• Author
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Let’s hope the foreign press, particularly the French are as honest in their own countries opening performances, thought France got out of jail a bit with their narrow win last night. Nice nose job on their star player mind.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

it seems we’re at the point of no return ,if you don’t win by a country mile and play in a way that some like then you are actually awful and cannot play at all. To ignore the opposition playing well and admitting being awful you’re “being honest”

1 user thanked author for this post.
    dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

The corporate England setup doesn’t like mavericks or unpredictable flair. It started back with Ramsey and Revie and continues to this day. ‘

Can’t disagree NI. Tony Currie also sprang to mind … a few more caps I think but definitely under appreciated. Grealish is similar to him … but far more predictable.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Suggesting Grealish didn’t make the squad due to behaviour and personality JI?

Add Venables to that list btw

Participant

Suggesting Grealish didn’t make the squad due to behaviour and personality

Don’t think so. Not consciously anyway. Tony Currie epitomised the maverick, unpredictable flair type of player referenced by NI in his list. He was a muscular so and so too ..and Grealish just sprang to mind.
    For what it’s worth I think that Grealish would probably have been in the squad had he had more games and fewer injuries recently.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Maybe but there are others in the squad that have suffered with injuries and fewer games too. One of them, Shaw, still has one! Though there is more competition for the left wing I suppose. Grealish as a starting option or impact sub would have been a good prospect I think. Personally I don’t think his off field antics and reputation for partying have helped his case. Just an observation. I think they are still okay to make aren’t they?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

On Currie, I remember him as a character but saw him playing less. His long blonde mane would have been enough to send the old guard FA apoplectic.

Participant

Agreed. Grealish has more competition than Shaw ..and I definitely think a fit Grealish would be a great option for any team at the Euros. I don’t know so much about his off field stuff but probably don’t think it’s affected his selection. Could be wrong but I think it’s down to lack of game time at City plus all our ‘riches’ being midfield and attack.

Participant

ps I remember Currie repeatedly tying his full back in knots … and then sitting on the ball!

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

Agreed. Grealish has more competition than Shaw ..and I definitely think a fit Grealish would be a great option for any team at the Euros. I don’t know so much about his off field stuff but probably don’t think it’s affected his selection. Could be wrong but I think it’s down to lack of game time at City plus all our ‘riches’ being midfield and attack.

Has Grealish ever done anything in an England shirt? I can’t recall much. He has been neutered as a player at Citeh, he just dribbles slowly forwards and then passes it 5 yards sideways.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

It wasn’t that long ago that England fans with high ‘win it or do one’ expectations were crying out for Grealish’s inclusion. Similar to how many cried out for Foden’s inclusion but are now going cold on him. Apparently Kane’s not ‘world class’ anymore either. There’s yer fickle.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Tony Currie 17 caps, El Tel a mere 2!

Thing with Grealish (and several others. Sterling and Saka eg) is that they are obviously talented ball players but their decision making is crap!

The number of times you see him go past a defender, get into the box and then end up passing in backwards is ridiculous. Compared to the Belgian lad Doku who is more direct in his approach. Can see Grealish being sold on if he doesn’t up his game.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘Tony Currie 17 caps, El Tel a mere 2!’ As manager I meant. I wouldn’t say Saka’s decision making is crap. The other two maybe. Grealish would fit right back in at Villa, from what I’ve seen of them lately.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

I can see parallels between Grealish and McManaman – both exciting youngsters who could beat a man and “make things happen” but who both had that coached out of them at big clubs, their trophy-winning success coming at the price of their individual flair.

Participant

No axe to grind for Grealish. Maybe the number of fouls he consistently draws in very dangerous areas should be recognised. Whether its enough to elevate him is enough I don’t know. As an impact player in a tense situation those 3 or 4 free kicks won could make the difference.

Participant

Also ..re his future. He has a few trophies … If the chance of a return to Villa came up he should bite their hands off.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

Or somewhere he else where he might have the chance of not being rotated and getting back to his best I’d say.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Woeful so far.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Ah. A master of understatement!
    Possibly, all AB has to do to succeed with a pretty decent team, is not to play in any fashion reminiscent of England’s last three games.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Can we have someone come on and tell me Southgate is doing a good job?

While you’re at it convince me why I am being unrealistic to expect we could do better than snatch a lucky draw against a team of reasonable Championship standard?

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55
    BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

Championship standard? Denmark had one Championship player, Vestergaard, who won the league with Leicester. The rest were all regulars for clubs in the top division of either English, German, Spanish, French or Portuguese football.

England were dire but don’t talk nonsense.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Southgate, Dean Clueless clones of each other.
    Take it that Southgate was a Scunny legend would anyone want him as our manager.
    Without doubt Denmark were the better team but that doesn’t excuse how poor we were, rather we come home than carry on and progressing with that kind of shit show.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

When BBC pundits say England aren’t getting the best out of their players in the correct positions, that must be the biggest understatement so far. Such lethargy running throughout today’s performance, several players shouldn’t have even started IMO, only Mark Guehi comes out of both games with any real credit for consistency, he looks a really good player at International level.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Pretty sure the problem isn’t a dearth of happiness amongst England supporters expecting to beat every team by a number of goals

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Hojland and Ericsson get picked for about 50% of Man U games. The Spurs lad gets a game when thy have injuries as does Christenson at Barca. Most of the rest are bit part players.

Not having a dig at Denmark here. They did OK. Saka and Guehi were OK for us. The rest were poor.

If Southgate had any idea he would have taken AA off at half time. Told Bellingham to get beside Rice and start working instead of strolling about like a big time Charlie. Put Foden at 10 and brought Palmer or Gordon in on the left. Oh and told Kane he had 10 minutes to play like a Centre Forward or he’s off.

No, Gareth had a better idea. Bring on a high energy low ability midfielder after 55 mins to try and make sure we don’t lose.

Albania won’t win Euro 24 either but they’re much more entertaining for their fans.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Starting with the same eleven that underperformed in the opening game and then making the same changes and expecting an improvement reminds me of this quote oft attributed to the one and only Albert Einstein..

“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results”.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Has anyone ever changed manager mid tournament?

Jimmy Dean could deliver the same performances for a lot less money.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Cote D’Ivoire in this year’s African Cup of Nations after the group stages. They went on to win the whole thing.

3 users thanked author for this post.
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.