Needham Market (A)

Iron Bru Forums Blast Furnace Needham Market (A)

• Author
    DragonironDragoniron
    Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 4

Reading the match report on the official website, like the first two games, seems like it’s been generated by AI, some really strange use of words in there again

FiftyPenceFifty Pence
    Participant
    Registered On: January 26, 2016
    Topics: 1

First game I’ve been to for a while. Been watching a few on the telly, and listening on the radio, but it’s not the same.

Wasn’t a great game, and a bit lucky to grab all 3 points. Quite a nice little ground, but hopefully the last time we’ll have to visit it.

The main thing from the game was not the football, there’s definitely some optimism around the club from the new owners, lots of people wearing the new tops (after the very professional launches) and good cheer around. A world away from the atmosphere (angry and depressed) in my more recent games.

Actually looking forward to my next game, and I haven’t felt that way for a while.

4 users thanked author for this post.
    cliffbyrnesrightpegCliff Byrne’s Right Peg
    Participant
    Registered On: October 17, 2015
    Topics: 57

Worth mentioning there had to be 3-400 Scunny fans there tonight- great support.

3 users thanked author for this post.
    ironfromafarironfromafar
    Participant
    Registered On: October 10, 2021
    Topics: 19

Pleased to see the hype from the first two fixtures has moved more into reality .. in truth yes its a great start to the season but performances so far havent been great and IMO last night lucky to get away with the 3 points.
    Im hoping Charlton can bring us more spark up front as didnt look like scoring in open play last night and i hope thats down to the team and formation not gelling yet.

Buxton my surprise package won again and Kiddy/Scarboro are looking menacingly decent.

We will know more after the next 3 games and August is done

TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023
    Topics: 11

Tough league, as we now know. The sort of game that last season we would have blown and conceded an equaliser or lost.
    Onwards to play Chorley, who lost at home to Scarborough last night.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

How many passes went astray?
    How little movement off the ball?
    How many moves with ten passes? Or eight? Or even six? Four anyone?
    Where had the all the superb ‘ball stealing’ at Brackley gone?
    Throws were whistling in towards the penalty spot – did our big guys get to them first? Not very often.
    Long balls are a part of football but lumping it up-field in a constant hit and hope was dreadful to watch and will cost us many points this season.
    I do not think that you can easily trot out five subs in fairly quick succession and keep the team’s balance.
    It was horrid to watch but a good way to wipe hundreds off our home gates.
    We certainly did not deserve three points.

Deereyme66Deereyme66
    Registered On: May 8, 2017
    Topics: 101

It wasn’t the best and lots can be improved and worked on but ot wasn’t a horrid watch IMO, not sure anyone deserved 5/10. Maybe some things were tried that didn’t quite work, but the bottom line is it’s another 3 points and a clean sheet away to a side who defended very well and gave it a good crack.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Seems to be a lot loss criticism from those who attended rather than those who watched on nltv (including me). Just an observation. Not saying anyone was watching on a screen with Premier League specs on or owt…

cassidystashcassidystash
    Participant
    Registered On: January 4, 2014
    Topics: 104

I found it a very tough watch, surprised (and delighted) we got 3 points. So many players way off what they’re capable of. Made picking Fitz as my MOM very easy. Not impressed by Butler this time either, did Jimmy Dean give the pre-match and HT team talk? I didn’t see much evidence of the flexibility of shape that’s talked about.
    Roberts for Barrows – Scales moved to RWB
    Fishburn for Brogan – Beestin dropped to MF
    Law for Kelly – like for like
    Rowley for Beestin – like for like
    Evans for Whitehall – extra defender, hanging on.

Iron-aweIron-awe
    Participant
    Registered On: June 21, 2017

Seems to be a lot loss criticism from those who attended rather than those who watched on nltv (including me). Just an observation. Not saying anyone was watching on a screen with Premier League specs on or owt…

Funny you should say that DM, after attending the Brackley away game I found myself head scratching reading some of the comments by fans who had watched it on TV but hey it’s all about perspective and opinions and we are all entitled to opinions. One thing I do know is you will never boss a game for 90 minutes, that’s a fact of football and you won’t always play wonderful flowing attacking football but coming away from an away ground with a win is a massive plus and generally the sign of a good away performance.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

Much like the Marine game, take the win but we made hard work of it and it was another awful watch. Slightly concerning that we are struggling to play against Marine and Market Needham who are both newly promoted and expected to be relegation fodder this season. Seems ‘Butlerball’ is ugly, direct with no intent to play with any quality. Much like a blueprint of Tamworth and maybe (hopefully) it will work to get us out of this pub league but note that Tamworth are struggling with their style of play at NL level. We have players that are technically good enough to keep possession and play football so can only assume the hoofball is an instruction from the manager. We didn’t deserve the three points but we got lucky so we take what we can. Agree with Lesgo’s point regarding gates though if we continue with this route 1 football. Whilst we are getting the results the crowds will turn up in numbers but when our luck runs out if we lose playing as dreadfully as last night those numbers will drop like a stone.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

Thought you’d be àlong when there’s something to moan about. ‘Drop like a stone’. Such hyperbole for a less dramatic situation

4 users thanked author for this post.
    TheJuryeffsOutTheJuryeffsOut
    Participant
    Registered On: April 1, 2023

It’s National league North 414. Every game is like last night with the odd moment of skill occasionally allowed to occur. Ive said this before but if it was any good nobody would need to bother with Sky subscriptions they would all go to their nearest non league match.
    We need to get promoted out of it and I think we will do it this season but if we don’t I will keep attending matches as will most supporters. Butler and the players know what is expected and I haven’t heard them say anything other than promotion is the aim and expectation this season.

7 users thanked author for this post.
    SideriteSiderite
    Participant
    Registered On: December 12, 2014
    Topics: 78

Reading the responses from some, one would mistake us for having lost 3, scoring none and conceding 7. It’s early days, things might go pear shaped, but it’s not getting carried away to say it’s a good start.

We got good attendances while playing dour football under Jimmy last season. I see no reason why we won’t this season unless we start losing games. Fans are engaged because we are winning more and there is a feel good factor round the club, bar a selection of people grumbling on here. It will stop if we lose more, not because we aren’t playing a carbon copy of Man City or Barcelona.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

On the bright side, performance wise, this is very much work in progress and we’re only 3 games in. We are playing better football than last season, overall the players look fitter, sharper and more on it. Looks like there’s still work to be done but what did people expect? Completely smash every game with free flowing fancy football? Ain’t gonna happen and might not win the league. There’s good talented players waiting in the wings (Carlton, Shrimpton etc) and the players look like they know what they’re doing and have bought in to a plan. Don’t particularly like some of the hoofball and persistent long throws (though I can see why we took that approach last night against a much small team – didn’t pay off – c’est le vie) but each game will be different. My interpretation of some of the more critical and exaggerated views is that some were never happy about Butler being made head coach, Dean getting the shove and Butterfield being released.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I’m not living in Dreamland 414, but I do buy in to a bit of positivity breeding success (and I’m generally sceptical and critical). If I was one of the players and coaches reading some of the comments on here it really wouldn’t motivate and given the hard work they’re clearly putting in, I think a bit more positivity and appreciation is helpful and will inspire them to greater things, reach their potential etc.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant
    Registered On: June 20, 2017
    Topics: 160

Whitehall excluded obviously lol.
    WG hatred of him knows no bounds what has he seen in Carlton that merits him replacing him, shouldn’t we be looking at accommodating both, maybe try Carlton on the wing I think he could play ok there.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

There will be minutes for many lesser seen from the sound of Butler, due to intensity and trying to avoid injuries. Beestin or Whitehall may be due a rest soon. Wouldn’t surprise me if the former is rested next game

mkironMK Iron
    Participant
    Topics: 46

Quick reminder of our first 3 games last season.

At Tamworth we barely kicked the football in the first half let alone kept possession. They scored 1 and should have scored 3. Inexplicably they handed us a goal just before half time which undeservedly got us into a game. We then snatched a scrappy and fortunate winner in a very poor second half.

We then huffed and puffed at home against Peterborough Sports who were probably the leagues poorest side to not get relegated. Drew that one.

Then Rushall away, another team fighting against relegation all season. They created about 6 good chances and scored none. We created 2 chances and scored 3 – the third was a cross from Denton to nobody that looped in.

I watched Tamworth about 5 times last season on National League tv and they never excited me once. Their football never flowed freely. They never controlled possession for long periods. They never looked like not winning the game.

This league is about physicality, attitude, organisation and constantly doing the basics of football all over the pitch. Carry on Butler until we are out of this league.

We won’t be seeing any glimpses of good football until we’re challenging at the top of the league above and we won’t see it consistently until we’re back in the EFL.

Time to put this feeling of “big club” entitlement in the bin and enjoy the muck and nettles.

Iron414Iron414
    Participant
    Registered On: May 30, 2024
    Topics: 0

‘some were never happy about Butler being made head coach’

Correct – predicted he would play the ugly, defensive and direct football we are now seeing.

‘Dean getting the shove’

Incorrect – Was indifferent on Dean, though would still have kept him over Butler. As per Michelle the decision was financial.

‘and Butterfield being released’

Correct – was disappointed to lose him but seeing how direct we are he would have been wasted under Butler.

In the 3-5-2 think Ogle is the bigger miss as would have been better suited to the wing back role than any of our current full backs.

FerriteFerrite
    Participant

I do hope we’re not going to be like England fans and complain even when we’re winning because we’re not winning well enough.

Correct – predicted he would play the ugly, defensive and direct football we are now seeing.

Honestly, I don’t know what to say to nonsense like this. Did you even see a game played until one-plan Dean last season?

lesgeolesgeo
    Participant
    Registered On: December 25, 2013
    Topics: 96

My take is that we did see decent enough football in the Brackley game but precious little last night.
    Marine – we did a job.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I would say NM did a good job of stifling our attacks last night Les, ran their socks off and probably deserved more than no points. However, our fitness and quality won out in the the end. If that’s going to be the story of the season, so be it.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

I do hope we’re not going to be like England fans and complain even when we’re winning because we’re not winning well enough.

Honestly, I don’t know what to say to nonsense like this. Did you even see a game played until one-plan Dean last season?

Well Ferrite, one of your bug bears about supporters not giving the opposition enough respect is coming to fruition. The difference is we’re not miles ahead talent wise like England players are.

Deereyme66Deereyme66

‘In the 3-5-2 think Ogle is the bigger miss’

Funnily enough, watching the game on the stream last night I actually thought to myself, ‘we’re not missing Ogle. Glad he’s moved on. Must ask my Oldham mate how he’s doing’.

AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

To me the pleasing thing is we seem to have a team that can play all different brands of football, not just the one way under Dean, so long as we don’t overcook the one brand we should be fine, teams found it to easy to nullify us last season.
    The only negative was trying to defend the lead last night and bringing pressure upon themselves luckily it didn’t cost us last night, nice start to the season Mr Butler your doing great.

5 users thanked author for this post.
    Deereyme66Deereyme66

Would agree with all of that awaywego

PaulSanfran49
    Participant
    Topics: 70

‘In the 3-5-2 think Ogle is the bigger miss’

Funnily enough, watching the game on the stream last night I actually thought to myself, ‘we’re not missing Ogle. Glad he’s moved on. Must ask my Oldham mate how he’s doing’.

Looking at some of the footage from last season did think Ogle left his position on several occasions and we seemed to concede.

2 users thanked author for this post.
    AwaywegoAwaywego
    Participant

Did Needham set out to win last night? If they didn’t they deserved sod all not like it was a cup game with a big payday from a replay.

Apollo11Apollo11
    Participant
    Registered On: September 21, 2023
    Topics: 37

Reading the match report on the official website, like the first two games, seems like it’s been generated by AI, some really strange use of words in there again

This is definitely happening. Chat Shit GPT.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.