Home Forums The New Blast Furnace RIP Peter

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 631

One of the greats from an era when most div 1 teams had brilliant goalkeepers.Banks, Sprake, Stepney, Jennings, Lawrence, Clemance, any more please.without me searching.

1 user thanked author for this post.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3006

Who ??????

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4184

Awaywego is referring to Peter Bonetti who was indeed a great goalkeeper. Lucky enough to have his autograph and several others from that great 1970 Chelsea FA Cup winning side. RIP ” the cat “, I’m sure many Chelsea fans are in mourning tonight.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 122
    Replies: 3868

A good life though

Gurnelista
    Participant
    Topics: 51
    Replies: 1107

Not sure about Gary Sprake, he was Leeds’ weakest link until David Harvey came through… but Joe Corrigan, Bob Wilson, Phil Parks, and maybe Mervyn Day also deserve a mention in dispatches. PLus Neville Southall, tho’ he may have been a bit more recent.

Iron-awe
    Participant

Famous story about Gary Sprake in the 60’a playing for Leeds at Liverpool, he was about to throw a ball out to a team mate, got it all wrong and virtually threw the ball into his own net for a Liverpool goal. At half time the norm in those days was to play popular music in the interval and the tune played that day was Careless Hands by Des O’Connor, the Scousers always claimed it was sheer coincidence, really, Scousers, coincidence? Nice one Scousers.

Gurnelista
    Participant
    Topics: 51
    Replies: 1107

And didn’t Alex Stepney score a goal against Sprake once, with a long goal kick?

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 631

did know that one ironawe, bit like steve davis he says hes more famous for losing to dennis taylor than for all the trophys he won, i think that of sprake. greatest memory of peter fa cupfinal replay at old trafford he was awesome.

THE-99%
    Topics: 890
    Replies: 4234

there were also Peter Bonetti gloves

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 249
    Replies: 10997

Not many Scottish keepers mentioned above I notice.

Was Ronnie Simpson the last of merit?

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8396

Frank Haffey, NI??

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2400

And didn’t Alex Stepney score a goal against Sprake once, with a long goal kick?

I don’t know but Pat Jennings did score that way for Tottenham, possibly in a Charity Shield or other televised game.

Iron-awe
    Participant

I don’t know but Pat Jennings did score that way for Tottenham, possibly in a Charity Shield or other televised game.

That could be the 1967 Charity Shield game Ferrite, Man U won the league in 1967 and Spurs beat Chelsea 2-1 in the 1967 FA Cup final. Jennings putting a hundred yard kick over Stepneys outstretched hand rings a bell.

mistertonmick
    Participant

Peter Shilton scored against Southampton once for Leicester out of his hands.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 249
    Replies: 10997

Frank Haffey, NI??

Is that the guy who let 9 in against England?

mistertonmick
    Participant

Aye.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

Remember Steve Ogrizovic scoring from a goal kick for Coventry against Sheff Wed, Martin Hodge was the Wednesday keeper.

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2400

That could be the 1967 Charity Shield game Ferrite, Man U won the league in 1967 and Spurs beat Chelsea 2-1 in the 1967 FA Cup final. Jennings putting a hundred yard kick over Stepneys outstretched hand rings a bell.

Spot on!

Couple of fantastic Bobby Charlton goals in that game too.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Heath
    Participant
    Topics: 37
    Replies: 1928

Gordon West for Everton, Paul Cooper at Ipswich, Ron Springett and of course Peter Springett who wasn’t good enough to keep out 2 goals when the Iron won at Hillsborough in 1970.

Iron-awe
    Participant

Great you tube clip Ferrite, thanks for that, Charlton was brilliant with both feet, those two were cracking left footers and I remember his right foot thunderbolt against Mexico in the 1966 World Cup group game. What a brilliant player he was and an England team mate of Bonnetti also.

Foxstreetfiveseven
    Participant
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 306

Famous story about Gary Sprake in the 60’a playing for Leeds at Liverpool, he was about to throw a ball out to a team mate, got it all wrong and virtually threw the ball into his own net for a Liverpool goal. At half time the norm in those days was to play popular music in the interval and the tune played that day was Careless Hands by Des O’Connor, the Scousers always claimed it was sheer coincidence, really, Scousers, coincidence? Nice one Scousers.

Aye, that was a cracker from Sprake. The ball seemed to just stick to his hand.Can’t remember if he was wearing gloves. Don’t recall a bigger gaffe from a keeper but I may stand corrected.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.