Notts County

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Notts County

• Author
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

It was a free hit today and we got stuffed by the best footballing team in the division so well played to them. Disappointing for the large traveling group of Iron fans today but those saying the manager is miles out of his depth should apply the same assessment to all the other managers whose teams have been thumped at Meadow Lane this season, ridiculous comment, the gap between County and the majority of teams in this division is vast.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    ScunnyblueScunnyblue
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2021
    Topics: 0

Tactical masterclass from Jimmy , not 1 single shot on target & people are defending that … Dear oh dear

1 user thanked author for this post.
    Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

Seemed honest and genuine enough in his after match remarks, didn’t try and make excuses. Difference between being genuine and being deluded Scunnyblue but you crack on.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

‘Was the same with Wrexham.’ Did you watch both games?

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Regardless of County players being much better quality, the way the team was set up today allowing their 2 wingers to have free reign was naive, to say the least. If you’re going to play for a goalless draw, at least have defenders on the wide men. But hey, what do I know, mate.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I’ve watched football at all levels for over 60 years and can’t remember a more one sided game in all that time. Notts were good, no doubt about that, but we were pathetic, yes pathetic, lucky it wasn’t double figures. I can’t accept any excuses for a performance like that. We were fortunate that they have a 30+ goal striker that misses 3 chances out of 4, Bennett and Elliott can only dream about service like that.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    barriethomasbarriethomas
    Participant
    Registered On: December 24, 2013
    Topics: 41

When we visit Burton on Trent for railway events we buy Barnetby to Nottingham tickets, get on at Scunny and off at Sheffield. Then Derbyshire Wayfarer ticket to Burton on Trent via Derby. UTWI

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Apparently, anyone who criticises today’s performance need to get a grip and put things in perspective CT. Slippery slope that, if you ask me.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

No doubt we’ll “take the positives” out of today’s performance. Good luck with that, shouldn’t take long.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Agree with many Notts were very good but we didn’t turn up in any shape or form, worst performance I’ve seen in a long while, the fans turned up yet again but the team didn’t yet again, just not good enough in our heart of hearts most expected to lose but not in that manner all I wanted was a performance not to much to ask imo, took most enjoyment from the kids playing at half time, good day out with many friends and family spoiled by the football.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

The kids at half time were
    Brilliant, best bit of the game.

It’s the scunthorpe way that anytime we have a decent crowd turn up then the team doesn’t, 2-0 down after 10 minutes just kills the game.

Not going to read too much in it tactically, they are an exceptional footballing side for this level and would beat most in league 2 comfortably . Even if we turned up today then we get beat quite easily; the gulf in class was staggering.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 46

One positive for me was Thompson. The one player in our team that would make their first eleven. He is going to punish mediocre National League teams.

The biggest negative for me was that their main threat to us was obvious in the first 5 minutes but for the next 85 minutes we did nothing to address it.

Their right winger had Leake on toast all day. We dropped deep into a shape to try and make life difficult for them but 90% of their free possession either side of the half way line ended up with an easy pass to the feet of their most dangerous player who spent the whole game without Leake (or any other Iron player) within 10 yards of him. He then either took Leake on directly very much his own terms or played a simple ball through to his full back or midfield runner who were invariably not tracked leading to an unchallenged cross.

Net result was a steady stream of quality balls across the box from their right hand side that produced 4 goals and could easily have produced 4 more.

Common sense says if you are a full back and your winger is beasting you 1 to 1 then you mark the fecker so tightly that his team stop trying to pass to him. Takes you out of the game but also takes him out of it.

Someone on or off the field should have been screaming instructions to the young lad from the 7th minute at least to get tight and stay tight.

They would probably still have beaten us because they are a very good football team but at least we would have made them work for it.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Thing with Dean is he essentially has one way of playing and when that one formation doesn’t work, either due to a gap in quality or the other team counteracting it he struggles tactically to find a foot hold back in the game.

When the formation works it really works, only problem is when he needs to think on his feet he doesn’t seem to have the tactical nous to at the very least improve it.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

That formation with 2 sitters does give up free space for the opposition to go against our full backs due to the gaps out wide, if our full backs for whatever reason get urinated on e.g Leake today, Thompson and Shrimpton can’t go out there because then it would leave a huge gap in the middle.

Dean should have changed to 3 in midfield and should have had one of those trying to screen their RW, poor Leake got absolutely ripped to pieces. Their RW has scored 15/16 goals for crying out loud.

CMCCMC
    Participant
    Registered On: July 14, 2022
    Topics: 32

The kids at half time were
    Brilliant, best bit of the game.

Also, Ben-Richards goal was a cracker, shame it was in his own net.

As for us, the numbers walking out at 2-0 and 3-0 said it all. County after they got the second treated it like a training match.

There wasn’t that many singing the manager’s name in comparison to the other chants. Interesting.
    in the concourse fans calling for him to go.

Also amusing was the Notts Stewards lack of interest when the flare was chucked on the pitch.

Oh Well, cheap day out.

bartonscorpionbartonscorpion
    Participant
    Registered On: July 20, 2015
    Topics: 43

This was a match that was over after 10 minutes, in fact it was probably over in the dressing room before taking to the pitch, I listened to it on RH, and Scunny never had a shot on target during the 90 mins, in fact only had one shot during the whole game, it must have been so boring, to be outplayed for the full game after taking the trip to Nottingham.
    The only good point for you guys, was that you didn’tt have to listen to “really really” Cox, who moaned for the full broadcast, it wouldn’t be so bad, but when he was the manager, the team and asewt up was bloody terrible, but he appears to thgink that he knows everything right now.

The club was ruined by Swann, and it will take some getting back, they will struggle next season in the NLN, the question is how long will the band of loyal supporters keep torning out to watch such rubbish???

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:
    Topics: 59

I didn’t see a single shot from us.

The ‘boys’ will be working on staying onside on Monday – they don’t understand that particular rule!

5 & 10 yards off the pace in every position on the pitch.

Keeper will cost us in these remaining games.

Jimbob is playing at being a ‘manager’ – clueless!

I’m afraid defeat awaits at York on Tuesday.

hr1001hr1001
    Participant
    Registered On: July 5, 2022

Notts fan here. First of all well done on the away fan attendance – amazing when in your position even if it was cheap and close-ish

Did your manager say what the plan was for the start of the game? Teams tend to come and either go high press and take it to us or they put 11 behind the ball, try at every chance to slow down the game, stop us getting into a rhytham.

You guys didn’t seem to do either. We played great today, Notts were in deluxe mode but you also let us play like that. Nemane / Rodrigues seemed to surprise you but that’s how we play every game.

I think once it went to 2-0 so quickly m not sure if you knew what to do, to attack would be running the risk of a cricket score but you also sort of had nothing to lose then.

Saying that we were playing very well and I think you just couldn’t cope with how fast we were on you when you had the ball. In the second half even when we were strolling to a win, I saw 5 of our players surround your lad who had the ball, they were just relentless.

Hopefully for your sakes you can scratch this off as a learning curve for the manager and players and refocus for Tuesday

5 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

This was a match that was over after 10 minutes, in fact it was probably over in the dressing room before taking to the pitch, I listened to it on RH, and Scunny never had a shot on target during the 90 mins, in fact only had one shot during the whole game, it must have been so boring, to be outplayed for the full game after taking the trip to Nottingham.
    The only good point for you guys, was that you didn’tt have to listen to “really really” Cox, who moaned for the full broadcast, it wouldn’t be so bad, but when he was the manager, the team and asewt up was bloody terrible, but he appears to thgink that he knows everything right now.

Indeed the HR commentary was hard listening in respect to just how outclassed Scunny were and more so as stated above Cox terrible warblings of really really n be btave braver really got on my tits , i remember his time as manager , it was torrid but he seems to have all the answers now vis the radio mic.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

O’Brien put a shift in and was decent.
    I also like Bajrami – he looked decent.

The ‘plan’ maybe to go part-time and aim to consolidate in NLN next season?

Who knows?

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

talking to a Notts fan mate who was there .. Scunny were worst team hes seen this season by a long way but impressed by the away turn out and the Fans were the best to visit Meadow Lane…if only the team could match the fans heart and desire.

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant

I don’t remember a Scunny player going into the Notts penalty area all game and many of them didn’t go into their half. I missed the shot as well. No long throws into the Notts box as we didn’t get close enough. Lucky plenty of tickets for Tuesday already sold, I doubt there will be much more demand.

Cliffy wrote:-
    “It’s the scunthorpe way that anytime we have a decent crowd turn up then the team doesn’t.”
    How true, it’s happened so many times it’s predictable and depressing.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Butterfield shot Cass,from my recollection it only went a few yards before it was blocked got no where near their goal don’t think it got in the box.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Apparently, anyone who criticises today’s performance need to get a grip and put things in perspective CT. Slippery slope that, if you ask me.

Tough, if they don’t like criticism then they are in the wrong jobs !

How many there thought the team backed off and offered nothing going forward ?
    How many think we set up to deal with them ?

7 games left and Mr Dean reckons the club needs 4/5 wins to stay up – fans have a right to comment, criticize because they are spending hard earned money. It isn’t just the defeats it is the nature of it, this club used to fight for everything no matter who the opponent was. They didn’t give in, they didn’t get above their station. Now over complication is the name of the game.

Said at the time I hoped Mr Nelson would retain the job until the end of the season, see little reason to change my mind.

IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Just like the players the manager has his limitations.
    Dean isn’t good enough to manage at a league two level,
    the County team would be league two playoff contenders they were that good. All of our players (excl thompson) were nowhere near them
    and most probably won’t
    ever get to a league standard.
    The sheet lack of effort worried me, that and Deans inability to see what every fan could see in the space afforded to their winger.

VanadramaVanadrama
    Participant
    Registered On: May 24, 2022

It was a free hit today and we got stuffed by the best footballing team in the division so well played to them. Disappointing for the large traveling group of Iron fans today but those saying the manager is miles out of his depth should apply the same assessment to all the other managers whose teams have been thumped at Meadow Lane this season, ridiculous comment, the gap between County and the majority of teams in this division is vast.

A free hit. Funny that, this time last week it was ‘Caught, gutted, battered, fried and eaten all in ninety minutes, it’s a role they were born to play, well done Brighton very professional today 👏👏👏’

A Grimsby loss to a Premier team THREE divisions higher, Iron losing by 4 to a team in the SAME division. And then doomed bottom of the division FGR ignore any free-hit nonsense by beating 2nd placed Wednesday earlier today. Free hit, pfffft; it was a chance to show guts and passion but it was boys vs men. Now it’s the inevitable ‘bounce-back’ against York, if the team go missing in that game it’s curtains and the Dorking win will look like some anomaly.

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Would you go and talk shite on your own clubs forum?

All dick head vacancies are already taken on this forum.

ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant

All this free hit nonsense is just bollocks , there should be no free hits ever and the players should turn up and give 110% every game. The Notts performance had zero positives it was shambolic in every way EXCEPT THE FANS who turned out on mass and were let down badly… on to York on Tuesady and i hope this total drubbing hasnt knocked any survival thoughts / confidence gained from the Wealdstone win.
    Anything else than 3 points and IMO and i hope im wrong we will be going down again this term. As mentioned on another thread take away all the loan players then a few will leave such as Butters n Wilson etc we will be left with the youngsters and a smattering from this current bunch of leftovers.. if thats the case life in the NLN will be very tough and we could stuck there for quite some time … im normally a glass half full type but it could take years , decades for the club to get back into the EFL proper maybe not in my lifetime ..yes even with the bright spot when Mr Hilton bought n saved the club things are still that gloomy.

Sad times indeed and the fat lady is ironing her frock ready to perform in the very near future.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Registered On:

New Manager?
    Conte is available.

NorthumbironNorthumbiron
    Registered On: January 3, 2014
    Topics: 66

Had enough Contes in charge of this club!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.