Paul Hayes As Assistant Or Head Coach ?

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Paul Hayes As Assistant Or Head Coach ?

• Author
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Hayes left dunmow town fc yesterday. Hayes steered them to 5th in their league, which was deemed a successful season for them.

Would you be happy with Hayes as assistant or coach ?

Paul’s the holder of a UEFA A coaching license.

sugij limsugij lim
    Participant
    Registered On: January 26, 2023
    Topics: 0

Look at his wiki experiences. Used to be both agent and director of football.
    I’m pleased to see him join the team. Should help with the selection of players to join the team.
    And the experience of managing a team is considered quite good.
    But I think the position in the team that suits him best would be director of football.
    Although personally I think his playing in the striker position will help the team a lot. If in the position of assistant manager.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

What is LT’s current function?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 101

Hope not, wonderful player but judging by his Twitter output he’s gone a bit Matt LeTissier in recent years.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Would seem like Michelle jumped the gun with a pedigree like that he should have been the new manager.

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

Oh dear. I seem to remember 64 posting something which suggested he didn’t like Hayes twitter stuff. Football wise Hayes would seem to be a good choice to complement Butler, Iron legend, qualified coach, knows non league and he could work with the forwards etc.
    It seems the price of social media is everyone knowing your political beliefs and then judging your professional ability by whether they agree or not.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Going a bit far with Iron legend one of the most marmite players we’ve had.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

It’s not so much political beliefs as tin-foil-hat stuff. For such an intelligent player on the pitch, he doesn’t show the same acumen on his social media.

mistertonmickmistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 106

nice idea, but don’t you think keeping it all in house is part of the cost cutting

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

Yes in house makes more sense. Player coach, Butterfield gets mentioned, maybe Butler knows someone else suitable ?

SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Legend gets bounded about a lot, but Hayes will always be an Iron great to me. Some of the ‘lazy Hayesy’ stuff was ridiculous.

6 users thanked author for this post.
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

Legend gets bounded about a lot, but Hayes will always be an Iron great to me. Some of the ‘lazy Hayesy’ stuff was ridiculous.

He had a great touch and could be really clever with a pass. I see a little bit of him in Whitehall, to be honest, as daft as that might sound.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

Completely agree. Touch, vision, power, skill, a wonderful player. That goal on his third debut at Mansfield will stay with me forever, just like those goals at Chelsea, at home to Grimsby and on his debut v. Hull.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Completely agree. Touch, vision, power, skill, a wonderful player. That goal on his third debut at Mansfield will stay with me forever, just like those goals at Chelsea, at home to Grimsby and on his debut v. Hull.

He scored some great goals, but it was his intelligence with passing and touch that has always stayed with me. A cut above.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017

Is he one of Bax’s 21 legends or will he need to be 24th after Hilton and himself have been added?

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

He scored some great goals, but it was his intelligence with passing and touch that has always stayed with me. A cut above.

Absolutely, his passing & vision made Garry Hooper’s career, their partnership is the best I’ve seen for Scunthorpe and I include Sharp & Keogh in that.

And Henderson & Juryeff.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

And Henderson & Juryeff.

Like bringing a cotton bud to a sword fight.

IronageIron Age
    Participant
    Registered On: April 10, 2019
    Topics: 55

Absolutely, his passing & vision made Garry Hooper’s career, their partnership is the best I’ve seen for Scunthorpe and I include Sharp & Keogh in that.

And Henderson & Juryeff.

Robby Savage described Hooper and Hayes as a nightmare.
    Mind you he was playing for a rubbish Derby County at the time.

BigLeftToeBigLeftToe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 6, 2017
    Topics: 6

On the Sunday after the Boston game I drowned my sorrows by watching the full season reviews for 08/09 and 09/10 on YouTube…some of the stuff played by Hayes and Hooper was different gravy, we could only dream of seeing that kind of football these days!

4 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Paul Hayes as assistant and Butterfield signed on as head coach would be interesting. Butterfield did say he was looking to retire beyond this season and wanted to get into coaching/management.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I don’t know the ins and outs regarding the various responsibilities of manager, asst manager and head coach but, in our current situation, couldn’t two people cover those jobs? We’ve been hugely overstaffed for the past few seasons and, with budgetry restraints in mind, might savings off the field help maximise the funds for players?Whether we like it or not we’re NLN and need to staff accordingly. If we could afford Butterfield as player coach then an assistant manager could be OK.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

As a player I loved Hayes just his loyalty did for me.
    Having seen Scunthorpes record on promoting ex’s to managers would you bring haysey in as your assistant? Knill had the right idea cleared most of prospective managers out one being a true iron legend Cliffy.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Paddy Madden and Lavery need new clubs surely we can fit them in.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

I don’t know the ins and outs regarding the various responsibilities of manager, asst manager and head coach but, in our current situation, couldn’t two people cover those jobs?

You may be right. Hayes and Butler may be enough.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

I don’t know the ins and outs regarding the various responsibilities of manager, asst manager and head coach but, in our current situation, couldn’t two people cover those jobs?

You may be right. Hayes and Butler may be enough.

I was thinking exactly the same Cass .. the more savings made on back room staff salaries the more can go to the playing staff budget, this is NLN and how many “coaches” does a club need..suffice to say Bullet proof Muzzy will survive as he always seems to.

BTW what does LT do nowadays , what is hes role /position its all gone quiet over there?

Very much looking forward to seeing the retained list ..whose in whose out n gone see what sort of a base or spine Mr Butler has to start with and also who will be choosing any new players coming in ?

UTI

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

I would hope (and expect) that Butler plus any assistant and Turnbull (if he’s been scouting) will be responsible. The board can then say no if the players demands are not within budget. Does Butler want 26 players on £1000/wk or 22 players on £1200/wk?
    Does he go for 24 players on £1000 and give Butterfield £3000 to keep him?
    (Wages are an example only and I’m not suggesting they in any way represent true figures.)
    Good luck Andy!!

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Butterfield won’t play beyond this season, he’s hinted so already. Jimmy suggested it earlier in the season about having talks with him. I’m sure Butler said he was looking for a squad of 21 players when he was signed during an interview on Hullberside.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

Thanks, didn’t hear that. Didn’t somebody say that we’ll be 3 subs from 7 next season? A match day squad of 18 makes a squad of 21 a bit dangerous if that’s the case. A couple of crocks and a couple with disciplinary issues and we’d be short most games.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

5 from 7 Cass.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Until we find out we are all wrong or fortuitously correct we can have a guess.

So what about a 41 yr old. Midfield/attacker, played in all English Leagues, done his coaching badges, worked at several levels of academy football and managed in div 2.

And the kitman – ‘Cheesy’ ?
    May I introduce ‘The Postman’.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.