Home Forums The New Blast Furnace RIP Iron?

THE-99%
    Topics: 890
    Replies: 4234

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8396

If our club goes to the wall there will be others go with us, probably our neighbours for one.

scunnypete
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 160

4 months ago a lot of us was saying how stupid it was that 16 players were out of contract at the end of this season. League football I feel won’t start again until at least August because of crowd gatherings. Premier league can survive because of the tv deal that looked after themselves, I remember the allams response to proposed stay away protest was that gate income amounted to 3% of all income while they was up there. SUFC will survive because of the lack of contracts to pay but if as many as 10 go to the wall what would happen to the leagues? It may become unviable to play a league.
    How is Peter Swann finding it hard to get a response from EFL? He employs someone high up in the board rooms. Must be the same as here, when theres work to be done and decisions to be made he hides

2 users thanked author for this post.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3006

I agree with ScunnyPete, the Football League is in a real mess, the Premier will be ok, but many of League One & Two clubs just do not have the money coming into their clubs to allow them to carry a professional squad of over 25 players, not on todays silly salary.

In my opinion, and I have sais so for years, the big problem at Scunthorpe and probably a few other clubs, is the vast number of non-playing staff that the club employs, there is a manager and assistant manager, team coaches and goalkeeping coaches, trainers, fitness teams for all three teams, the office is full of staff, why the hell they need so many is plain crackers.

The answer is for the Premier and Championship players earning over a certain minimum wage (lets say £5,000per week) to have 30% of the remainder with held and directed to the pay packets of League 1 and 2 players, but we know that because of their greed, this will never happen, leaving the only other ending, a lot of clubs will fold.

1 user thanked author for this post.

scunnypete
    Participant

The swann haters will be asking why he doesn’t throw the money in himself, I’m sure he would until june 30th if he could but EFL have been so silent that it not questioned 1st it could breach FFP rules which the club was already on borderline with. Where is the invisible man when hes needed, £200k per annum to have him on board to keep swann in the loop and he cant be found anywhere, self isolation for best part of 5 years
    Are certain fans still going to be saying all investment should be into the team and forget other possible income investments?

BadApple
    Participant
    Topics: 148
    Replies: 2127

My prediction:

We will lose 2 or 3 Prem clubs – 8 or 9 Championship, 11-12 L1 and over half of the L2 clubs.

I don’t think SUFC will survive the cull. Add on FlatsGate plus LakesGate I suspect there is one person who knows exactly how he is going to exit this lockdown.

More out of town shopping anyone?

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4184

Well apart from all the above everything is going to be ok after all. That’s a relief I was getting really worried for a moment!!!

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8396

I could see a lot of League 1 and 2 teams going part time next season, that’s if they survive.

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2400

If I were a player, I wouldn’t accept Swann’s proposal. A wage deferral would be one thing but at our level, I’m not sure how many players could afford to lose that sort of money for an open-ended period of time.

Ferrite
    Participant

My prediction:

We will lose 2 or 3 Prem clubs – 8 or 9 Championship, 11-12 L1 and over half of the L2 clubs.

I don’t think SUFC will survive the cull. Add on FlatsGate plus LakesGate I suspect there is one person who knows exactly how he is going to exit this lockdown.

More out of town shopping anyone?

2 to 3 Prem Clubs? Which ones? Almost all have owners wealthy enough to ride out the storm.

The bigger challenge will be whether those owners still want to be involved when some sort of normality returns because I suspect that there will be less money in the game and, therefore, less money for people to cream off it.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 772

That £11million loan to Coolsilk May be substantially larger this time next year.

The breaking point for most involved will be the end of June. Things could turn ugly then.

Ferrite
    Participant

That £11million loan to Coolsilk May be substantially larger this time next year.

The breaking point for most involved will be the end of June. Things could turn ugly then.

Why do you say that? Most clubs have lost 4-5 games’ income, so maybe 20%. That’s a decent chunk but with players out of contract and with clubs not incurring many of their normal costs, then maybe the net impact is less than that. I guess the bigger issue is the loss of season ticket money.

The biggest issue will be the TV money which clubs have come to depend on. I can’t imagine they’ll see much of that if things don’t restart in the summer.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant

4-5 home gates could well be the straw that breaks the back for a few clubs in league 2 that run on a operating loss all year round.

Gate income still makes up 50% of our income and Season ticket money will be non existent, however Wages/rent/interest etc will still be demanded throughout the summer. I can’t see how any club in league 2 especially can get through this without either having to ask players to forfeit wages or loans provided by directors, forfeiting FFP rules in the process.

Ferrite
    Participant

Gate income still makes up 50% of our income

Not according to the latest accounts, it’s £1m out of £3.6m, so about 27%. Significant but not half though obviously the numbers might be different in a lower league.

Wages/rent/interest etc will still be demanded throughout the summer. I can’t see how any club in league 2 especially can get through this without either having to ask players to forfeit wages or loans provided by directors, forfeiting FFP rules in the process.

I don’t know all the ins & outs but aren’t there a number of initiatives to help smaller businesses, like rent holidays, repayment holidays, etc. offered by the government to try to stop bankcruptcies?

I’m not saying it’ll be easy, far from it, and the game as a whole could & should be doing a lot more to help but I don’t see why the players at our level should be the ones to bear the brunt. They’re well paid but they’re not particularly rich and many of them could be out of work in a couple of months and others will be retiring in their 30s with no immediate career options.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant

Directly through gate receipts; meanwhile you still have £750,000 through advertising, sponsorship, merchandise etc. I don’t know where legally clubs will stand on that having empty stadiums. Regardless, it will be a high enough percentage to see a good number of clubs go bust.

I don’t know the ins and outs of the schemes available but it’s going to get to a point where somebody is going to need paying and there won’t be money available to do so

scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Topics: 78
    Replies: 1670

I think this mess has just been the cherry on the cake for what has been a shambolic farce of 2years. I think if mr wharton was still around i imagine everyone including players and staff would be wanting to help the club out in anyway possible…just my thoughts.

5 users thanked author for this post.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3006

The main factor with Scunthorpe Utd is, that even with money from home gates, we were informed the club was losing £70,000 per week, so without money even from our small gates, this figure is even larger, I cannot see how we can come through this!! We were in dire trouble before this virus started.

SouthYorksIron
    Participant
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7

Three quotes (two from Mr. Swann, the other from a respected sports finance journalist) and a fact; I offer no comment:

“If we can suspend players wages we give ourselves a fighting chance of survival, if we can get a 50% reduction in wages and utilise the furlough scheme we can maybe just get through the next few months, that however is easier said than done and what of next season?”

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-04-16/football-league-club-chairman-efl-must-suspend-player-wages/

“In Leagues One and Two, a “salary cost management protocol” limits wage spending, to 60% of turnover in League One, 50% in League Two, but owners are allowed to put in unlimited extra money as “football fortune” money, which can all be spent on wages.”

Review into Bury’s demise offers painful reminder of the need …www.theguardian.com › football › mar › review-bury-…

“We’re fortunate that regardless of everything we’re still a well-run club.”

https://www.scunthorpe-united.co.uk/news/2020/january/chairmans-update/

Latest accounts available at Companies House state that wages to turnover %* was 143.0 in the year to June 2019 (up from 137.0 the previous year).

*disregarding “football fortune money”

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 631

swanny is right( of course in my opinion).i have said this before myself.

THE-99%

had he not dug a 15million or so hole in the 1st place he’d be better of

3 users thanked author for this post.

scunnypete
    Participant

Out of the £11 million I wonder how much its costs related to the lakes project and also the redevelopment of the existing stadium (whatever it will be called next season) and how much he expects to recoup from the council?. He can’t win this situation even if a judge was to award the costs back to the club. Losses the legal fight and no returns or wins legal fight and every home in north Lincolnshire suffers because of the payment from council funds.
    I would suggest in this forced time out we have, Swann and Waltham should communicate and forget the past. If Swann is adamant he is staying then he should have a new plan in place for next 3 years but be open and honest. He has to remember that he needs to give his customers what they want or they won’t return

THE-99%

I’d say spending 150% of income in wages alone had more of a say in it ,by a long way

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 249
    Replies: 10997

Swann and Waltham should communicate and forget the past. If Swann is adamant he is staying then he should have a new plan in place for next 3 years but be open and honest.

Is that pig wearing a flying helmet?

THE-99%

“Swann and Waltham should communicate and forget the past.” Why? this personal spat is a sideshow, SUFC put in a planning application and the planning dept deal with it,they don’t need to knowc each other exist .

scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Topics: 78
    Replies: 1670

“Swann and Waltham should communicate and forget the past.” Why? this personal spat is a sideshow, SUFC put in a planning application and the planning dept deal with it,they don’t need to knowc each other exist .

Its what happens when two egos clash… Swanny needs to relise and quick its not all about him before the club is completely ruined and the loyal supporters who have been here well before him and that deputy clown rodders turned up or in rodders case when he feels like it deserve better.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant

League 2 clubs apparently in talks today about voiding the season.

Not sure how this sit with the EFL but the consequences could be shattering further up the pyramid.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we start seeing some parachute payments land at our feet to keep the season going.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.