

In my day we only got half an orange!

Aye no wonder Kane looks knackered after 50 minutes.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

What an entertaining game Belgium v Romania, for me the best game in the tournament so far, wish England could be involved in a game like that.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Kane just as bad as Rooney over England support criticizing ex players. Much has I dislike Lineker and Shearer what are they supposed to say, what’s he want does he want them to lie.
    Living in their camp must be a closed bubble with Southgate telling them how well they’ve done and them believing him. Overpaid, spoilt, ungrateful prima donnas.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Southgate from what I read the other day is the best paid manager who rakes in close to 5 million a year.

The FA board who make the decisions need stringing up.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Slight exaggeration

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Southgate from what I read the other day is the best paid manager who rakes in close to 5 million a year.

The FA board who make the decisions need stringing up.

Wonder what it would cost to hire Guardiola as England manager?, he’s already on £16 million a year at City, now that is crazy money.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

the term “Poison Chalice” springs to mind … cant see the likes og Pep or Jurgen destroying their career legacy trying to sort out the clusterfook that is the England set up in recent years .. Southgate already making noises about stepping down which is a welcome result IMO

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

Kane just as bad as Rooney over England support criticizing ex players. Much has I dislike Lineker and Shearer what are they supposed to say, what’s he want does he want them to lie.
    Living in their camp must be a closed bubble with Southgate telling them how well they’ve done and them believing him. Overpaid, spoilt, ungrateful prima donnas.

“shut up and take you beating” ? he’s allowed a response .Having seen the abuse that influential people can direct with their comments in the last year or so I’m not surprised he’s sticking up for himself

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

He was sticking up for England, for himself the pundits have been gushing over him in the first match Lineker and Sheared were so up his arse but we’re critical of the performance of the team what’s so wrong with that.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I don’t think pundits questioning how Kane performs can be labelled as abuse really. The pundits were all reiterating how they like Kane, but think there is a limitation in how he is being played after 2 weak performances. It’s the job of pundits to analyse, not cheerlead, so Kane should learn to handle it and do the talking on the pitch.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

This sums up my thoughts perhaps better than I have done on this thread:

https://www.football365.com/news/southgate-klopp-england-exactly-the-same-john-nicholson

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I have an Italiajn friend who has said similar to English fans, know Czech pundits who have said the same thing and so did Cesc Fabregas. I suppose they don’t have the balance of neutrality though.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Personally, I find that quite a narrow minded article based on stereotypes that do nothing but shore up an opinion that a manager, who despite being so good to guide crap England to semis and finals, wouldn’t be touched by top clubs or the nations with prestigious histories in tournaments. If France don’t succeed they wouldn’t touch Gareth with a barge pole, even if they get over the nationality issue.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

When I say

I don’t think pundits questioning how Kane performs can be labelled as abuse really. The pundits were all reiterating how they like Kane, but think there is a limitation in how he is being played after 2 weak performances. It’s the job of pundits to analyse, not cheerlead, so Kane should learn to handle it and do the talking on the pitch.

never said it was abuse or could be labelled as such.I said what they say can direct abuse towards people,as we saw on here and other Iron related web spaces.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Personally, I find that quite a narrow minded article based on stereotypes that do nothing but shore up an opinion that a manager, who despite being so good to guide crap England to semis and finals, wouldn’t be touched by top clubs or the nations with prestigious histories in tournaments. If France don’t succeed they wouldn’t touch Gareth with a barge pole, even if they get over the nationality issue.

I think it’s a clearly provocative article but it’s intention is, to my mind, to get people to think about WHY they have such high expectations of this group of players and how they view a manager who has been the most successful for England in the last 60 years.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

I am not a fan of clickbaiting, especially when the people doing it are trying to claim they’re being a level head. It comes across just as blinkered as someone like Mark Goldbridge saying England have to win the Euros because we have the best squad without consideration for things like squad balance.

In the article it makes the claim that the only reason we rate our players is because of performances brought on by foreign players. Then goes on to state that even unheard of players for Georgia, Turkey or Romania can play better than England’s because of this. I am not overrating players to say that Bellingham, Foden and Kane are better than their players, in my opinion. I don’t think Ancelotti will come to this great realisation that he has been had and that he is better off swapping Bellingham for Kocharashvili because of how they have played for their national teams.

It works out the other way too. Many times we have seen players impress on the international stage only to flop at club level. None of the Greek Euro 2004 squad became superstars at club level. Milan Baros impressed that tournament but was weak for Liverpool. He wasn’t facilitating Gerrard. I suspect that some of these Romanian, Georgian and Turkish stars wouldn’t replicate their international form at club level, so I think it’s a bit more complex than international football sifting out the chaff. Coaching comes into it too.

Given the article is written from the ‘neutral ground’ of Scotland, I wouldn’t be surprised if the author has been biased negatively from the locals. I have seen some Scots claim that we are ‘at their level’. Seems a bit like bitterness to me.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

A bit much to claim we are at Scotland’s level.

Just a bit more effort and we could get there though.

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

Very good evidence based analysis of why England were so bad against Denmark. Worth the 18min watch. Hopefully these problems are being addressed. Prefer this to some patronising and presumptuous journalist telling me how to think, which is very much what Nicholson did in the last two paragraphs of that article. I don’t think there’s any right or wrong over how much it’s Southgate’s fault or the players but the problems flagged up can’t be denied and it indicates the main reason being set up and positioning, regardless of one man’s very subjective theory of supporters having too high expectations.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

All the average fan knows is that we were crap. We don’t know why we were crap although we probably all have opinions. It’s surely the job of the players/manager/coaches to work out why and put it right. They’re paid well enough and that’s their only job.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

All the average fan knows is that we were crap. We don’t know why we were crap although we probably all have opinions. It’s surely the job of the players/manager/coaches to work out why and put it right. They’re paid well enough and that’s their only job.

Not enough gung-ho!

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Dire. Most boring team in the tournament.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Fool me once shame on you
    Fool me twice shame on me

feeling a tad more positive after the Kane comments i wrongly assumed England might up their game so awoke like an idiot at 1-45am for the game .. and what was served up same old BORING NEGATIVE CRAP .. was back in bed by 2-45 am… got to feel for thousands of fans who have traveled to witness these 3 group stage performances which quite honestly have been dire.

Thats me done until Southgate departs.

Just reinforces my thoughts that i done really give a sh8t about the EPL or even the England national team .. SCUNTHORPE UNITED are my one n only team… (though i do hope Southend find away to survive)

SOUTHGATE OUT

UTI

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

missed a days results and pleased to say my pre tournament pick for dark horses Austria came through a really tough group on Top .. they are in the harder side of the draw i think but could they win the the competition ???

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Generally poor, particularly first half ball control. Better second, kept possession better and controlled the game higher up, looking for each other, tighter. Some positives seeing Mainoo and Palmer making an impact, even Gordon for that huge 2mins he got, but all too late when it was obvious Saka, Bellingham and others were struggling. I’d like to see both Gordon and Palmer start next game but doubt it will happen. Slovenia defended well but offered very little going forward and we were lucky that Denmark didn’t get a goal and 3 points to top the group. Not confident of progressing much further but you never know. Has anyone else topped a group scoring just goals in the history of the competition? If anyone who hadn’t seen the matches just looked at the table they’d be forgiven for thinking England did well. Anyone who saw the reality must be deluded or have an axe to grind trying to defend it.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

As with previous games, always looks like the opposition have thirteen players on the pitch.

Clueless when it comes to unpicking a defence!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.