Home Forums The New Blast Furnace Newcastle United

Ferrite
    Participant
    Topics: 175
    Replies: 2395

I don’t know how any fan could consider buying a season ticket to that club. Mike Ashley has been bad enough as an owner but if this take over goes through….

Such a shame, I have a lot of fondness for Newcastle from my time living up in the north-east but if ever a city needed a phoenix, fan-owned club it’s the Toon.

Northumbiron
    Participant
    Topics: 248
    Replies: 10962

Non Football surely!

😂😂😂

I’m biased as I can’t stand the shower of black & white shite. It goes back to my student days in the early 70s when I’d wear my Scunny scarf (red & white then of course) around the toon and get roundly spat upon!

There are plenty of alternatives for the lovers of “real” football in Newcastle. There’s the mighty “Heed” who are so well supported they average 800 attendance out of a population of 200,000. Dunstan UTS, Blue Star. Then there are successful non league clubs at Whitley Bay, Morpeth and South Shields.

However most would rather pull on the sweaty polyester and spend Saturday afternoon watching a telly in the pub then moan about Ashley “killing” the club when they find themselves 17th in the PL.

I know some highly intelligent people who happen to be Newcastle fans. However as soon as you start talking about football their IQ drops from 130 to 13!

Not just me neither. I’ve mate’s who support other clubs who say the same.

Pity the pubs are shut. I could do with a bit of sport to liven things up!

TwoWrights
    Participant
    Topics: 29
    Replies: 1794

“Eeee youse divint half tak funnnee.”
    Geordie to Twowrights on our last visit there. Pot, kettle black. 😜

It’s our time.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Ferrite
    Participant

There are plenty of alternatives for the lovers of “real” football in Newcastle. There’s the mighty “Heed” who are so well supported they average 800 attendance out of a population of 200,000. Dunstan UTS, Blue Star. Then there are successful non league clubs at Whitley Bay, Morpeth and South Shields.

As a student in the north-east, I went to St James’ Park once but normally would spend my Saturdays at Durham City, Dunston Fed Brewery (as they were then) or watching Whitley Bay with my cousins who lived out that way.

Never went to Gateshead because the idea of watching a game in that athletics stadium never appealed at all! Bit gutted I never got to see the mighty “Jarrow Roofing”, one of the best named clubs in the country, along with West Allotment Celtic.

Saw some teams from the very depths of County Durham, like Stanhope and Tow Law Town. I think I saw Paul Baker come on as player-manager at Durham once, can’t remember who he was playing for. Maybe Blyth Spartans? It was definitely him, his first shot was a volley!

Awaywego
    Participant
    Topics: 30
    Replies: 599

did any of you see the charltons play at ashington? i know they were born there.

Northumbiron
    Participant

Saw Jackie in the passenger seat of a car in the car park behind Merton Way, Ponteland a few weeks back.

Ferrite
    Participant

did any of you see the charltons play at ashington? i know they were born there.

I’m a bit young for that!

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4166

Saw Jackie in the passenger seat of a car in the car park behind Merton Way, Ponteland a few weeks back.

Shame how it’s turned out for Jack another ex footballer with dementia according to press reports in recent months.

Fifty Pence
    Participant
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 259

I was a student in Newcastle, and have fond memories of the Toon. No grumbling about Mike Ashley back then, everybody was enjoying John Hall throwing money at Keegan’s attacking dreams – one of the most watchable teams ever.
    I remember one Saturday on Northumberland Street when the place was crowded with black and white stripes, and in the distance the crowd was parting, and red and stripes could be clearly seen. As they got closer, you could hear booing rise and then fall quickly – as it became obvious the wearer of the Mackem shirt had Down’s Syndrome and people in Black and White didn’t know how to react.

Awaywego
    Participant

That’s devistatin to hear ironawe he seemed to be a lovely man, hard as nails as was much of that Leeds team,hope he hasn’t forgotten what he achieved, it’s things like that which are so upsetting.

Northumbiron
    Participant

Went to a footballer’s talk-in, probably about the time he was Ireland manager. Peter Beardsley and Chris Waddle were also on the panel.

Jack said “I could never play football. These lads can play football. Wor kid could play football. But I couldn’t. I could stop others playing mind!”

If someone explains to me how to post pictures on here I could prove it.

Northumbiron
    Participant

mistertonmick
    Participant
    Topics: 424
    Replies: 8388

Looks like Saudi takeover has hit World Oil prices badly.

Ferrite
    Participant

https://www.theguardian.com/football/ng-interactive/2020/apr/21/david-squires-newcastle-united-potential-saudi-takeover

Yeah but yeah but yeah but yeah but what about…..

I’d be off to Jarrow Roofing if I were a Newcastle fan.

TwoWrights
    Participant

I wouldn’t, I’d do what I’ve always done, support the team not the regime.

It’s our time.

1 user thanked author for this post.

Northumbiron
    Participant

Most Newcastle fans couldn’t find their own arse with both hands, never mind the way to Jarrow!

Ferrite
    Participant

I wouldn’t, I’d do what I’ve always done, support the team not the regime.

It’s our time.

I understand that approach – to an extent – with someone like Elam because whether you like him or not your club is still your club.

But if I had been a Man City fan I wouldn’t have carried on supporting the team once Abu Dhabi took over. Your club isn’t your club anymore, it doesn’t represent the city like it used to, it’s just a host organism for a regime which wants to gain soft power and improve its reputation. The same would be true of Newcastle when the Saudi government takes over, spending money on footballers that it should be spending on its own people to raise living standards in the country. It all just stinks.

And on a pure football level, I just couldn’t get excited about my club winning a load of games or signing the world’s best players just because my club happened to have incredibly rich owners. It’s like a cheat code on a computer game – where’s the satisfaction to be had there?

Awaywego
    Participant

i am ok with the prem doing it but not for us.

Iron-awe
    Participant
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 4166

The Premiership after its formation is the reason why we have this ridiculous wealth disparity within the game now. Good for the game?,maybe not for 72 members on the football league ladder or 71 as it currently stands and counting.

Northumbiron
    Participant

Just been in our “virtual” pub with a couple of Mags.

Talk about delusional! Draxler, Coutinho and Bale on the way according to them. Why?

Because they’re a big club and why wouldn’t they want to come and play in front of 56,000 every week instead of a shit ground like Chelsea.

Already won the league next season and back in Europe again.

That’s why I prefer Sunderland fans. They expect nowt and are seldom disappointed!

TwoWrights
    Participant

We recently subscribed to Netflix and last night I finished watching the Sunderland ’til I Die series.
    Being the dreamer that I am I was half hoping the results I knew as fact, had somehow magically gone their way. I also don’t blame Jack Rodwell for not tearing up a 70k a week contract, and had a wry grin when Martin Bain (their CEO at the time) spat his dummy out over Rodwell, yet he walked away with a £1m+ pay off, on top of his £1.2m annual salary.
    Always a good day out at Sunderland, and on our visits there always had ‘refreshments’ at the Royal Navy Club on Roker Avenue.

It’s our time.

Ferrite
    Participant

I went to Sunderland as a student, a night game with Quinn & Philipps at their peak. It was brilliant. Can’t remember a better or louder atmosphere in a British ground, the Roker Roar was still audible, even though it was the Stadium of Light by then.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.