Recruitment

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Recruitment

• Author
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

If we cant be more than sustainable with gates averaging more than 4000 there’s something wrong and we may as well chuck it in.
    There’s no reason at all we cant have a playing budget equal to a bottom half div 2 team it’s not on the fans to pay any debt that is left though according to Michelle is very little anyway. Most of the team we have weren’t good enough last season so what makes WG believe they will be this season I just don’t know, I hope he’s right and Butler is a mystro lets face it if Southgate can turn premier league players into looking like non leaguers Butler might do the opposite.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

The very same people who were moaning we were spending too much money who kept droning on about us not being sustainably run are the same old miserable whining pillocks, who are now moaning that we’re cost cutting and the standard of players we’re signing aren’t comparable with last season.

They fall into three groups on here.

The ones who were concerned about how long an owner who was prepared to offer lots of money to his pub team manager and how long it would last.
    The ones who were concerned but prepared to go with the flow.
    The ones who could be bought with a Bacon cob and a cup of tea or a reduced price Sunday Dinner.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

What’s a ‘mystro’ awaywego? A car?

WG, You can’t put awaywego in the moaning about not being sustainable and not spending enough. He’d rather we spent bigger and faster than a binman who’s won the lottery.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Well that was the week that was, 1 player in and 3 non players ‘really’ even then the player in will only be a bench warmer (hopefully). Imo they should have held back their marquee signings back.

Which Marquee signings were those AWG? Surely Max & Fish aren’t our idea of marquees now? They are bench players at best. Our most impressive signing thus far is the pie man from Hull.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Well that was the week that was, 1 player in and 3 non players ‘really’ even then the player in will only be a bench warmer (hopefully). Imo they should have held back their marquee signings back.

Which Marquee signings were those AWG? Surely Max & Fish aren’t our idea of marquees now? They are bench players at best. Our most impressive signing thus far is the pie man from Hull.

Hang on a minute 414 .. no no no i wont have that !! we havent tried his pies yet..

I think our markee signing was Charlton long name .. i predict him to do well .

As per my earlier post re Abo Eisa joining Nong Bua Ptchaya in the TPL .. im fully expecting Paul Huest to be named their new manager in the coming days 5555555

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Probably best to see these lads play a game or two before we write them off.

Equally probably should try a pie or two before we judge the new head of catering and hospitality.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Hang on a minute 414 .. no no no i wont have that !! we havent tried his pies yet..

You’re right IFA… I shall try said pies and report back… however he does come with a proven track record, a stellar reputation and high praise from his last club… which is more than can be said for our most recent signings!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Anyone would think they had bad reputations with no potential the downer you have on them 414

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Well the last time the pies were in house they were your normal bog standard sort Deerey.
    If we can attract a chef hopefully he can make his own, well at least one variety.
    Not like he won’t have time on his hands.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Don’t start on about the quality of the pies.

We’ll have Bucksiron back!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Well I don’t think Pat O’Cake’s coming back. Still looking for those toys he threw out the pram.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Talking of ‘Pat’ Deerey, an approach to ilkeston wouldn’t go a miss lol.
    Taking of ilkeston thought that would be a annual friendly, what happened there then.
    Answers only on a postcard please.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Get him on the blower. You not got his number anymore?

No one is talking about Ilkeston. Just you and Skillington maybe

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Crikey you know our business has been underwhelming when pie quality is the topic of conversation on the recruitment thread. Hopefully we will be serving up some ‘custard pies’ soon… to our so called trialists.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Crikey you know our business has been underwhelming when pie quality is the topic of conversation on the recruitment thread. Hopefully we will be serving up some ‘custard pies’ soon… to our so called trialists.

Well you could certainly stand in as Coco the Clown to do the pie throwing, based on some of your contributions so far on this forum.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Well you could certainly stand in as Coco the Clown to do the pie throwing, based on some of your contributions so far on this forum.

Happily do so if it means ‘pieing off’ the bin dippers!

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Who do you think are ‘bin dippers’?

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Im assuming 414 refers to the apparent lack of any real quality with the current crop of talent on trial .. he may have a point as a mate of mine turned up at AAGP for some top soil and was ammediately taken on trial as cover for the constantly injured Law and Roberts .. suffice to say he declined as he has an allotment to take care of… and hes 63 years old.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

All of them barring Hunter. I’m assuming (hoping!) they are just here to make up the numbers in training and so we can do 11 v 11, given we only have 18 under contract currently.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I’m sure your complimentary words will encourage them.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

This is before a ball has even been kicked. Iron414, shall we not bother with this season then ?

Iron64iron64
    Participant
    Registered On: December 26, 2013
    Topics: 3

the problem last season was not the players – it was the manager. Hence two teams who on paper we had a better players than were promoted. The players at this level are much of a muchness. It comes down who has a plan than works, players that are fit and carrying out the plan, know how to work the poor refs we have each week. It helps that Butler seems to know this. The plus is that we still players who are a decent for this level. I remain optimistic

4 users thanked author for this post.
    PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 70

Always optimistic.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

It goes without saying that im not happy with Turnbull running (or seems to be) the show.
    I know from what people have said Butler cant speak very well but I like the manager to do all the recruiting and be the front man,don’t get me wrong Turnbull has brought some stars in the past so if he’s found a gem great, but his last few years with Swanny recruiting was disastrous.

Does anyone know what Turnbull actually does? If he’s just assisting with recruitment he’s not doing a very good job. The only decent signing we’ve made is Carlton, and he’s come in via Butler as a former team mate. The scatter gun approach to recruitment during the second half of last season was poor too, bringing in players that Dean clearly didn’t want or intend to play, Leesley, lad from Bradford etc?

Our recruitment under Swann during the latter years was dire to say the least and when you look at the better players we’ve had in recent times they all have links back via the manager. Think Turnbull is riding on the Hooper and Sharp days but those are long gone and his performance recruitment wise has been pretty abysmal for the best part of a decade.

We say Muzzy always manages to avoid the chop but perhaps Turnbull is the turd that won’t flush? He’s been a constant throughout the downward trajectory we’ve been on for the last 6 years, barring his short spell at Bradford where he flopped and was sacked after 10 months. He was also right hand man to both Swanny and WHAM, yet all is forgiven?

He must be commanding a fair salary too. With Andy’s connections within football and the board running the business side of things is Turnbull really bringing anything to the table? A new broom sweeps clean and hopefully it sweeps in Turnbull direction soon and we can redirect his salary back to the playing budget.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

You’re on a role today and then some 414. Is there anybody at the club you haven’t got it in for?

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron414Iron414
    Participant

I’ve not ‘got it in for’ anyone Deerey but as in any job, a club employee should be judged on performance. The board have done a sterling job of securing the club, the ground, clearing debt and taking care of the business side of things. Glyn is seemingly doing a lot of great work with the sponsorships and generating revenue through those avenues. I’m just not seeing what value Turnbull adds but if you know otherwise please enlighten me? If a player had performed poorly for the last 8 years would we keep resigning him again and again? If we had spare cash to splash maybe we could afford to carry the salaries of people who aren’t contributing but for me Turnbull isn’t bringing enough to the table to justify what is no doubt a sizeable salary.

IronIronIronIronIronIron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 6

So Iron414, you trust the board to make decisions on every subject EXCEPT recruitment, and with very little day to day knowledge (if any) of what Turnbull actually does, you’ve decided he should go.

Personally, I’d rather trust the Board on recruitment than a self-centred fan who thinks he knows a lot more than anyone else.

FWIW I don’t know exactly what Turnbull does either.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

I certainly trust that the board have all the business side of things taken care of, after all they are successful business people. That doesn’t mean that they are exempt from making mistakes and none of them have much experience in running a football club. Take the pitch hire for example. Having to cancel the Bradford friendly and the loss of income that game would have generated vs the small amount we generated through pitch hire which delayed starting the renovations sooner. As a club we probably called that one wrong but after everything Michelle and the board have done they can be afforded a few mistakes. Maybe they see something in Turnbull or maybe he’s going to unearth some gems this season. But if his performance doesn’t improve with regards to recruitment and whilst we’re clearing house I personally would like to see the last of the Swann / WHAM era with his departure.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

As I said in another post 414, you clearly have a narrative. If you don’t realise seasoned posters on here won’t twig something’s fishy about at least one strain of negativity or doubt sewing in almost all your posts, you must think we’re mugs. Just my opinion.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

Is questioning Lee Turnbull’s contribution to our club really that negative? Given there’s been no football to discuss recently all the discussion is centred around recruitment which most fans in both here and the ‘cult page’ have found to be rather disappointing. Maybe you have a narrative or motive given you are so positive about our recruitment. Are you Mr Turnbull himself? Tell me, do you think our recruitment has been good in the last 6 years?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.