Protest

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Protest

• Author
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Are we going to actually make this happen then because i would be up for it and we need to start acting now. Im not just on about a one off game either i think it needs to happen at every home game from now.

Let’s start at Mansfield then.

I’m happy to go along with the Walk out on the 72nd minute. It will take a good few hundred to make a noticeable difference as the ground is so sparsely populated these days so if people can spread the word on social media hopefully it gets some momentum.

Get a few banners out and make our voices heard for once.

harrismrh4marty303
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 11

Young lad need to sing swan out all game

SharpShooter24Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Registered On: April 24, 2014
    Topics: 77

Uptheiron99… words fail me!!

Just disappear and do us all a favour

4 users thanked author for this post.
    RoamingBullRoamingBull
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 4

Gloria Gaynor I will survive to be played.

We won’t crumble or lay down and die

BarnardFoxtonBarker..BarnardFoxtonBarker..
    Participant
    Registered On: June 28, 2017
    Topics: 0

Count me in for the protest albeit to late IMO should have started weeks ago.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

More than happy to leave after 72 minutes. Couldn’t bear to stay much longer than that last Saturday.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

Some chat on an Oldham forum about the right and wrong way to protest which you may or may not find interesting:

https://www.owtb.co.uk/topic/53167-stevenage-next-saturday-the-biggest-game-in-our-recent-history/

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Yes both sides of the argument Deerey, I am on the one that got the media attention the pitch invasions. Though I must admit the gate locking got the same attention and that was peaceful, Hopefully someone comes up with something as good.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I agree with 72nd min walkout. It would also be good if there was another ingenious publicity stunt that didn’t break the law aswell.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    Grange Lane IronGrange Lane Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 3

You’re going to organise a protest against a man who has said he is in talks with 3/4 parties about selling the club?

Thick as…. all it will do is put off any potential owners. As Simon Elliott said on Facebook the club have already lost sponsors because of some ‘fans’ actions.

Is that you Swann?

S11DS11D
    Participant
    Registered On: May 29, 2017
    Topics: 3

I also support this 72nd minute walkout.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    TwoWrightsTwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 4

You’re going to organise a protest against a man who has said he is in talks with 3/4 parties about selling the club?

Thick as…. all it will do is put off any potential owners. As Simon Elliott said on Facebook the club have already lost sponsors because of some ‘fans’ actions.

Now, where have I heard that absolute guff before? Ah yes, are you Egyptian? 🇪🇬🇹🇷

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 100

What are the objectives / outcomes hoped for of protesting?

The Chairman (and majority shareholder) will remain so until he sells the club.

If the club isn’t self funding and he chooses to not ‘bail it out’ of accrued debts, then it will eventually go in to administration.

Voluntary liquidation is another potential ‘outcome’.

The following clubs were liquidated:

Bury FC.
    Rushden & Diamonds FC.
    Chester City FC.
    Macclesfield Town FC.
    Aldershot FC.
    Maidstone United.

Criminal law and protests on private land or property:

PART ONE: Protest on private land – a guide to criminal law

From the article below:

“ These rights also only apply to public spaces. Therefore, anyone protesting on private property without the permission of the occupier are likely to be viewed as a trespasser.”

https://nationallegalservice.co.uk/uk-protest-rights/

If you commit aggravated trespass then you can be arrested:

“Aggravated trespass is a criminal offence, so you can be arrested for it. You must be doing two things to commit aggravated trespass: Trespassing. Intentionally obstructing, disrupting, or intimidating others from carrying out ‘lawful activities’.”

Liberty – Protests:

Right to protest

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Right to protest my arse, ramp it up a bit, anybody got a laser pen,

2 users thanked author for this post.
    BottesfordIrons5North Lincolnshire Irons
    Participant
    Registered On: September 30, 2017
    Topics: 58

We support the 72nd minute walkout. We also need some banners made to support this and chanting Swann out throughout.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

Pat, let’s see if any have the money needed to keep SUFC afloat.

Why are you saying that “the club is afloat”, it has already sunk, haven’t you had a look at the League Table lately:-

With seven matches remaining

OLDHAM 34 points
    STEVENAGE 34 points
    SCUNNY 24 points (1 point from our last six games)

When you say afloat, are you taking into consideration that all the club assets being removed from SUFC, to write off all the bloody debts that this owner has ran up, but it appears that it has been others fault for the £13 million overspend, please crawl back under that rock UoTheIron69, people no longer take notice of the arsehole licking you do for Swann.

Everytime refereePat O’Cake
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 17

From the article below:

“ These rights also only apply to public spaces. Therefore, anyone protesting on private property without the permission of the occupier are likely to be viewed as a trespasser.”

I would say this is a grey area as although The Stadium is privately owned by Swann it is open to the public access

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

The best solution would be to ask Swann what protests he’s prepared to except, after all we mustn’t cross any boundaries and upset anyone.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

We support the 72nd minute walkout. We also need some banners made to support this and chanting Swann out throughout.

72 is quite late for a walk out and given we’ll probably be 3-0 down by then, the impact might be quite limited.

Has to be before 60 mins for my money and ideally in the first-half.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

If the club isn’t self funding and he chooses to not ‘bail it out’ of accrued debts, then it will eventually go in to administration.

Bury FC.
    Rushden & Diamonds FC.
    Chester City FC.
    Macclesfield Town FC.
    Aldershot FC.
    Maidstone United.

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” title=”“PART ONE: Protest on private land – a guide to criminal law” — Netpol” src=”https://netpol.org/2014/09/23/protest-private-land-part-one/embed/#?secret=P1cwyVHL80#?secret=VCYc202GM5&#8243; data-secret=”VCYc202GM5″ width=”600″ height=”410″ frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>

From the article below:

“Aggravated trespass is a criminal offence, so you can be arrested for it. You must be doing two things to commit aggravated trespass: Trespassing. Intentionally obstructing, disrupting, or intimidating others from carrying out ‘lawful activities’.”

Liberty – Protests:

Right to protest

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” style=”position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);” title=”“Right to protest” — Liberty” src=”https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/right/right-to-protest/embed/#?secret=L03qXLEr8R#?secret=xouVtVOQMY&#8221; data-secret=”xouVtVOQMY” width=”600″ height=”338″ frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>

The objectives/hopes are to highlight the demise of our club both on/off the field.

We are set to break countless records for the worst season in our 123 year history, coupled with the fact we’ve been on a death spiral for 4 years and about to enter non-league for the first time in 72 years.

You could argue that we are due a stint in national league due to the size of our club- and I’d intend to agree with you- however the manner in which we’ve fallen is disgraceful; the endless list of poor recruits, the fact we’ve got the Chairman’s son as chief scout, mustering 24 points at nearly the seasons end, the fact we barely register more than a shot a goal a game.

Off the field: the obvious one is the ground; I don’t give 2 shits if Swann has always technically “owned the ground”, the fact is now Scunthorpe United are tenants to Coolsilk. We were promised this was to make it easier for funding the flats/redevelopment: what’s happened there then? The last I heard he was potentially looking to sell up, so what’s the need for the ground ownership? History tells us that A club that doesn’t own it’s ground, is in trouble.

The off the field relations are disastrous; we seem to To fall out with the local newspaper, the council, supporters been threatened with legal action, Max Bell and the fiasco with his book, John staff having to flog his book in Debenhams’ car park, fans being called morons, endless promises of ground developments not coming to fruition, £11 million of debt being racked up, the drainage being a mess, the ground looking worse than ever. ( this list is not exhaustive)

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

You could argue that we are due a stint in national league due to the size of our club- and I’d intend to agree with you- however the manner in which we’ve fallen is disgraceful; the endless list of poor recruits, the fact we’ve got the Chairman’s son as chief scout, mustering 24 points at nearly the seasons end, the fact we barely register more than a shot a goal a game.

I agree. It’s not the relegation that is so shocking, that can happen, it’s the manner of the relegation. 4 wins! 24 points! 10 points adrift! 26 goals! It’s truly record-breaking stuff.

Add to that all the other issues which you list in your post and it’s a heady cocktail.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

From the article below:

I would say this is a grey area as although The Stadium is privately owned by Swann it is open to the public access

“Aggravated trespass is a criminal offence, so you can be arrested for it. You must be doing two things to commit aggravated trespass:
    1) Trespassing.
    2a) Intentionally obstructing
    2b) Intentionally disrupting
    2c) Intentionally intimidating others from carrying out ‘lawful activities’.”

Once you’ve left the inside of the ground, your match day ‘contract’ which grants you access to the inside of the stadium ends.
    At that point any non peaceful demonstration that breaches points 2a/b/c, the perpetrators would be deemed to be trespassers.

Keep it peaceful and be careful.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Thanks for that Renee, seems like it’s to risky better call it off (that’s if it was ever on)

SteveJobsworthSteveJobsworth
    Participant
    Registered On: December 29, 2013
    Topics: 22

Walkout after 72 seconds??

UTI

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Bury FC.
    Rushden & Diamonds FC.
    Chester City FC.
    Macclesfield Town FC.
    Aldershot FC.
    Maidstone United.

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” title=”“PART ONE: Protest on private land – a guide to criminal law” — Netpol” src=”https://netpol.org/2014/09/23/protest-private-land-part-one/embed/#?secret=P1cwyVHL80#?secret=VCYc202GM5&#8243; data-secret=”VCYc202GM5″ width=”600″ height=”410″ frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>

From the article below:

Liberty – Protests:

Right to protest

<iframe class=”wp-embedded-content” sandbox=”allow-scripts” security=”restricted” style=”position: absolute; clip: rect(1px, 1px, 1px, 1px);” title=”“Right to protest” — Liberty” src=”https://www.libertyhumanrights.org.uk/right/right-to-protest/embed/#?secret=L03qXLEr8R#?secret=xouVtVOQMY&#8221; data-secret=”xouVtVOQMY” width=”600″ height=”338″ frameborder=”0″ marginwidth=”0″ marginheight=”0″ scrolling=”no”></iframe>

The objectives/hopes are to highlight the demise of our club both on/off the field.

We are set to break countless records for the worst season in our 123 year history, coupled with the fact we’ve been on a death spiral for 4 years and about to enter non-league for the first time in 72 years.

Off the field: the obvious one is the ground; I don’t give 2 shits if Swann has always technically “owned the ground”, the fact is now Scunthorpe United are tenants to Coolsilk. We were promised this was to make it easier for funding the flats/redevelopment: what’s happened there then? The last I heard he was potentially looking to sell up, so what’s the need for the ground ownership? History tells us that A club that doesn’t own it’s ground, is in trouble.

The off the field relations are disastrous; we seem to To fall out with the local newspaper, the council, supporters been threatened with legal action, Max Bell and the fiasco with his book, John staff having to flog his book in Debenhams’ car park, fans being called morons, endless promises of ground developments not coming to fruition, £11 million of debt being racked up, the drainage being a mess, the ground looking worse than ever. ( this list is not exhaustive)

Venting your spleen outside the directors entrance may make you ‘feel better’ for the 5 or 10 minutes that you are ‘chanting’.

But – who’s going to be listening? It’ll all be locked up with staff watching the game.

You’ll be chanting to a wall with no ears.

Who outside of Scunthorpe is interested in SUFC’s plight? Those that care already know.

The Chairman will continue to be the owner until he either sells the club or a different road is taken.

I can understand wanting to protest – but it will have the same effect as the rats on the Titanic protesting that it’s sinking.

Three thousand supporters investing a mere £5,000 each in to the club raises £15M.

I would be happy to be one of those 3 thousand.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘A mere £5k’?! Damn, coffee all over my laptop screen again…

Deereyme66Deereyme66

It does seem a bit late now for protesting but it’s better than not at all isn’t it? I’d say so.

IronIronIronIronIronIron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 6

Well, it looks like there are 6, possibly 7, people ready to walk out after 72 minutes.

Nobody will notice!!

A proper protest needs planning and support. There has been neither.

There’s only 100 or so who read threads on this site with any regularity. 70% don’t attend matches. Of the remaining 30 only 10 are interested. So you have 3 or 4 more to get on board …..

It ain’t going to happen.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

‘A mere £5k’?! Damn, coffee all over my laptop screen again…

That’s £500 off the £5000 straightaway replacing the bloody laptop.😲😂

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

Are you lot still wasting your time discussing this?
    What do you want Swann to do? Talk to interested parties.. oh wait he already is!🤦🏻‍♂️

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.