New broom sweeps clean

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace New broom sweeps clean

• Author
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

For the first time in my lifetime I see people actually understanding that the club belongs to them. Your Staffys and your Jerrys and many other do-gooders and mean-wells aside, a wider community now seems to be understanding that people can feed their efforts in to the club and a sense of pride will come back out at them.

Look at the gratis works of tradespeople and volunteers to ‘do up’ the stadium with paint jobs and cleaning, etc etc. It’s amazing. I’ve just seen some photos of the exterior paint job, posted on the club’s Twitter, and it really impressed me.

The place is beginning to look like somewhere to be proud of – and we’ve needed that for years. I don’t think any other ownership would have been able to galvanise people like this.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    IronaweIronawe
    Participant
    Registered On: December 31, 2013
    Topics: 40

Agree, off pitch matters appear to be the most positive, galvanised and community focussed for many many years. Despite the level we find ourselves at the feel good factor has come back. A positive close season and start to 24/25 season is vital to keep this going.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Agree, off pitch matters appear to be the most positive, galvanised and community focussed for many many years. Despite the level we find ourselves at the feel good factor has come back. A positive close season and start to 24/25 season is vital to keep this going.

Absolutely agree – but really I’m just looking at the efforts to ‘tidy up’ the physical space. It’s fantastic.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

But haven’t done enough for them to have a place on the fans team lol. Got to work both ways and don’t take fans for granted (and I’m not saying they are) under Michelle, They must try and make things a pleasant experience in all aspects of the club, food, ticketing, cleanliness of the ground tick for that one already, and fan engagement where they seem to trying hard in that at the moment. All quite positive onwards and upwards.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

‘But haven’t done enough for them to have a place on the fans team lol.’

You make it sound like there was a promise or obligation to. I’m sure there are others ways the club can and do express their gratitude to volunteers

2 users thanked author for this post.
    dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

Even you ,Awaywego … with your immediate ‘buts’ ..had to concede and work towards a positive comment. Well done.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

But haven’t done enough for them to have a place on the fans team lol.

As I said yesterday, this comes across as a bit entitled when there is the potential for money to be made.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    dandaherron@yahoo.co.ukJust Iron
    Participant
    Registered On: August 1, 2014
    Topics: 9

ps I may be wrong but there seems to be a not so thinly veiled poke at Staffy and Jerry … ‘do gooders’ and all that. These guys love the club and have been great servants for decades. A bit more generosity wouldn’t go amiss.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

ps I may be wrong but there seems to be a not so thinly veiled poke at Staffy and Jerry … ‘do gooders’ and all that. These guys love the club and have been great servants for decades. A bit more generosity wouldn’t go amiss.

Not at all, I meant it in the most literal sense – ‘those who do good’.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant
    Registered On: December 27, 2013
    Topics: 90

Not only painting job has taken place, which is going all the way around the stadium. The guttering was cleaned out all the way round. The front path was professionally cleaned, which resulted in the SUFC coloured paving once again visible.

In the coming weeks solar panelling is being fitted free of charge which is going to cut the electric bill right down once installed.

Both the 1st team and training pitches are getting fully replaced, which Michelle paid a fee for, but comes with a partnership with said firm who is throwing in pitch maintenance for 2-3 years “can’t remember what she said in the interview”

The iron bar is getting a refurbishment too.

As the OP stated, all mostly being carried out for free. The paint job looks really nice and goes with the Attis Arena signage spot on. Starting to look quite smart now. I think I recall the new catering guy is smartening up the cooking points too and bringing new equipment.

The head of catering comes with a fantastic CV as he did a brilliant job at Hull KR. In my opinion everything is looking extremely promising. Not only do we have owners who love the club, the general public is pouring love into the club. As mentioned above, once all the work is carried out, I’m sure the ground will be looking fantastic by the start of this coming season.

I’ve never seen the ground looking so fresh.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Not only painting job has taken place, which is going all the way around the stadium. The guttering was cleaned out all the way round. The front path was professionally cleaned, which resulted in the SUFC coloured paving once again visible.

In the coming weeks solar panelling is being fitted free of charge which is going to cut the electric bill right down once installed.

Both the 1st team and training pitches are getting fully replaced, which Michelle paid a fee for, but comes with a partnership with said firm who is throwing in pitch maintenance for 2-3 years “can’t remember what she said in the interview”

The iron bar is getting a refurbishment too.

As the OP stated, all mostly being carried out for free. The paint job looks really nice and goes with the Attis Arena signage spot on. Starting to look quite smart now. I think I recall the new catering guy is smartening up the cooking points too and bringing new equipment.

The head of catering comes with a fantastic CV as he did a brilliant job at Hull KR. In my opinion everything is looking extremely promising. Not only do we have owners who love the club, the general public is pouring love into the club. As mentioned above, once all the work is carried out, I’m sure the ground will be looking fantastic by the start of this coming season.

I’ve never seen the ground looking so fresh.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

JI, I’m the same as most I want the club to do well in every aspect. A way to go mind and there’s nothing wrong in highlighting were we
    fail with the hope they will get better.
    I’ll highlight my ticketing issue, having to go down for a third time just to get a under 12 season ticket, should that happen “No” so room for improvement it’s not as though it’s the first time they’ve sold them.

fans6464
    Registered On: February 14, 2015
    Topics: 444

We do live in an age we’re doing good or being is used as an insult,”Do gooder” ” Woke Agenda” “bloody PC brigade”

FerriteFerrite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013

One in the eye for the “my way or the highway” approach of previous regimes.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Being saying for over a decade – ‘The fans want to be involved’. But Mr Swan actually said at a forum turn up, buy a pie and a pint watch the football and then go home’ !!

Now Michelle and the Board want the fans to really be a part of the club and look at the difference. The only thing the fans want is to see THEIR club fighting back and them being wanted. Perhaps money is short for some but they have spare time now and again. Offer them a paint brush or soapy water to wash the seats – they will be there.

And got any ideas then send them into the club you never know they may have overlooked something similar.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Mr Swan actually said at a forum turn up, buy a pie and a pint watch the football and then go home

I would say all previous owners / Chairmen have seen supporters as no more than customers. Even the good one(s).

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017
    Topics: 11

If small community style football clubs are to survive then more fan involvement is a must because the cost and pitfalls of keeping a club in business are colossal these days. Michelle and her board have done brilliantly but they have also had lots of personal and community input to help out along the way, long may it continue.

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

Dictionary
    Definitions from Oxford Languages.
    noun DEROGATORY
    “A well-meaning but unrealistic or interfering philanthropist or reformer.
    “they were not going to welcome bossy do-gooders from far away telling them how to run their lives”
    Let’s hear it for ‘those who do good’ – not the above.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

If small community style football clubs are to survive then more fan involvement is a must because the cost and pitfalls of keeping a club in business are colossal these days. Michelle and her board have done brilliantly but they have also had lots of personal and community input to help out along the way, long may it continue.

I agree. I think it’s important to look past the fact that the stadium itself is a beast by NLN standards. We’re a small club that needs its people.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

Dictionary
    noun DEROGATORY
    “they were not going to welcome bossy do-gooders from far away telling them how to run their lives”

That’s certainly one – but not the only – definition of the term.

Rene ArtoisRene Artois
    Participant
    Registered On: September 18, 2023
    Topics: 137

“Look after YOUR club”

GurnelistaGurnelista
    Participant
    Registered On: April 2, 2014
    Topics: 13

Dictionary
    noun DEROGATORY

That’s certainly one – but not the only – definition of the term.

True, Apollo.

The OL definition is missing something. In fact, ‘do-gooders’ is up there with ‘nanny state’. Both are expressions used sneeringly by the political right when they feel their moral standing is under threat, particularly from those seeking greater social and economic justice. Beware the naysayers.

cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Went down the other day and thought the volunteers have done a cracking job tbh.

It’s to Peter Swann’s embarrassment that he allowed to run it down to such a state after pumping X amount of millions in over the years and supposedly being a hospitality expert.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

“And they will look after YOU” Rene.
    Giving us a friendly on the 27th of July and then another chance to go to the open day on the 28th how benevolent of them.

WonderGoalsWonderGoals
    Participant

Went down the other day and thought the volunteers have done a cracking job tbh.

It’s to Peter Swann’s embarrassment that he allowed to run it down to such a state after pumping X amount of millions in over the years and supposedly being a hospitality expert.

Paint job looks spot on. Wait until the solar panelling is on, Cliff. The stadium will be positively space age !. I can’t quite believe the stadium is going to look the best it’s looked since it was freshly built, after nearly going out of business.

Crazy really. The speed of progression is staggering.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

“And they will look after YOU” Rene.
    Giving us a friendly on the 27th of July and then another chance to go to the open day on the 28th how benevolent of them.

I’d say Michelle saving the club at a critical moment thereby ensuring you have one to support, buying the stadium back from a difficult former owner, putting the stadium into a CIC, harnessing the goodwill in a tangible way with stadium improvements, and repeatedly reassuring that the club belongs to the fans and the community is looking after you.

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

Paint job looks spot on. Wait until the solar panelling is on, Cliff. The stadium will be positively space age !. I can’t quite believe the stadium is going to look the best it’s looked since it was freshly built, after nearly going out of business.

Crazy really. The speed of progression is staggering.

And what a broom. The fans are buying into the project of club sustainability and looking forward to the fjuture.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant

And what a broom. The fans are buying into the project of club sustainability and looking forward to the future.

She is one of the most significant figures in the club’s entire history.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    FerriteFerrite
    Participant

I was against Swann from an early stage, chiefly because I could see that all he was doing was spending money on players. There was no “investment”. Buying players is not “investing” in a club. Building bricks & mortar, improving facilities, putting in place people & processes that can take the club forward: that’s investment. When Swann eventually left, there was NOTHING to show for all that spending. Worse, as a result of all those signings, we no longer owned our own ground.

Swann kept going on about building a new ground but at no point did he show any sign that he could get more out of the existing one. The Iron Bar remained the same, the toilets never improved, fans returning after Covid were told there were plenty of spare seats to choose from if their reserved one was filthy.

Now we have someone who knows what she’s doing but who is humble enough to draw on the skills & expertise of others: making sure you’ve got the right people in the right positions is one of the key jobs of someone running a company. It’s something we’ve not had for over a decade.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Absolutely. She has managed to create a real link between the town and the club now which is something I’ve not seen since following us. The amount of fundraising and work going in from people is humbling, I honestly never thought the town was that bothered about maintaining a professional club, but that’s proven to be wrong.

The attitude seems to have shifted to ‘ what can I do for my club, rather than what can my club can do for me.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.