Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Lol, deflect. Nice move.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

I don’t know about the cult page as I can’t access it, but most fans on here, other than you 414, seem to be pretty realistic about the signings. Between Swann and Hilton the club has been run into the deep brown stuff and the fact it still exists and has a fighting chance of beginning a comeback is something that all genuine fans will be thankful for and if some of the players are young lads then so be it for as long as it’s necessary.
    I’m with Deerey that a rat is smelt and that if you’re not Hilton then you are some Cod troll or other entity stirring the pot. I suspect you possibly are Hilton, if so well done on keeping a lid on your posts and not descending into some club killers rant.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

For someone supposedly deeply concerned about our finances, players leaving, new recruits, Turnball, Roberts, the Board (yes, giveth with one hand, takes away with the other), etc, our fairly new Bru member seems to be quite enjoying his or her self! Just an observation. I personally welcome 414s views, particularly during silly season.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Now half way tru July and still all quiet on the signings front … the silence is deafening…circa 26 days until KO away against Brackley.

Tad surprised at the lack of recruitment action .. squad very light on numbers bearing in mind the injury prone and suspensions that are bound to happen.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Welcome to year two in the National League North!

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Tad surprised at the lack of recruitment action

Has been hinted that next signing will be coming from trialists. Is Butler wanting to see more of them or are we currently working on deals with them ?

If that is indeed the case, we need to get a bloody move on.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

If they are training with us already then it’s not such a big deal but they need to be involved in pre season action pretty dam quick and decisions made ASAP.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Abraham, Burden and Rowley have featured in all the games so far, But Hunter was missing last game so not sure if he either picked up an injury or that he decided to move on. Club haven’t said a word. I still think we need a midfield spoiler.

Rowley has looked good so far. Burden and Abraham look good young players. I’ve just remembered Keenan Ferguson who played first game with us who’s done a lord lucan, again the club have said nothing.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

The 5 recruited so far

Charton Ubo pleased looks a decent aquisition
    Brogan pleased looks solid and will hopefully score a few from midfield (ala Butterfield)
    Fishy pleased not sure at first but now settling in looking like a good option up front.
    Nicolson pleased great bit of biz IMO solid and long throw merchant.
    Rowley pleased Like the sound of this fella , good comments from Chesterfield fans

Hopefully a couple more to come in as suggested by LT be nice to see one of these a smaller nippy Sharp/HooperESK style striker goal poacher who can finish most chances.

UTI

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

‘Most chances?’
    Er – I recall a game at Stockport where Hooper was set up five times and missed ’em all.
    One in two would be brilliant.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Just looked that up as I was there and thought he scored a brace? He did and McCann got another in a 3-0 win. Vaguely recall Hooper missed a few other opportunities though.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

ok lets put it another way .. scores as many good clear chances as he misses

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

I still think we need a midfield destroyer/spoiler. Apart from Clunan who’s not overly physical anyway, who have we got in that bracket ?

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

We already have potentially up to 7 centre Mids, can’t see the need for anymore or we are back to the usual scenario of overstocking again.

If we was to bring in one more, I’d prefer to see the forward line strengthened as one injury up there leaves us thin on the ground.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Butler has indicated a willingness to play Beestin as a striker which he is comfortable with. Already having Whitehall, Carlton & Fishburn I reckon another forward might not be his priority.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

My worry is that in the friendlies so far I’m not seeing too many convincing wing backs.

Given we have potentially 3 left backs, 1 right back and 2 wingers on the books but the only one that’s looked promising in the position is Scales who is primarily a midfielder.

Appreciate Kelly yet to appear and Denton and Barrows (who I assume will be first choice) may get better with practice but I think goals might be hard to come by if those 2 are our wide attacking threats.

Of course we would score if you played Roberts and Law at wing back but the back 3 would be busy.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Appreciate Kelly yet to appear and Denton and Barrows (who I assume will be first choice) may get better with practice but I think goals might be hard to come by if those 2 are our wide attacking threats.

I think Scales will be first choice for the RWB position and probably Denton for the left, but Law has done well so far and obviously offers more going forward than Denton. I wouldn’t be too surprised if Law started and we had him and Scales on either side. I should think Denton would be ahead of him though.

Ross as back up to Scales plus he can play at CB. LWB we have Denton, Kelly and Law. I can’t see Kelly suiting that role personally as he wasn’t the most expansive LB to begin with.

I agree with cassidy on the striker positions, carlton and whitehall will be first choice. Fishburn looks a more than handy targetman option and Beestin when he’s played up there has played in a no 10 link role and has looked good.

Best we could hope for is a promising youngster but even then they would be bench warming as carlton and whitehall will be starting most weeks when fit. I still personally think we need a midfield spoiler for balance, if we lose Clunan we’re screwed as he’s the only real defensive midfielder we have.

Beestin will be a striker and Scales will be wing back so leaves us with 5 in total and 4 are either box to box or attacking mid players.

Participant

It’s one thing stating Beestin will play as a striker, but it’s another thing seeing him perform there convincingly when it’s not his natural position- square pegs and round holes.

I presume Carlton and Whitehall will start, but one injury leaves us playing a lad with hardly any experience or another who has spent his career playing in the middle.

I certainly don’t think bringing another body, whether it be a loan etc, will do us any harm

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

£££££££££££££££££ Cliff!!

Participant

Turnbull did state there was room for 1 or 2 more on Humberside last week.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Just in case any members on here dont bother withe the SUFC Fans FB group

Interested in the POSSIBLE starting 11 come Aug 10th … whats your predicted line up ?????

OPINION: Summer Musings

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Shocked by young Braithwaite. Looked poor game before but looked a really good young player when he came on and what a strike for his goal. Cliff, I fully understand what you’re saying regarding Beestin, but Butler will play him slightly off a main striker in a no 10 role to link play a bit. Beestin when played up top in pre season so far has been played in that way and Butler commented on it in a recent post match interview.

I wouldn’t play him as a main striker by any means but playing him a tad deeper linking up with The fish, Carlton or Whitehall, I think he’d do more than ok and has looked pretty good linking play up while playing as a striker so far.

Scales looks better at RWB than he did in CM. Yes, I know the teams have been lower quality, but he looks to have taken to the position really well. I don’t think we’ll really miss Butterfield all that much as Brogan looks good to score a fair few this season. Carlton looks sharp. Rowley looks really neat and tidy too in CM.

Looks promising.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

According to Butler on radio Humberside last night, the latest is –

Fitzsimons staying (at least Butler and Fitz haven’t been told otherwise).
    Braithwaite, they like him and he’s got another trial game with us at the weekend.
    Abraham, is a possibility but he has also has a trial game at Gainsborough.
    Hunter, has a trial at an efl club and offer in Ireland so won’t be signing.
    Burden, trials at other clubs and Gainsborough, Butler says they are helping him get another club.
    Ferguson, enough cover in his position and no place for him since Nicholson signed so won’t be staying.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

TJO – well edited. With Burden & Abraham suspect we may be keeping our eye on them for the future

Also the consideration of a 3rd keeper.- Kian Johnson.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Thanks for this. Had missed the interview so good to have a summary and some reassurance that Fitzsimons isn’t leaving. Can’t see why we need 3 GK’s though, we didn’t even have 3 last season.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Butler said it was to take the work load off the other two when it comes to mini games e.t.c. Campbell will be doing most of the other stuff that’s non first team but Fitz would also have to chip in which increases his chances of picking up an injury. Sounds like Butler wants to save him primarily for 1st team duties and have young Johnson to come in and work alongside Campbell to do the other stuff.

I suspect this may have something to do with Fitz only having a year left on his contract and if we don’t go up this season he may end up moving on.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

IMO with so much talk re the budget and how tight things are to have 3 keepers in a 20 man NLN squad is just not necessary. Last season we only had one keeper for spells and when we did have 2 the second wasnt even on the subs bench.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Participant

The justification for a 3rd keeper was mind boggling tbh, didn’t make much sense .

4 users thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Sounded to me like code for we are trying to offload Fitz but we haven’t told him yet and we don’t want to piss him off in case we can’t get someone to pick up the 2 grand a week.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Was told last season Fitz was Scunnys most fined player, having said that the same person said Bishop was getting the manager job.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.