Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Paul Hayes podcast

SST
    Keymaster
    Topics: 834
    Replies: 3001

Really enjoyed recording this. Probably one of my favourites to date and lots of behind the scenes stuff we rarely get to hear.

Worth a listen!

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 249
    Replies: 10997

Enjoyed it. Looking forward to Pt II.

You see the other side to Laws and how different a chairman Steve Wharton was to our current owner.

3 users thanked author for this post.

Lawsihateyou
    Participant
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 64

Best podcast interview so far IMO.

Good to see some real honesty and genuine insight from an ex-player.

Very much looking forward to part two!

THE-99%
    Topics: 890
    Replies: 4234

what I liked was his excited tone of voice, you can’t fake that, when talking about derby game

4 users thanked author for this post.

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 1806

Does he mention ‘that’ goal from the corner kick? 😜

It’s our time.

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 772

Enjoyable listen. Comes across as genuine, honest bloke.

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8396

It was an excellent podcast and he didn’t mince his feelings and loved beating the Cods.

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 122
    Replies: 3868

Can’t beat glowing reviews. Looking forward to listening this weekend. Cheers all.

mistertonmick
    Participant

Have you listened to the goalkeeper one DM66.

Deereyme66
    Participant

Is there one Mick?

Deereyme66
    Participant

Just listened. Wow, great to hear Hayesy with plenty to say. You can tell he’s thought back to those days before the recording. Laughed at Spadge’s chat up line and the detail is really insightful. Touching about ‘Grandad’. Really good. Thanks guys. 👏

SST
    Keymaster

Thanks gents. Certainly my favourite episode to date. There’s plenty more from Hayesy to come too – we chatted for nearly three hours. He was great value and is a top bloke.

One thing that is evident when interviewing the players from this era is they all have huge respect for Steve Wharton and look back on their relationship with him with great fondness. I know Steve is a listener and has been in touch with a few of the lads following the episodes to reminisce about our success!

Cliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Topics: 27
    Replies: 772

Was going to post something similar, SST.

There’s also a continuous respect for Lawsy and the club as a whole shown by the players in that era.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Deereyme66
    Participant

‘I know Steve is a listener and has been in touch with a few of the lads following the episodes to reminisce about our success!’

Will he do a podcast?

2 users thanked author for this post.

Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 297

I absolutely loved this interview… took me back to Stamford bridge when Hayes smashes in the opening goal and 6,500 fans went wild!!
    Swann talks about achievements during his time in charge of the club but he has absolutely nothing on what went before him!!!!
    Hayes gave Such an honest account of his time at SUFC, His admiration for Wharton is unbelievably clear and the respect he has for him says so much about the man.
    I think if I met Steve Wharton tomorrow I’d owe him a massive apology, I probably felt he didn’t spend enough money and wasn’t ambitious enough but in all honesty I’d have him back tomorrow!!!!!!
    Can’t wait for part 2

4 users thanked author for this post.

Bishops Finger
    Participant
    Topics: 272
    Replies: 463

Great episode! Cant wait for the next one.Well done on these guys. Some real IRON fan favourites in the past few weeks!

mistertonmick
    Participant

Just finished the Paul Hayes trilogy and it’s not a disappointment, he loved Steve Wharton who Matt says listens to the podcasts, but I wonder what his career would have been if he didn’t seem to fall out with so many managers.

iron insider
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 14

Is part 2 out mistertonmick? I cant spot it anywhere but really enjoyed Part 1 and can’t wait to hear the next instalment.

mistertonmick
    Participant

I’ve heard all 3 Haysie episodes on Patreon, costs me about £2.80 a month and you get the podcasts earlier plus extra content from Brad the 2 Matt’s and Iron stats which is interesting, plus you can listen via the Patreon App who email you when there is a new podcast and it also helps with the 3 lads getting better equipment.

mistertonmick
    Participant

Steve Torpey, Andy Keogh are coming out next, Billy Sharp about to be interviewed and have been informed that Andy and Billy are going to do one together, and the Andy Keogh is a cracker.

SST
    Keymaster

Part 2

Sanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 281
    Replies: 6266

Absolutely superb interview with Paul Hayes. Gives such an honest opinion about his time in claret & blue and you can tell he still loves the club.

Obviously wants to get into management but can’t get the chance. A great shame because throughout the podcast you detect that he has learned from the good managers. Also detected not enamoured with fdear Brian.

I wonder.

Bishops Finger
    Participant
    Topics: 272
    Replies: 463

Enjoying this gents! Cant wait for part three. Hayes is a fantastic guest.

SST
    Keymaster

Part 3. Enjoy!

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

Absolutely superb interview with Paul Hayes. Gives such an honest opinion about his time in claret & blue and you can tell he still loves the club.

Obviously wants to get into management but can’t get the chance. A great shame because throughout the podcast you detect that he has learned from the good managers. Also detected not enamoured with fdear Brian.

I wonder.

I wouldn’t be against having him here as Manager next season, let’s face it we have tried the so called experienced Managers and failed miserably, why not take a punt on someone with new, fresh ideas, and you would like to think he would favour attacking football?

Sharp_Shooter24
    Participant
    Topics: 92
    Replies: 297

Paul Hayes,
    Not sure if you read the messages on this board but on the off chance you do I just wanted to say a massive thank you!!!
    Thank you for everything you gave to SUFC as a player.
    Thank you for freeing up so much of your time that the guys were able to put 3 podcast episodes together with the content.
    I thoroughly enjoy listening, it took me back to the best most enjoyable years I’ve had as a football fan.
    Good luck for the future

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 1829

The comments about why he left the third time were interesting, especially regarding who was really responsible for him not being offered a new deal.

scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Topics: 78
    Replies: 1670

Absolutely brilliant listen! Really gives a proper insight to his time with us and im just grateful i got to see his partnership with hooper which i personally dont think we will see anything in terms of partnerships like that again. Also interesting but not surprised at his comments regarding swanny not wanting him for another season…disgraceful decision and swanny had the arrogance to ask why he should have brought hayes back for the 4 months in the first place! Anyone with any knowledge and understanding of football wouldnt even need to dream of asking paul that stupid question…thankyou hayesy you’re a legend and we will always be grateful for those fantastic moments.

scunnymatt88
    Participant
    Topics: 78
    Replies: 1670

I wonder.

I wouldn’t be against having him here as Manager next season, let’s face it we have tried the so called experienced Managers and failed miserably, why not take a punt on someone with new, fresh ideas, and you would like to think he would favour attacking football?

Under a new chaiman yes! Under this arrogant clown… NO!

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

Finally got round listening to this one just finished part 1 which was a great listen, hope parts 2 & 3 are as good, thanks for organising this guys.

SST

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.