Rushall Olympic

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Rushall Olympic

• Author
    Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

His verbal dexterity has certainly improved since he first arrived at the club.
    He’s being in football all his life… I don’t buy in to the ‘camera shy’ line.

All we want is a win and an unbeaten run to the end of the season – that may even see us go up as champions?

Will Tamworth lose a game during the run in?

UTI.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Amber warning issued, will the tangerines triumph or will we beat them claret & blue?

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Todays team:

FITZSIMONS
    OGLE
    KOUOGUN
    EVANS
    CLUNAN ©
    ELLIOTT
    BUTTERFIELD
    SCALES
    SEMBIE-FERRIS
    DENTON
    WHITEHALL

SUBS:
    KELLY
    BOYCE
    BEESTIN
    WILSON
    PUGH

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Rushall’s line up:

1. Weaver
    2. Green (C)
    4. Fletcher
    5. Brown
    6. Browne
    8. Moore
    9. Oseni
    11. Maher
    12. Nkalambi-Masidi
    15. Clarke
    19. Sullivan

SUBS:
    7. Mclintock
    10. Coyle
    14. Carvalho Landell
    16. Edge
    17. Farmer

I liked the look of Masidi.
    Hopefully Oseni or Farmer (if he gets on) don’t score on their debuts!

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

I’m working so have the Humberside commentary on; it sounds like we’re struggling to get out of first gear AGAIN!

1 user thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

I’m working so have the Humberside commentary on; it sounds like we’re struggling to get out of first gear AGAIN!

real flat performance .. so far been second best and no sign of a reaction from the Tamworth result. RO should ov been a couple up.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Can we play against 10 men every week please!

We got lucky.

CMC CMC
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Well dissect that! Probably the worst first half I’ve ever seen us play, awful wouldn’t cut the mustard, they should have gone in a minimum of 3-0 up absolutely nothing there on any part of the pitch apart from a fitz save, crowd booing the players on frequent occasions though they didnt start singing “your f ing shit ” till the second, and the old favourite “we’ve got the ball” that’s how ball it was, Most would have sacked Dean at half time and yet end up singing his name at full wasn’t just young lads either thick c**** comes to mind, are well 3 points not earned and you’ve got to feel sorry for Rushall they played really well and deserved something from the game, the win just papering over the cracks imo.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Spot on Awaywego we were lucky and only scored the first goal because they were down to ten men, then only scored the second because they finished with nine. Sembie-Ferris aside the majority were gash, several players displaying appalling first touches of a football for professionals, lacking basic foot skills and any intelligent game craft whatsoever. This has got to change, has JD lost the dressing room?, is it just a massive lack of confidence issue?, whatever the reason we were extremely fortunate today and only the ref provided any comedy relief, what a complete plonker he was but then again he was consistently bad for both teams. Bad officials and bad football have been the hallmark of the New Year so far at The Attis Arena, it has to stop and it has to stop now Jimmy.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Good result on paper with Tamworrh drawing but that Absolute garbage served up today i’m afraid.

Huge gaps in the midfield, it’s been a problem for a while now and one of the reasons we hardly win a second ball. We struggled big time on goal kicks as Rushall set up with a high press and stopped us playing it through them, no outlet up top either; Nervous performance all round.

Might seem harsh but we haven’t been right for a while now and we have a squad assembled which is x4 more expensive than everyone else. If we are serious about going for the title we have to be better.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

Well what an end to this game, ywo goals in added time, but at least made qanother of my predictions correct.
    Two points gained on Tamworth, but a vast gap still exists, and Rushall could have been out of sight by half time if they had taken their chances, but they found it diifficult when reduced to 9 men, so Scunny must buid on thiis with 3 points on Tues against a very out of sorts Blyth.

IronfanIronfan
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 2

Centre midfields a big problem for me. Too lightweight and easily bullied. We desperately need someone with a bit of presence. I really dont see what Clunan brings to the team and I’d prefer to see an inform Pugh given a chance

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Butterfield was terrible with Scales not far behind. I’d leave Butterfield out against Blyth and Play Pugh to add a bit of steel. Ferris was very good, as was Fitz and Wilson looked great coming off the bench, but apart from that we were awful.

3 points is 3 points though and if we win the two games in hand we’ll only be 4 points behind Tamworth. Bad performance today, but a very valuable 3 points due to Tamworth drawing.

We can’t keep playing like that though. The trouble is coming from CM area as Butterfield’s not a tackler and Scales is lightweight they’re both better going forward and it’s leaving huge gaps.

Pugh has got to come in, surely ?

I’d personally start Pugh for Butterfield and bring Beestin on for 20-30 minutes in 2nd half for Scales in a bid to get him up to speed.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Appalling. Got zero BBC commentary til 3-07. The connecting pictures for each game – https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/national-league – were up around two clock – except for us and York.
    I had to keep refreshing and finally got the right connection pop up at 3-02. Five minutes beyond that before I could access video. Scream!
    Is it Humberside not connecting up or is it BBC Sport?
    Why does everything have to be so last minute?

2 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

To carry on from my post above, Clunan was poor too. Once Beestin is up to speed I’d partner him with Pugh in CM. I’d change Clunan as well if we had another sitting midfielder.

Pugh is more box to box and Shrimpton can’t play there, we tried that before and he was getting pulled out of position. I wouldn’t put Beestin there either.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Amberwarning issued, will the tangerines triumph or will we beat them claret & blue?

Numerical advantage finally shaded it for us.
    Rico Browne’s dismissal for seeing red leaving some supporters in a purple haze.
    We’re green with envy of Tamworth’s position, however things ain’t all black and hopefully there will be blue skies ahead.
    Three points from a very drab, grey performance.
    UTI.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

Iron 2-1 Pics

My second revision:

Iron 2-0 Pics

As poorly as we are playing, we should have more than enough to despatch these by a minimum of 2 goals.

If we don’t take all three points, then there’s something wrong!

Player power? Do they not respect / like plating for Jimbob?

Let’s see how we go tomorrow!

Well, we played our ‘get out of jail card’ and also our ‘joker’ in order to win that one.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I’m not a fan of booing my team but significant numbers yesterday showed what they thought of the first half and it’s hard to be critical of their actions. A combination of the woodwork, good saves and woeful finishing somehow kept us level at the break. Would the crowd reaction and Jimmy’s half time team talk spur the players in to life? Would they ****! What is wrong with these lads? They’re good players, largely too good for this level they’ve shown us that. We were lucky yesterday and these performances need sorting and quickly. Over to you Jimmy, Chris, Andy and Mussy – no more empty words, ACTION!!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Makes you wonder wether something going on behind the scenes they just couldn’t be arsed till they had their player sent off, ala Alexander before xmas and after, but then again the scenes when we scored you’d have thought wed won the champions league.
    Nice to see Dean noticed playing Elliot in the center seemed to work and with 2 wingers as well, hope he remembers that come Tuesday. Their goalie was good yesterday liked how he took the sting out of the situation when their man walked going down injured giving them time to reshape.

Lord KitchenerLord Kitchener
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 36

It is the mark of a good team, if they play a poor game but still win. My glass is still half full.

UTBI

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Pugh was in form when we recalled him. That 1st game fans said he had a good game now back on the bench. I don’t get it. The lad in his position will give it all every game, give him a run of games.

Then abandon the slow build ups and up the pace of passing.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Butterfield has a lot of miles on the clock and his best work is further up the pitch, It’s fair to say he can’t be described as a combative CM player and Scales despite getting stuck in at times is lightweight. Those two in the middle of the pitch are getting easily dominated and played through.

This is where most of our problems stem from.

As sanfran typed above, Pugh is exactly the CM we need and yet Dean benched him. Pugh should be starting in place of Butterfield and told to play how he did at Hereford when he effected play much further up the pitch.

Start with him and scales and bring Beestin on for 25 minutes in the 2nd half and get him up to speed and eventually play him instead of Scales.

Those two will be a lot more solid and Butterfield and Scales. Butterfield at this stag of the season is becoming a luxury player due to being marked out of the game by just about every team we face.

Pugh was more than created enough when playing for Hereford so there’s absolutely no reason why he can’t replicate that back here.

I’d like to see Butterfield in a 10 role behind Whitehall and to see him coming on in the second half if we need to role the dice for a little bit of magic, but other than that he needs benching.

Far too easy to play against with him and Scales in CM.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Back to benching our best player? You know I don’t agree.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Back to benching our best player? You know I don’t agree.

Best player in terms of ability but we’ve been found out and he’s not really being impacting games for a while now. If benching one player with a lot of ability for a player with less ability that makes us stronger as a unit, I’d rather go down that route.

Pugh is more than good enough for this level.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

You obviously were not at Peterborough Sports WG.

We played more football in the 5 minutes after Butterfield came on than we had in the previous 60 odd minutes put together.

Saturday was the exception but we rarely look dangerous or much likely to score when he is not on the pitch. I accept he had a poor game against Rushall but with the exceptions of Fitzsimons, Kouogan and Sembie-Ferris then so did everyone else.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant

As sanfran typed above, Pugh is exactly the CM we need and yet Dean benched him. Pugh should be starting… and told to play how he did at Hereford when he affected play much further up the pitch.

Pugh was more than creative enough when playing for Hereford so there’s absolutely no reason why he can’t replicate that back here.

Pughy has two screamers nominated in their goal of the month feature.

You’d imagine that they’ll also feature and may well win their goal of the season award too?

4 nominations – 2 are Pughy’s!

Goal of the Month – January 2024

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

You obviously were not at Peterborough Sports WG.

We played more football in the 5 minutes after Butterfield came on than we had in the previous 60 odd minutes put together.

Saturday was the exception but we rarely look dangerous or much likely to score when he is not on the pitch. I accept he had a poor game against Rushall but with the exceptions of Fitzsimons, Kouogan and Sembie-Ferris then so did everyone else.

I agree when he came on we did look better. I have no qualms about him coming on from the bench when we need add that little bit of quality.

As I typed further up the thread…

I’d like to see Butterfield in a 10 role behind Whitehall and to see him coming on in the second half if we need to role the dice for a little bit of magic

I just wouldn’t start him and Scales together from the off as we’re too easy to play through. In a more advanced no 10 role to get him on the ball further up the pitch or off the bench not a problem.

Teams now are getting in and around him and because he hasn’t really got the legs or the physicality to compete on a battling level he’s being nullified. I could be completely wrong but he looks like he’s flagging a bit.

Has the number of games and the physical nature of the league taken it’s toll on him ?

wotnowbrncowwotnowbrncow
    Participant
    Registered On: February 1, 2019
    Topics: 1

I find the midfield setup in general totally bizarre, considering we play a three the amount of empty space in the middle of the pitch is incredible. Earlier on in the year I remember a goal kick that bounced in the centre circle completely unchallenged!
    The oddest thing though is that there doesn’t seem to be any positional discipline between whichever three are on the pitch, at one point on Saturday Clunan was sat just in front of the back four, Scales just to his right, Butterfield at right back and Ogle was hugging the touchline on the wing. It’s no wonder the lone striker always looks so isolated.
    We really lack physicality in the middle of the pitch too and need someone more imposing in there who just gets through the dirty work, wins the ball and breaks things up (a Jim Goodwin type). Unfortunately from what I’ve seen I don’t think we have such a player in the squad.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

It’s the midfield indiscipline coupled with the poor passing and abysmal first touch ball control that is costing us big time. The confidence must be an issue why such assured positive midfield play of earlier in the season has disappeared recently, why that should be is truly baffling but it’s bloody annoying and needs sorting pronto.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.