Recruitment

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Recruitment

• Author
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

One of biggest problems other than recruitment in recent years has been the size of the squad, how are young lads like Pugh/Shrimpton meant to develop when they are dropped for a quarter of the season after one bad game. There is no need for 2/3 players for every position- it’s a modern phenomenon inspired by the premier league which doesn’t marry up with our budgets.

It’s perhaps one of the reasons why so many have stagnated here and gone on to succeed elsewhere in recent years; Bedeau, Cordner, Goode, Rowe etc

2 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

If they’re deemed worthy of a starting spot then why are they coming in on trial as opposed to being signed immediately?

Of course we’ve picked out players who are deemed good enough for a first team slot. I’d rather that than just get any old player here. All we’re doing is running the rule over players who Turnbull and co THINK will be good enough for the first team, but obviously want to know more about them first.

Is that not what inviting trialist players is all about ?

Clubs up and down the country for the most part have been doing that very same thing for years, have they not ?

Also for the fans moaning about us taking old players on trial, Turnbull has said countless times and again the other day that we’re looking for young energetic players as we already have experience at the club.

There will be no players coming here on trial looking for a last pay day. Calm down !

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

If they’re deemed worthy of a starting spot then why are they coming in on trial as opposed to being signed immediately?

Also for the fans moaning about us taking old players on trial, Turnbull has said countless times and again the other day that we’re looking for young energetic players as we already have experience at the club.
    There will be no players coming here on trial looking for a last pay day. Calm down!

Where are the posts moaning about taking old players on trial please.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

Maison Campbell has had his York City contract terminated by mutual consent.

Iron back up keeper perhaps? 20 years old, from Nottingham and probably not too expensive.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Kieth Hill has received is last monthly salary from the club, thanks for nothing Kieth.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Maison Campbell has had his York City contract terminated by mutual consent.
    Iron back up keeper perhaps? 20 years old, from Nottingham and probably not too expensive.

Young, cheap, local and we’ve had a look at him. Ticks all the boxes.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Kieth Hill has received is last monthly salary from the club, thanks for nothing Kieth.

Hope you spelled his name right on the remittance

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Every single month that Hill drew a wage was tantamount to fraud.

Can never be sure if Swann was actually taken in by his obvious bullshit or if he hired him purely to spite us ungrateful fans.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Yes, Cass. But York don’t want him as their third keeper.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

It’s a concern that he’s behind Rory Watson certainly but, at 20, he could get better. (Plus York are a BIG club in a higher league) Mussy’s coaching will turn him into a top keeper just like all the others he’s taught.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Campbell would make sense. We still need 2 or 3 decent signings to have a chance this season. Brackley have made a couple of excellent signings and I think they will be the ones to beat this year. Looking at the teams coming into the league I’m managing my expectations and don’t expect us to make the play offs unless we add some quality, which we know we don’t have the budget for.

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

Who are these excellent signings that Brackley have made then? A guy who’s been injured most of the season from Yeovil and formerly of Hashtag United? A former player re-signing for them from relegated Kidderminster? Or Newport’s reserve keeper who’s played 5 games in 3 years? Wow…amazing business!!

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

‘I’m managing my expectations and don’t expect us to make the play offs’

Not like you to sow the seeds of doubt 414

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Butlers two principal, targetted signings still to come. Next week hopefully.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Butlers two principal, targetted signings still to come. Next week hopefully.

Well CassidysTash July 1st should be the start of several signings. Isn’t this the date when Mr Butlers no.2 starts, then the new keeper follows. For me as early as possible then they are all on the same fitness path.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

The lad from Kidderminster is a very good player at this level and their fans seem excited enough by him. A relegation on the CV doesn’t define a player. Ogle and Butterfield where part of the team that got us relegated the season before last but where still our best players last season and in Butterfield’s case, probably the best player in the league.

Agree the Yeovil lad seems a bit of a punt, nice for them to be in a position to make speculative signings!

The other being their midfielder Bates, technically a resigning but had announced he was leaving at the end of the season and has now signed back citing a ‘change of heart’ another very good player. But more importantly they’ve managed to keep hold of almost all of their key players from last season, where we have lost our 2 best players and another 2 in DSF and Elliott that are excellent at this level. If I where a betting man I’d be lumping on Brackley. Out of interest when do bookies usually release their odds? Be interesting to see where they rank us.

As I said Deerey… managing expectations. That way it hurts less… you should try it!

Cassidy where are you hearing that? I thought we were looking at trialists from here on? I hope you are right.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

I wish I could tell you where, I could have dreamt it but I don’t think so. I’m pretty sure it was in a Butler/Turnbull interview soon after Butler’s appointment.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Just listened to the Butler interview on the 4th of June and says they’ve been highlighted and the players know what we want and are negotiating with them, doesn’t mention numbers but them means more than one.
    First time listening to him and I thought he come across very well and certainly no mumbling and I could here every word he said.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Just listened to the Butler interview on the 4th of June and says they’ve been highlighted and the players know what we want and are negotiating with them, doesn’t mention numbers but them means more than one.
    First time listening to him and I thought he come across very well and certainly no mumbling and I could here every word he said.

Yep agree i thought the AB interview was quite good and much prefer to the fidgeting twitchy JD style…remember him? seems like an age ago he was at the helm.

Really would hope to see some ( A FAIR BIT TO BE HONEST) transfer activity from tomorrow through next week hopefully a couple of decent higher profile signings as well as the AB asst and young keeper who may possible be the lad from York as already mentioned… shame we never landed Robbie Fox as i think we need a young quick smaller striker who can put away the chances created by WH or the new lads Charlton and Fishy.

Need a RB surely ? and winger to cover when Roberts n Law are injured (we know thats coming)

So IMO 3 or 4 more player signings plus the keeper n Asst n we are good to go.

UTI

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

I think the ones being referred to by Butler on the 4th of June are probably the three we’ve already announced. Find it hard to believe we would still be negotiating with the same players a month down the line.

Agree we need a winger or two given the amount of time Robert’s and Law spend on the treatment beds. That is assuming Butler intends to play with wingers. The lack of any signings in that area along with us having 3 very good central defenders, had me wondering if he might go with a 5-3-2 formation. Time will tell.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

Hoping for a positive England performance and result today followed by a plethora of updates on the SUFC website from tomorrow re signings..

1-1 90 mins .. England win 2-1 after extra time my prediction

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

3 poor performances but 10 players start all 4 games.

It’s all down to getting the Kalvin Philips position right and all will be fine. No pressure Kobi.

Go England looking forward to Gareth making me eat humble pie.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

2 of the 3 were signed before the Butler interview Iron 414.
    Humble pie MK don’t think so, our comments have been very fair to the manager, we just hope he can get them playing to their ability that’s not to much to ask and we’ll all be happy and God do I want to be happy.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Awful

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Lets create another record and sack Southgate at halftime.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

2 of the 3 were signed before the Butler interview Iron 414.

Incorrect awaywego. Only Carlton long name was signed before (announced on 3rd) Fishburn and Brogan were announced 13th and 14th respectively.

England so far total sh*te. Southgate needs to turn this around in the second half.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

England …. Absolute dog poo pissing about playing out from the back side ways n backwards .. no cutting edge and im betting Southgate wont change it at half time… just how bad have his favourites got to be before he subs them ..Saka n Kane awful , in fact cant name any of them as playing well.

Its coming home … the team i mean

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

No half time subs. Has he been on the phone to Jimmy Dean?

Iron414Iron414
    Participant

England just got away with murder there.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Does Southgate think fodens goal counted and waiting for extra time to play his subs.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.