Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Retained list, when it comes out

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8396

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/scunthorpe-peter-swann-players-contracts-4075804

I think everyone was expecting the high earners to go with having a younger team next season, also with Rodwell going it will free up a high wage as well seeing the new CEO already works her but will probably get a rise and I doubt she will be replaced, but hopefully the weak links in the squad who are out of contract go as well and we have a fresh start, I am also expecting Russ will stay in charge but I don’t like his boring type of football but I expect Swann will not want to spend a fortune on another higher profile manager to fall out with and sack in a few months time.

1 user thanked author for this post.

ironking
    Participant
    Topics: 63
    Replies: 310

Mick during this Covid-19 period me and the Mrs have been walking quite a lot, the other day i passed Glanford Park.

2 things struck me with the wrap around picture :-

a) We are still celebrating a period that was 10-15 years ago and the players from that era.

b) The success of that era was the spine of Musselwhite, Crosby, Barraclough and Torpey.

So while its there in our face, seemingly we learned nothing from our slice of success!

2 users thanked author for this post.

DarrynStampGoalMachine
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 547

b) The success of that era was the spine of Musselwhite, Crosby, Barraclough and Torpey.

This is the absoloute key!

The first 3 at least. Not to diminish what Torps did but it’s a less important need for me.

Mussy, Crosby & Bara absoloutley turned us around and were the foundation of what we acheived. It’s why I (wrongly) thought Butty was such a great signing last year.

We can do well with kids if they are good enough as long as we have this experienced spine.

We have to sign an experienced keeper. We need to keep McCarlde for a year on less money or replace him and we desperately need a Bara/Bish type cm which has been painfully obvious to everyone since Bish left.

We get those 3 we can have some success with an otherwise young squad.

If we don’t then it’s another season of just hoping there’s 2 worse than us.

5 users thanked author for this post.

alcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 171
    Replies: 4094

Assuming all 23 or 24 teams in our division, not to mention the one above us, can make it through a full season.

Any more dropouts….and I’d not rule it out, would see us saved again.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 281
    Replies: 6266

There will be a lot on it that is for sure. But that will be at every club after the lockdown.

Wages will take a real hit for players and hopefully clubs will operate within their means.

THE-99%
    Topics: 890
    Replies: 4234

Does anyone detect panic in Swanns every statement? I find it odd that we’ve been losing 4-5 million a year and no panic, now this 1.3m estimated hit is causing all sorts of staements about,the league,the players, contracts,the PFA etc . .It’s not adding up . He’s even talking to the Telegraph.I am worried

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8396

It might be more when is it going to end, if games are to played behind closed doors and the Restaurant is closed there is no money coming in and supporters are being cautious about renewing season ticket tickets so he is right to be worried, some clubs will be in a worse position than us but it is going to be difficult for all Sports as well as it is for everybody else at the moment.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3006

Does anyone detect panic in Swanns every statement? I find it odd that we’ve been losing 4-5 million a year and no panic, now this 1.3m estimated hit is causing all sorts of staements about,the league,the players, contracts,the PFA etc . .It’s not adding up . He’s even talking to the Telegraph.I am worried

We stand to lose 1.3 million, yes but that is on top of the normal yearly loss THE-99%.

billpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Topics: 509
    Replies: 4040

FANS64-“I am worried.”- right-ho!!

alcazar
    Participant
    Topics: 171
    Replies: 4094

As I think I’ve pointed out before: losing support and supporters is dead easy.
    Getting them back, or replacing them is very, very difficult indeed.

Maybe the panic is due to the FACT that he and his son have p*sesed off a lot of people over these last three years, and after this enforced layoff, many just might have come to the conclusion that their money is better spent elsewhere. There there can be life without football.

And when your customers are gone, what then?

1 user thanked author for this post.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

Maybe the panic is due to the FACT that he and his son have p*sesed off a lot of people over these last three years,

Yeah but thats unjustified, its just fans moaning about nothing rmember?

DarrynStampGoalMachine
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 547

Not fans Pat, Morons remember!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.