Pseudo accents

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Pseudo accents

• Author
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Why do some footballers think affecting a foreign accent is a good substitute for not speaking the language?

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

Or…pretending you don’t know the English language and are struggling to find the right words?

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

A not so honourable mention to Steve Mclaren
    Notice how the German’s treat their audience with respect and assume they have the language skills to understand English, we Brits should really be ashamed in that respect. If a German player couldn’t speak the langauge hear,we’d have a translator if they interviewed him in German al hell would break loose, Farage would drop his binoculars into the Channel with rage at us re-joining the EU

ironingboardironingboard
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2022
    Topics: 0

I reckon Steve’s double dutch takes the trophy home for me Jeff.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

When I first saw the title of this thread yesterday and without my glasses on… I ‘mid-read’ it as Pseudo Assets.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

Notice how the German’s treat their audience with respect and assume they have the language skills to understand English, we Brits should really be ashamed in that respect. If a German player couldn’t speak the langauge hear,we’d have a translator if they interviewed him in German al hell would break loose, Farage would drop his binoculars into the Channel with rage at us re-joining the EU

It’ll be interpreted consecutively, i.e. after he’s finished speaking.

Dier’s accent is quite a common phenomenon, it’s called “mirroring” I think. It’s definitely not confined to footballers. It might involve a shift in accent, or some other behaviours that “mirror” the person you’re talking to. I’ve definitely done it – some of my family are from Tyneside and when I’ve spend a couple of days with them my accent definitely shifts some way up the A1 from North Lincolnshire towards Newcastle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mirroring

wotnowbrncowwotnowbrncow
    Participant
    Registered On: February 1, 2019
    Topics: 1

In fairness to Eric Dier he spent 10 years between the ages of 7 and 17 living in Portugal so I think his accent has always been a little bit unusual.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Yes, maybe a bit harsh. He’s not the worst perpetrator. There’s ‘mirroring’ and there’s being a complete dick….

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Prefer it when he does his Pub Landlord routine!

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Some Iron fans may be affecting pseudo-Scouse accents given the desire from some to sing You’ll Never Walk Alone on the Facebook group.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

When I first saw YNWA on social media I thought someone was suggesting a NWA song by a new Young version of the band. Found it quite baffling. Think it’s an age thing. As for singing YNWA? Preposterous.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.