Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 249
    Replies: 10997

lesgeo
    Participant
    Topics: 188
    Replies: 1911

Nothing too much to complain about but I have not forgotten that Olomola, Rory Watson and Colclough are still under contract.
    Interesting to see that the often injured Jordan Hallam had his option taken up.
    We now must have: a reliable goalkeeper, a third CB, a Neil Bishop-type experienced CM grafter and a giant, experienced thug for up front.
    There is then a semblance of balance in the squad.

3 users thanked author for this post.

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8396

I can’t see us signing another keeper seeing we have 3, but we can always hope, but I can see us being a possible bottom 4 team especially if we don’t make a few decent signings, but am only expecting kids on loan.

vader
    Participant
    Topics: 9
    Replies: 140

Does this mean that the club have conceded that the season is over?

If we do have to play out the remaining games can we only use the players remaining in contract?

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 179
    Replies: 3739

I think (not a fact by any means) that contracts normally run to the end of June.

1 user thanked author for this post.

mistertonmick
    Participant

Andy Butler said ot twitter he will give 100% if matches are resumed.

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3006

I can’t see us signing another keeper seeing we have 3, but we can always hope, but I can see us being a possible bottom 4 team especially if we don’t make a few decent signings, but am only expecting kids on loan.

Mick, you say that we have 3 GK, but we do not have an experienced one, and don’t forget that we have two GK coaches, so Mussy will take two and there is only one left for Pressy.

bartonscorpion
    Participant

I cannot see a lot wrong with the retained list, it is about what was expected and none of the leaving players are worth keeping on, I like Clarke, but his injury record is far to poor to keep him on.

mistertonmick
    Participant

It’s having 3 inexperienced keepers I’m concerned about, two without a league start and the other who hasn’t improved enough over 2 seasons and makes the same mistakes on a regular basis.
    When you consider Muzzy was a top keeper in the lower leagues and Pressman was a England International and top flight keeper you would have thought they would have improved him.

scunnypete
    Participant
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 160

I still dont see why 2 goal keeping coaches are employed for 3 keepers. I’m sure there will be conflicting training regimes between them. Another saving could of been had by releasing one of them. I couldn’t even credit any of them with Gilks ability, he already had it

5 users thanked author for this post.

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 276
    Replies: 5062

Looks OK — goodness knows what’s going to happen in any event, but some decent players in there.

lesgeo
    Participant

There will be many decent players without a club who will suddenly be happy to take £40k a year.
    All the better National League players who have had genuine ambitions may yet be added to the list.
    There will still be silly salaries but these will be reduced to not-quite-so-silly and their numbers will plummet.
    Facing bankruptcy and/or loss of league status will ‘concentrate the mind wonderfully’.

No reason at all why we should not have a decent squad in our Brave, Post-Covid, New World.

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2400

I find it slightly odd that we didn’t offer any reduced terms to any of the squad. Either none of them were deemed worthy of a new contract (unlikely) or the impact of the current crisis is really biting. Which is understandable, I can see why the club wouldn’t want to commit to any further costs given all the uncertainty.

Les might have a point too, clearly the club is trying to bring down the budget and this might be the right combination of circumstances to do so without weakening the squad so much. If everyone is cutting wages, then that should make it more of a club’s market rather than a player’s market.

lesgeo
    Participant

I saw the merest hint of a suggestion somewhere that we might yet return to some of those released.
    If there is any truth in that at all – it would make you wonder whether reduced contracts have not been offered at all, at this point.
    It might not be the worst tactic by the club. Wrongfoots those who perhaps expected a reduced offer and propels them into being more interested in a lower offer still.
    It also buys time to have a good forage around to see if there are better available elsewhere.

Ferrite
    Participant

Time will tell, Les.

I’d have thought, however, that the club might have considered offering reduced terms with a “COVID clause” whereby players get a small stipend until such time as football returns, or something like that. Maybe they did consider it. Maybe the PFA wouldn’t accept such contracts. As you say, there’s nothing stopping us offering a contract to any of those players at some point in the future.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 281
    Replies: 6266

Released list not too many surprises.

Sutton is the type of battler we need to make a squad. Surprised at Dales & Hallam having options taken up (Hallam – too many injuries.

There is a squad there but do we have a person who can manage them to succeed ?

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 772

Not sure on the logic behind Dale; right mid is our strongest area of the team already.

Hallam showed promise towards the end of McCall’s tenure; so will definitely be worth a punt.

Can’t imagine there was much money left in the pot to strengthen prior to a Covid-19, so when things do resume I’d expect minimal transfer activity. There’s going to pressure on this young squad.

mistertonmick
    Participant

I think we accept a reasonable offer for Colclough.

Also I think if a Premier League team comes in for Rory Watson we might consider it, but can’t see a lot of money being available in the Vanarama League next season.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 281
    Replies: 6266

CBRP – accept Hallam has the ability but the injuries, just 1 after the other.

There are going to be a lot of players released this season and wages will not be what they used to be. If and it is a big IF we do bring in a bit of experience say 30 /31 ish that they get a longer than 2yr deal. Give the player stability and security.

bartonscorpion
    Participant

Now that the playing side of the club has been thinned out by a large number of squad players, the time is right for the same brush to do a quick sweep of the non playing side of the club, by shedding a few of the manager/assistants, coaches and fitness/medical staff, you do not want to carry a big fitness team, because the club appear to opperate a system where the players inform the club if they want to play!!
    Even though there are many club things that are poorly managed, there seems to be many office staff managers overseeing the items.

2 users thanked author for this post.

IronIronIron
    Participant
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 1188

Sadly, that would not be enough to allow him on to the pitch.

He should never have been brought back to the club.

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 276
    Replies: 5062

What’s the latest on loan players? Anyone know?

bartonscorpion
    Participant

I think that their contracts will also be ended on 30th June, another waste of good money thrown away, only Brown cane up to requirements.

DarrynStampGoalMachine
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 547

Miller goes down in the history books alongside Tomi Ameobi.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

I think thats very harsh, the vast majority of supporters thought he was a very good signing at the time (myself included), I honestly thought his was going to be the Andy Crosby of 2019/20, unfortunately we were all wrong.

4 users thanked author for this post.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

I still dont see why 2 goal keeping coaches are employed for 3 keepers. I’m sure there will be conflicting training regimes between them. Another saving could of been had by releasing one of them. I couldn’t even credit any of them with Gilks ability, he already had it

Mussy also does a lot with the development teams, I have seen him training with them many times at St Lawrences.

Square Ball Bullimore
    Participant
    Topics: 14
    Replies: 236

Have any other league 2 clubs released their retained list yet, or are Scunthorpe a little early?

Ferrite
    Participant

Col U have released some of their first teamers for similar reasons:

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/52445132

IronIronIron
    Participant
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 1188

I think thats very harsh, the vast majority of supporters thought he was a very good signing at the time (myself included), I honestly thought his was going to be the Andy Crosby of 2019/20, unfortunately we were all wrong.

Pat, I know that a lot of people thought he would do a good job. I was one of those who said he would be a waste of space. I took a lot of stick for saying it at the time, but I was correct, for once.

A good friend at Donny told me that his legs had gone, which was what I thought the last time I saw him. Despite his endeavour he is not the player he was.

We need to stop wanting “old” players back. It very rarely pans out for us.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.