Recruitment

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Recruitment

• Author
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Every generation of footy fans has it’s idiots and the Iron are no exception, most of the culprits will probably be laughing about it all it’s the usual case unfortunately. What’s the old saying about can’t put an old head on young shoulders, applies to every generation growing up.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Good to see a back up keeper signed- think that takes us up to about 18 in total.

Defensive cover definitely needed for RB/CB

Other 2/3 players dependant on the formation.

According to the FB group, Out of the 6 trialists, 3 have been possibly been identified as: Keenan Ferguson, Ash Hunter and Liam Ravenhill.

I’m sure Hunter had a few impressive displays against us during our league one days.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

Never mind the FB group, SST has told us already.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

No number 2 or 11 allocated in the squad numbers.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Reserved for Butlers 2 specified targets?

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

I think his specified targets are the ones already signed? According to Lee Turnbull’s interview last week we were announcing a keeper imminently (hello Maison) and then would be looking at trialists and a couple of loans. No mention of any more targets. The level of quality of some of the identified trialists really highlights the market we are now shopping in. I’d personally rather see us bring in one player with some quality, that we can get excited about, than 2-3 bargain bucket players. Even if that means relying more heavily on the loan market to cover injury’s.

IronfanIronfan
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 2

Points deduction Lol. Massive pitch invasion at Chesterfield v Oldham including a mass brawl £5000 fine lets not get carried away.

Don’t be flippant. A fine of any amount will be a kick in the teeth for fans who have voluntarily given up their time to help the club and made donations large and small

2 users thanked author for this post.
    NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Awaywego can pay it out of his loose change!

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Maybe the same fans could offer to pay the fine if there is one.
    Goes without saying they won’t get a penny out of me.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

Maybe the same fans could offer to pay the fine if there is one.
    Goes without saying they won’t get a penny out of me.

Of course you won’t but you’ll happily continue to brown nose the fans responsible for causing said fines. Your a strange guy indeed.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Brown nosing fans I’m big on that lol.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

after a few sherberts and a roll in the hay downtown i have woken uoto the fact that mu beloved SUFC is pretty much fooked n will be in NKL at least another 3 to 5 yrs ..
    IMO the squad will be way lighter on quality the last term , others teams a lot stronger than last term.. its mid table DEEREY at best ..sorry.. oh and these so called trialts WGs refers to do look like bin dippers

not doomed but NO way promotion ..

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Pleased for your new found clarity IRONFROMAFAR. ‘Not doomed’…just ‘pretty much fooked’.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

The way I see it we lost an OK right back and have a replacement arguably more suited to the league we are in
    (stronger in the air in both boxes).

OK we have lost the best footballing midfielder in the division but he did struggle when man marked and pretty much stopped us playing with a high intensity in midfield.

Otherwise all other first choices are here.

We were no fitter last season than the part time teams. Butler seems determined to change that which will help greatly.

We also had a manager with little tactical nous. If Butler and Schofield have any idea then surely that will help. If a couple of our signings work out well my glass is half full.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

A better organised and fitter squad could count for a lot. Perhaps a little ‘lighter’ on paper but a fat lot of good having a better squad on paper did us last season. Key will be working better as a team and there’s no reason to suggest that the management team can’t get the best from them, particularly as many now know each much better.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Butterfield will be a miss but as mention above, he was quickly nullified by way less talented players with more energy. Ogle was solid but his final ball into the box was awful and defending at times wasn’t great to say the least.

I suspect Butler and Schofield will have more nous then Jimmy, who reminded me of a low league Southgate. Butler has already said we’re to play with two up top which is better right from the off.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

We had better quality players than Tamworth, they won the league easily. This could suggest that, in this league, quality isn’t the only answer in the search for success.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

The lottery of which ref you get being another factor!

2 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

The lottery of which ref you get being another factor!

I’d settle for that Portuguese ref who took charge of Austria v Turkey the other night, more like him please absolutely outstanding compared to the dross in this country.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I predict another season of ‘blame the ref’ when we lose or draw; conveniently forget or ignore them when we win.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

I’m in very regular touch with a retired pro ref who has seen the Iron more than a few times.
    His comments on the quality of reffing in this division are very often harsher than what our fans write.
    We all see the ‘big decisions’ but he sees ALL the things which refs should and should not do.
    He tends to be regularly horrified.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Apart from the bozo away at Spennymoor the refereeing was incompetent and inconsistent rather than anything sinister.

Biggest issue for me is how easy it is to buy a free kick whilst at the same time deliberately disruptive petty fouls go unnoticed or unpunished.

This is why anti football tactics still work and are fairly widely used at this level whilst it’s much less prevalent in the EFL these days. In the Premier League it’s gone which is the biggest single benefit of VAR (arguably the only benefit).

At least part of the reason why quality alone isn’t guaranteed to bring success.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Kieth Alexander not happy with our club over the cancellation of the Bradford game, said our club just rung up with a matter of fact conversation just calling the game off, no offer of a different date or moving it to Bradford.
    That’s no way to treat other teams especially ex managers, always useful to keep in with them re friendlies and loan players. Reporter said he was fuming as they’d only agreed to move the kickoff time the week before at Scunthorpes bequest and no inkling given at that time.

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

Kieth Alexander not happy with our club over the cancellation of the Bradford game, said our club just rung up with a matter of fact conversation just calling the game off, no offer of a different date or moving it to Bradford.
    That’s no way to treat other teams especially ex managers, always useful to keep in with them re friendlies and loan players. Reporter said he was fuming as they’d only agreed to move the kickoff time the week before at Scunthorpes bequest and no inkling given at that time.

I assume you mean Graham Alexander.
    However, this was reported on the Scunthorpe website.
    Someone’s telling porkies.

With that in mind, a difficult decision has been taken to withdraw from the friendly with the Bantams to allow the pitch to continue with its progress unchallenged for an additional two weeks. Unfortunately, a reversal of the fixture is also not possible, with Bradford’s pitch also not set to be ready by this date.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

If you review some of the videos of goals conceded Mr Ogle was at times slow to react when defending.

We still have no no.2 so I expect a RB is possible before season start.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Yes awaywego, let’s take ‘Keith’ Alexander’s word for it, distrust our own club’s version of events and use it as another stick to beat it with. Like a stuck record

3 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

I assume you mean Graham Alexander.
    However, this was reported on the Scunthorpe website.
    Someone’s telling porkies.

With that in mind, a difficult decision has been taken to withdraw from the friendly with the Bantams to allow the pitch to continue with its progress unchallenged for an additional two weeks. Unfortunately, a reversal of the fixture is also not possible, with Bradford’s pitch also not set to be ready by this date.

Awaywego will say it’s Scunny telling porkies. He doesn’t trust anyone from the club unless they’re a convicted fraudster and serial liar.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

Ironies abound

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Lets see do I believe a club who are renound for telling porkies down the years or Kieth lol) Graham Alexander in his interview.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Why, does he have an undisputed reputation as ‘Honest Keith’?

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.