Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Sounds like a plan Siderite

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Dire performance tonight. Southgate making no changes after a very average performance from many of his players on Sunday was very Jimmy Dean-esq.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

You lot don’t know how to be happy. We didn’t lose did we? Good draw IMO.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

With all due respect to Gareth and the players out there earlier, I think there’s a bit of a re-think needed. Minor criticism though. I don’t expect much. It would be churlish to ask for more.

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

Last Euro’s we played out a very similary dire 0-0 draw with Scotland in our 2nd game and went on to reach the final. Heck, even Argentina lost to Saudia Arabia in the World Cup group stage and went on to win it. It’s really not the end of the world.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Can we have someone come on and tell me Southgate is doing a good job?

I think Southgate is doing a great job …

at getting the 3 Lions home early .. dire stuff again and hes got to go ASAP .. dull sideways and backwards crap tippy tappy zero penetration and crosses into the box worse than Scunny under JD n that was bad.

Scrap through a poor group n get whipped by a decent side a fitting end to Southgates reign.

Pretty sure the problem isn’t a dearth of happiness amongst England supporters expecting to beat every team by a number of goals

That reminds me of the Iron faithful some how thinking we would piss the league and batter all who came before us last season.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

We did have some scrappy games in previous group stages, but none of the performances were as disjointed as yesterday from memory.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Very similar to about 10 of the Iron’s away games last season which is pretty much why Dean is no longer here.

Do Southgate and his boys really think walking football and “managing the game” works these days?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

You lot don’t know how to be happy. We didn’t lose did we? Good draw IMO.

THe result wasn’t a disaster, the performance was.

dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

No mention of Walker. I remember one misplaced pass that caused us problems … but my main recollections are of several blistering runs and especially the one that created a goal out of nothing.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

That’s right. Both goals came from errors. Otherwise it would have been an even more turgid 0-0!

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Can we have someone come on and tell me Southgate is doing a good job?

While you’re at it convince me why I am being unrealistic to expect we could do better than snatch a lucky draw against a team of reasonable Championship standard?

I’d point at Southgate’s record of semis & a final as being in the “credit” side of the ledger.

Yesterday wasn’t great and he has questions to answer but equally most of the players in that team couldn’t make a simple pass. Saka’s final ball was atrocious, I don’t think he found a teammate with a single cross. Foden looked better but shot wildly over when through on goal. Kane can’t/won’t move. These things can’t really be laid at the manager’s door and just shows how massively over-rated a lot of England’s players are.

Also, don’t most of Denmark’s team play in the Premier League too?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Maybe he should spend less time trying to fill the apparent void left by Kalvin Philips? Wtf is that all about? Most those players are not massively over rated. Many are not performing well enough. Particularly Kane who ought to be dropped now in favour of a pacier Watkins who would drag the rest of the team upfield. At least Southgate rang the changes earlier last night. Big re-think needed. If a change in formation and system seems to work, and the players actually look like they know what the plan is, people might stop saying they’re over rated.

premierironpremier iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 6, 2014
    Topics: 28

Why can’t Southgate get the players to perform like they do at their clubs.For example Foden voted best player in the premiership done very little in both matches and Kane scoring over 40 goals this season also.For some reason we score a goal and spend the rest of the match defending.This can only be Southgates instructions.Saw Spain v Italy last night and we would not stand a chance against Spain

Deereyme66Deereyme66

The Premiership is over rated apparently. Take Kane and Bellingham for example. Oh, wait a minute…

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

The players did not do themselves any favours yesterday and should be able to make simple passes no matter what. However, a lot of it seems to be stemming from the system. We sit deep a lot of the time, but especially after going a goal ahead. The players get pinned back and Kane is practically a defensive midfielder at this point. There is then no outlet and the ball keeps coming back with us under pressure. This is on Southgate, and this is before we get into Foden and especially Trent being out of position, especially the latter. With constant pressure the panic rises and the morale drops, while the opposition gain momentum and it’s hard to switch back into higher gears after that.

It’s similar to what happened previously under Southgate. Except then the opposition couldn’t live with the talent we do possess, and Southgate’s instilled unity helped a lot, but now they have figured how to nullify the talent and we seem to be struggling more. This hasn’t been a one off. Since the last world cup we have struggled in games. Many of those games aren’t so meaningful, but it’s a worrying pattern. The game has moved on from ‘managing’ the game by sitting back and trying to stifle the attack. The ‘tiki taka’ of Barcelona and Spain, plus the pressing brought in by German coaches has rendered it archaic. Now this is becoming more common, well drilled teams like Denmark can nullify it and the better teams are only more likely to do so. I don’t have any confidence that Southgate knows how to play differently or adapt with the players at his disposal.

It annoys me when some say we have to be winning the Euros with this squad, it does come across as arrogant. However, they are right in that we should be performing a lot better with this squad. It may be true that some players may be overhyped, but the star players we have do demonstrate good passing, pressing and moves into space for their clubs. I don’t think the only reason Foden can do this for Man City is because De Bruyne, Rodri and Bernado Silva enable him to pass a ball quicker and more accurately. I don’t believe that Bellingham can look like the star in a Real shirt because of Vinicius Jr, Kroos or Nacho. If they were so bad as to not be able to pass a ball they would stand out like a sore thumb. If they really are so overrated that they struggle like this, then it sweeps by pretty much every expert. So many nations like Romania, Austria and Turkey have impressed so far, but I don’t think their players are as good as England’s. Not because of overhype, but because they don’t necessarily replicate it in club shirts or stand out like English players. It suggests to me that the underperformance seen so far is not because of overhype, but lack of gelling, ineffective tactics and systems. There may be an issue with players here, but a lot of this falls on the coaching in my opinion.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘So many nations like Romania, Austria and Turkey have impressed so far, but I don’t think their players are as good as England’s.’

Who could disagree with that?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

It just feels like a film we’ve seen for decades – over-hyped “great” players who are apparently wonderful but who lack the technical ability to shine in an England shirt – hence why England players can’t keep the ball and end up giving it away cheaply in games. And yesterday was a real prime example of it. Rice was awful in possession, looked like someone pulled out of the stands to play, then there’s the fact that there are apparently only 2 English left-backs in the top flight, both of whom are injured. The goalkeeper doesn’t fill me with confidence either but where’s the competition there?

We can blame the manager all we like, and we clearly won’t be in the job after the end of the tournament, whenever that comes, but unless the game addresses the reasons behind the slim pickings in key areas (GK, LB, CB, CM) then I don’t see how things can improve massively. It’s all very well complaining that Grealish or that boy from Chelsea or whoever haven’t been picked but the issues run much deeper than that.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

Yet teams like Albania can get their players playing to the best of their ability and can do the things we failed to yesterday. However, I don’t think that Foden and Bellingham are so overhyped that they are worse than Albania’s players, with no disrespect to Albania’s players. Many of the errors made yesterday aren’t being made by them in their clubs; they can make intricate passes then. When Pep, Ancelotti etc can see the worth of Bellingham and Foden, as well as the managers of the clubs all the others play for, I don’t think the issue with how we are playing lies with overhyping. It may be things like attitude (I think the so called ‘golden generation’ had a big issue with getting egos to work as a unit), so it may not be all the fault of coaching, but I think it is a large aspect with the dreadful system that just invites pressure.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant

My friend in Czechia was saying the Czech pundits were laying into Southgate yesterday, pinning a lot of it on him.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

It would appear that everything and everyone (including the players, the press and media, supporters, the Premiership and even ‘the game’) bar Southgate is to blame. On paper he may look great but the performances on the pitch for the past few years have been mediocre at best. The buck stops with the coaching and him who’s leading it. This isn’t being fickle or misunderstanding the situation, it’s been happening for years now.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Shaw still isn’t fit enough to train with the squad. What was the point in taking him when the likes of Chilwell and Mitchell are fit and available? Might be fit for the group stage? That would end well wouldn’t it. No decent left backs my arse!

https://x.com/sistoney67/status/1804085765418156112?t=DObmURlcuLt9iYJSEgr_YQ&s=19

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

‘So many nations like Romania, Austria and Turkey have impressed so far, but I don’t think their players are as good as England’s.’

Who could disagree with that?

Indeed the teams you mentioned have impressed ..look hungry n fit and never stop attacking and pressing no sitting back and lack of endeavor.

Watched the Slovak / Ukr game last night and the same goes there…and an excellent win by my dark horses Austria.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Yet wonder team France played out a dire goaless draw with Netherlands, have four points from two games with a plus one goal difference and Griezmann missed three sitters and was absolute shite. Funny old game.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

We have played 2 games and not actually created 3 opportunities never mind missed 3 sitters.

As many have said the concern is not about the results but the performances IA.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Shaw still isn’t fit enough to train with the squad. What was the point in taking him when the likes of Chilwell and Mitchell are fit and available? Might be fit for the group stage? That would end well wouldn’t it. No decent left backs my arse!

Tyler Denton was available!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

You had the same attitude with Scunny IA when getting turgid draws away from home especially after the draw at Boston. For those who went we all knew it was 2 points dropped and not a good point away from home has many portrayed by you and many others.

Participant

We have played 2 games and not actually created 3 opportunities never mind missed 3 sitters.

I certainly didnt enjoy either performance but lets not exaggerate. Just off the top of my head I can recall two goals, Kane hitting the bar, Foden hitting the post, same fellah skying a chance he had created and would bury on any given Saturday. That’s five without even thinking.

Participant

ps what was going on with that pitch!!!? No excuses intended …same for both teams … but that was not acceptable at a major tournament. It nearly put Walker out of the tournament. Strange to see given the usual German precision and efficiency.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

We have been handed a couple of opportunities and at least one of the goals by poor play from our opponents. I’ll stand by what I said about not creating 3 opportunities ourselves.

I might be wrong but I’m certainly not going to watch replays of 2 turgid football matches to double check. I do accept I may have unwittingly dropped off to sleep a couple of times whilst watching them live and missed something good.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.