Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Other Teams

Pat O’Cake
    Participant
    Topics: 41
    Replies: 1729

I was thinking earlier today about other teams I would have supported had I not had the unbelievable good fortune to have been born a Scunthorpe United fan.

Pushing aside the Prem and Championship I have always had soft spots for York City, Halifax Town and Rochdale for no particular reason at all although Rochdale has always been one of my favourite away days.

Anyone else have a secret soft spot for any lower league rivals?

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2400

I think you might be on your own with Rochdale. Much as I love the “holy trinity” of pub (now demolished), chip shop & away end on the same street, the aggressive stewarding at Dale always left a sour taste. As did some miserable turnstyle operator who I remember refusing to let some 13 year-old lad in as a junior, claiming he was “at least 18”. The lad had come on the bus and didn’t have any more money to get in as an adult so I think there was a quick whip-round outside to get him the extra tenner. Dale must have been strapped for cash.

I have a big soft spot for Exeter – fan-owned, great city and a ground which has plenty of character (although not enough roofing). Their stewarding was a bit OTT when we won promotion there in 2014 but I still like the club, they seem to do things the right way and punch well above their weight.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 249
    Replies: 10997

Always had a bit of a soft spot for Hartlepool. Probably because they were the only ones worse than us in the 70s!

See a lot of similarities between them and us, which has worried be greatly for the past two seasons.

Darlington on the other hand I have always disliked. Funny eh?

Got family and friends who are Carlisle fans and when I go there the banter between the home fans is just like GP!

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4184

Rochdale for me, good pie, good pint and plenty of friendly exchanges with their fans before games and after, what ever the result. I guess personal experiences will co!our a lot of people’s judgements but I think we have a lot in common size wise with Rochdale , our gates are generally bigger but we aren’t stuck bang in the middle of such a densely populated football club area as them.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Iron-awe
    Participant

Just to add Accrington for similar reasons to Rochdale, must be the Lancashire welcome that does it.

BloodyRubbishIron
    Participant
    Topics: 34
    Replies: 1829

Always liked Carlisle for the class of many of their fans who clapped our League One champions on the final day of the season.

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 33
    Replies: 631

BRI Carlisle fans that come down were really friendly got us to sing the physio song In the Berkeley they all joined in, with that A van load of police rushed in to see what all the trouble was, they then bollocked the land lord for wasting police time.Though you wouldn’t want a Carlisle “inter city crew calling card” left with you.😀

Ferrite
    Participant

I guess personal experiences will co!our a lot of people’s judgements but I think we have a lot in common size wise with Rochdale , our gates are generally bigger but we aren’t stuck bang in the middle of such a densely populated football club area as them.

Wouldn’t disagree with any of that, just to say I had several trips to Spotland when the stewards were ridiculous. I remember a friend being chucked out when he went for a half-time slash because he was apparently “persistently standing” which might be fair if he hadn’t been at the back of about 20 rows of Iron fans who had all been standing throughout the game!

bartonscorpion
    Participant
    Topics: 144
    Replies: 3006

I have always had a soft spot for Hartlepool, again friendly fans, and like a good time at games.

ironking
    Participant
    Topics: 63
    Replies: 310

Every week i support the Team playing the Codheads! Had some great years recently!!!!!!!!! (until the appointment of Desperate Dan aka Russ Wilcox that is)

Iron-awe
    Participant

I have always had a soft spot for Hartlepool, again friendly fans, and like a good time at games.

Very welcoming supporters club bar with a good pastie, good pint and loads of friendly banter, I will add Hartlepool to the list as well BS.

Bucksiron
    Participant
    Topics: 276
    Replies: 5062

Never felt a soft spot for any other team. A few that I despise, however, over and above Grimsby of course. Wycombe Wanderers — will never forgive them for printing in their programme that we’d never been higher than the third tier, which was an appalling piece of research; Scarborough when they were in the league — bit of a bogey team for us and awful to watch; MK Dons — probably for the same reason that other fans don’t like them given their history (or lack of it).

Deereyme66
    Participant
    Topics: 122
    Replies: 3868

The last few times I’ve been to Rochdale I’ve enjoyed some of the best pre-match chat with some of their fans in the club bar.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Pat O’Cake
    Participant

Same as Deerey, never had an issue with stewards when I’ve been, having said that I have misssed the last couple of visits due to work, love love pub near the ground, is it The Church?

Pat O’Cake
    Participant

As did some miserable turnstyle operator who I remember refusing to let some 13 year-old lad in as a junior, claiming he was “at least 18”.

Exactly the same thing happened to me at Blunder Park, I was all of 12 years of age, went on the train with my mate (Mum & Dad didn’t know I had gone without an Adult and I got the Bollocking of a lifetime when they did find out, football was a dangerous place to be for away fans in those days) anyway, the arsehole on the turnstile was adamant I was an adult and would not let me in, I only had £3 on me which was the admission price for a junior, but some kind hearted fellow Iron fans chipped in to get me the full admission. (We lost by the way two or three one, pretty sure Flounders scored for us).

Ferrite
    Participant

Well that is clearly why you don’t like Grimsby Town then Pat!

I don’t get why turnstile operators do stuff like that, what’s in it for them other than being an arse?

Iron-awe
    Participant

Well that is clearly why you don’t like Grimsby Town then Pat!

I don’t get why turnstile operators do stuff like that, what’s in it for them other than being an arse?

I think being an arse is in the job description for a Grimsby turnstile operator, goes well with their whole club image.

Ferrite
    Participant

Bit hard at the moment, they seem to be getting a few more things right than we are.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.