Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Positives

• This topic is empty.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 748

Good to see so many younger players in the team on Saturday including our own Lewis Butroid.

Beadeau and Mcatee have also highlighted the importance of the U23 project, in particular Mcatee who has already shown enough for me that he isn’t destined to remain at this level.

More games these lads get in the first team the better, hope Russ gives a few more a chance before the season is outZ

7 users thanked author for this post.

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 169
    Replies: 2309

Definitely, it’s the future in every sense.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 279
    Replies: 6254

Being saying for long enough that bringing through our own had to be the way.

2 users thanked author for this post.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 239
    Replies: 10592

The negatives are that amongst these young players we still have too many lost souls like El Mhanni and Dales.

Miller gets in in front of Green and Liddle ahead of Beestin. We still have Wootton & Olomola out on loan and everyone’s forgotten about Horsfield & Burgess.

It seems that we haven’t quite found a cure for Dom Vose syndrome!

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 177
    Replies: 3688

Green/Beestin showing signs of being the next Vose/Margetts. Liddle & Miller likely to go back at seasons end with little more experience than they came with.
    We’ve sold Wootton.

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 279
    Replies: 6254

Sadly Kyle Wootton was sold and remains a stupid decision. Miller was brought in nowhere as good as Kyle was yet we sell a player and opt to keep a loanee !!

Harry Jessop in the U18s is a better prospect than George Miller.

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 416
    Replies: 8310

Even Sanfran49 is a better prospect upfront than Miller.

billpuntonsghost
    Participant
    Topics: 505
    Replies: 4014

I agree with that Mick to the Max.

Pele
    Participant
    Topics: 45
    Replies: 688

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scunthorpe-united-grimsby-wilcox-butroid-3885800

Totally agree with this article 100% that this is what we should be doing.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 3860

Spot on Pele absolutely correct and even Uncle Pete and the Deaf Aids should be up for this because he stated after Hursts dismissal that youth was the path the club were now pursuing.

BartonIron
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 94

I have to disagree on Wooton, how amny times did he play and show virtually nothing. I’m not saying what we have got in is better but letting him go was the right decision imho.

Northumbiron
    Participant

The point is that, okay, he wasn’t that good but he was better than Miller who we bring in on loan!

Same goes for Olomola.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 39
    Replies: 1677

I have to disagree on Wooton, how amny times did he play and show virtually nothing. I’m not saying what we have got in is better but letting him go was the right decision imho.

Because we didn’t play to his strengths, no coincidence he started scoring goals the minute he joined a team that did.

cassidystash
    Participant
    Topics: 177
    Replies: 3688

How many has he scored since they bought him?

Lord Kitchener
    Participant
    Topics: 31
    Replies: 728

Now that we have little to no chance of even making the playoffs this year, yet are still too good to get relegated, we should be giving chances to our U23 players in the first team. Beestin in particular looks like a great option to me.

If the established first team players are seriously having to compete with our budding stars, they too might start playing to their highest standards.

Or we could continue with the dross that we are all getting sick and bloody tired of.

UTI

Northumbiron
    Participant

Who are the dross players?

Eisa, Gilliead and Van Veen have provided the highlights of this dull season. We’ve never had two settled full-backs all year. McGahey and Bedeau have now played a few games together and it’s Hobson’s choice who is in goal.

So really it’s CMF that’s the issue. Beestin is a good shout but one could argue that we still need the experience of either Perch or Songo’o in there.

Would be interesting to know what lineups people would go for if they were to follow the OP.

MK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 8
    Replies: 197

For the rest of the season with the next one in mind I would go with:

Watson in goal. He is not going to learn much on th bench so use this time to see if he has the makings of a league player.

Right back. Would go with Sutton. Not sure he is ever going to be a first choice midfielder so let’s see if he can make it at full back.

Left back Butroid. Again time to see if he’s good enough.

Centre backs McGahey and Bedeau

Midfield time to see if Beeston and Hallam can do it.

The other 4 are fairly obvious, Gillead, Eisa, KVV and McAtee but would be looking to give Green 25/30 minutes each game.

Put the experienced guys that won’t be here next season on the bench so we have options to shore things up if we are getting a beating.

At least we will know who is worth persisting with by the end of the season. We will also know the areas we need to recruit for.

I think we have got to assume 2 or 3 of the front 4 will depart in the summer along with McGahey for offers we cannot refuse. To be fair they are all League 1 or better quality.

Fair play to Hurst for bringing 3 of them to the club as well as being the first manager to give McGahey a proper run in the team at centre back.

IronIronIron
    Participant
    Topics: 21
    Replies: 1186

Considering we are supposed to have a number of people who are too good for this league, we are in a pretty poor position. I don’t remember anyone coming in for our so-called best players in January (although I am aware that we off-loaded a couple of decent players to get some cash in and lower the wage bill).

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.