Raising their game

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Raising their game

• Author
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

The early signs this season are very positive, and we all know there will be bumps in the road ahead, maybe even tomorrow, but I get the impression that Butler seems to be getting more out of all of the players who were here last season. Which isn’t to say they were poor last season, but many of them seem to have raised their game this month. There are obvious ones like Beestin, Barrows & Roberts, but even Captain Clunan and Whitehall look to be a step above where they were for much of last season.

Let’s hope it continues for many more games!

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Completely agree, the increased fitness levels from last season have pushed performance levels to new highs and the squad togetherness is great to see. The fans are well on board with what AB and his players are striving for and the wonderful atmosphere created in the ground last home game are testament to that. Long may it continue as you say Ferrite.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Nice to see Bru posters raising their game and posts now mainly about football. Seems a couple of years at least since that was the case.

Once the stragglers let go of Hilton and Dean we’ll be sorted. The behind the scenes stuff is thankfully dull now we have adults in charge.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Completely agree, the increased fitness levels from last season have pushed performance levels to new highs and the squad togetherness is great to see.

That’s an important part of it but I reckon that it’s about attitude too. Whether it’s Whitehall focussing more on football than spraying water bottles, or midfielders making runs into the box. Suggests players are completely buying into it.

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Nice to see Bru posters raising their game and posts now mainly about football. Seems a couple of years at least since that was the case.

I think it’s more the case that there’s nothing to be concerned about with the board, unlike for the past two years. Those previously complaining don’t have a reason to any more, but they very much did under Swann and Hilton.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Not disputing any of that Sidy and I was posting about the Swann and Hilton disasters with the best of them.

The fraudster has been gone for nearly a year and we seem to have found a professional manager so maybe time to let it go is all I’m suggesting.

Whilst never ever forgetting, of course.

PhilAndersPhilAnders
    Participant
    Registered On: July 10, 2017
    Topics: 5

The improved fitness of our squad caused me to ponder if there is some magical properties available on these runs through Laughton Woods. I was so moved that today I donned my running gear and headed down to said woods. After 30 minutes of gentle jogging I can report that I was worked a lot harder than on my usual route. On reflection on the way home, I realised that this was not magic, but due to the fact that I had to jump, stumble and swerve to avoid the rabbit holes and dogshit. Apologies if I’ve revealed a training secret!

mkironMK Iron
    Participant

Impressed at the lengths you are prepared to go to as Bru’s unofficial scout.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Whitehall was up to his antics on Saturday right in front of the goalie drinking out of his bottle, goalie seemed to mouth what the f your doing and was well pissed off, within a minute we scored our first.
    Like to think that he was rattled and Whitehall had got to him.

RandomRandom
    Participant
    Registered On: June 9, 2017
    Topics: 6

He needs to be careful, one day it will back fire and it wont be water in the bottle.

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

He was at it the first half as well.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

My thinking exactly piss in the bottle and light the blue touch paper, must admit it would be great to see opposing players pissing themselves with laughter. If you take the piss you should be expect to have the some given back.

Ex OfficioEx Officio
    Participant
    Registered On: December 28, 2013
    Topics: 3

When the weekly question was asked ‘What is your footballing ‘ick” Danny immediately replied ‘goalkeepers’. so we know his mindset – unfortunately it may come back and bite him – hopefully not a second yellow to mean he misses games. Andy may need to have a quiet word (or a loud one).

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017

Not sure if the above post is tongue in cheek, but I’m fairly sure that Whitehall’s reply was directly in response to Fitz saying his ‘ick’ was players wearing their socks at ankle height (which Whitehall does).

SODIronSODIron
    Participant
    Registered On: July 8, 2014
    Topics: 22

I know it’s early to say however I suspect the improved fitness of the squad, and the attention to detail that Andy Butler and the backroom team are doing will have a huge impact on results this season. We need to be mindful that for the main part, most teams in this division are part-time, and those that are full-time are likely not applying the same focus on squad fitness as Andy and the team are. I know it’s a little early, however I fully expect that we will be champions this season (remember, I called it early when we got relegated from League One all those years ago, so I have form.).

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

For those of us not yet in the 21st century, what is an “ick” please?

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017

Slang for something that you particularly dislike or disgusts you…a “pet peeve”.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Second cousin to a ‘yuk’.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

How do Americans spell their yewww sound of applied disgust? (I accept that my attempt here may be a long way off target.)

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

How do Americans spell their yewww sound of applied disgust? (I accept that my attempt here may be a long way off target.)

Remember Deputy Dawg using that reference whilst conversing with Musk Rat back in the Wild West cartoon days of my childhood.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

You’ll never sing that…

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant

The CARDIACS guy in the underpants looks like Tango man without the makeup, not Phil Brown the original guy from the advert.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

He’s not Phil. Who is he? He is Jim.

You can sing that ;)

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.